Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:34:18 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Black and white sci fi with alternate earth « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Black and white sci fi with alternate earth  (Read 6966 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: February 23, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »

After viewing THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951), my son asked me to get more movies like that it.  The very first one I thought of I cannot remember the title!

It's a story of an astronaut, I think returning from a mission to Venus, and somehow he gets mixed up with an alternate mirror earth - he's on the wrong earth and the astronaut from that earth is apparently on his "right" earth.  This is like the "Mirror, Mirror" episode of "Star Trek."   

I've seen this movie several times but cannot remember the title.  If anyone has it, I'd be much obliged.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
major jay

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 11:01:37 AM »

Could it be JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN?
It's from 1969, and not in black & white, but it is about a mirror earth.

Small | Large

ulthar

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 11:10:03 AM »

That looks familiar; I've seen that one, and it could be it.

I'm wondering if I'm conflating two movies now, because the one I was thinking of was slower paced (less actiony) and I am pretty sure it was in b&w, and I'm pretty sure there was something specifically to do with Venus.

I'll definitely keep this one on the list, though.  We are big Gerry Anderson fans (and I noticed George Sewell in the clip!), especially "UFO."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:57:57 PM »

Stranger From Venus (1954) is a basic B-movie rip-off of The Day the Earth Stood Still

The Cosmic Man (1959) is another film in a similar vein.

The plot you described though does sound more like Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969)...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:04:47 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
ulthar

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »

The plot you described though does sound more like Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969)...

Thanks!

The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced I was mixing JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN and STRANGER FROM VENUS.  It's been a while since I've seen them, but recall enjoying both.  The B&W one I had in mind had significant scenes with the man 'astronaut' interacting with a woman, a la THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, and the name rings a bell.  I'm sure this is it.

Just noticed too that like THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, STRANGER FROM VENUS has Patricia Neal in it! 

Can move to "solved."  Next time, I'll try to ask about only ONE film per one memory...  Wink

--Real Genius
Pacman000
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 04:09:12 PM »

There was a Twiilight Zone episode with a similar plot.
ulthar

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »

There was a Twiilight Zone episode with a similar plot.

I remember that one; I may be adding it to memory mix as well.  Memory soup.

--Real Genius
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 04:32:28 PM »

I think there may be a Ray Bradbury Theater with a similar plot too...

Pacman000
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »

The Twilight Zone episode was called "The Parallel".  It was an hour long episode from the 3rd season, I believe.  (Looked it up last week.)

I haven't been found a Ray Bradbury Theatre episode, but I may have used a bad episode guide.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 07:15:40 PM »

It's possible I could be thinking of a short story there as I sometimes get the stories mixed with the adaptations but I believe it had something to do with people returning from Mars.

Pacman000
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 08:53:36 PM »

Perhaps "Mars is Heaven" ?  Astronauts find a small American town on Mars.  Not exactly the same, but close.  I believe the same story may have been used in "The Martian Chronicles,"  but I don't know if the mini-series included it.

Episode guide: http://www.innermind.com/myguides/guides/bradbury.htm
darius
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 06:13:27 AM »

I think I know the film you want.  Well "film" is really stretching it. 
1973 TV movie "The Stranger" done by MST3K as "stranded in space" so you can watch it on youtube to see if it is the right one....

The movie stars Glenn Corbett as Neil Stryker, an astronaut from Earth whose space mission crashes on an undiscovered twin planet of Earth, hidden on the far side of the sun. Hospitalized as a result of the spaceship crash, Neil was actually not seriously injured, but his captors use the pretense of his crash as a necessity for hospitalization, giving them time to surreptitiously interrogate him during his sleep by using drugs. Dr. Revere (Tim O'Connor) is clearly concerned by the strain, caught between the concern for the patient but his responsibility to the government.
The twin planet, known to its inhabitants as Terra, superficially resembles Earth, with a recognizable society and technology (right down to identical car models, all Chrysler products), but .....
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Black and white sci fi with alternate earth « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.