Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:17:06 PM
712917 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  JACK THE GIANT SLAYER (2013) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: JACK THE GIANT SLAYER (2013)  (Read 11364 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 05:54:05 AM »

I read an interview somewhere where Tucci basically said 'cgi and 3d sucks and isn't fun to film.'  I haven't seen the movie but it seems like his frustrations may have translated t an otherwise great actor not doing a good job on this one.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 01:53:20 AM »

I see our friends at The Asylum are planning the release of Jack The Giant Killer soon: but I remember a film with that title from the 1960s.  Question

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »

I see our friends at The Asylum are planning the release of Jack The Giant Killer soon: but I remember a film with that title from the 1960s.  Question

You are correct, Trevor. "Jack the Giant Killer" from 1962 w/ Kerwin Matthews as the hero, Judi Meredith as the heroine, and Torin Thatcher as the villain. An almost forgotten film, both then and now, but for those who have seen it, including myself, one of the best fantasy films to come out of the '60's. And unlike this year's film, which is actually based on the English folktale "Jack and the Beanstalk," this one was actually based on the English folktale "Jack the Giant Killer." See it, if you can.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 10:12:19 PM »

Maybe the latest "Superman," which will be out later this year.

As a Superman fan; they better not mess up another Superman movie.

Pacman000
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 11:57:59 AM »

You are correct, Trevor. "Jack the Giant Killer" from 1962 w/ Kerwin Matthews as the hero, Judi Meredith as the heroine, and Torin Thatcher as the villain. An almost forgotten film, both then and now, but for those who have seen it, including myself, one of the best fantasy films to come out of the '60's. And unlike this year's film, which is actually based on the English folktale "Jack and the Beanstalk," this one was actually based on the English folktale "Jack the Giant Killer." See it, if you can.

With stop-motion FX by Jim Danforth, if memory serves.  I believe Columbia sued United Artists because they thought Jack the Giant Killer was too similar to The 7th Voyage of Sinbad.  That's probably why few people have seen it. 

It was released on DVD awhile back.  I still need to see it.
major jay

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »

JACK THE GIANT KILLER played on TCM sometime last year. I thought it was great.
CAPTAIN SINBAD is another cheaper fantasy flick from that era that's pretty entertaining.

alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 02:51:31 PM »

Lois Lane is a redhead.
Jimmy Olsen is a girl.
Perry White is black.
That's just for starters.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 05:13:27 PM »

Lois Lane is a redhead.
Jimmy Olsen is a girl.
Perry White is black.
That's just for starters.

Whoa! That is some major changes. The trailer is out for the film, and while I have not seen a "Superman" since  Christopher Reeve put on the cape and tights. the film is suppose to be one of the darkest versions yet. Maybe a darker version for a darker time. If there is any good news, Superman, as an adult, is played by Henry Cavill, and while I don't know how he'll be in the role, I do know that he is one of the few actors that I have seen who is equally capable of playing the hero or the villain in the film. And Warner Bros. needs a hit.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 05:28:16 PM »

I saw the original last year when Rifftrax did it live.

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2013, 12:43:13 PM »

I really liked the adventure.

I loved the giants.

I ate too much popcorn.

Studios and producers expect too much when it's only three days after release and they're already screaming, "We didn't get back our investment!" and blogs yell, "It's bombing, OMG RUNNNNNN!!!!1!!!"

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »

Studios and producers expect too much when it's only three days after release and they're already screaming, "We didn't get back our investment!" and blogs yell, "It's bombing, OMG RUNNNNNN!!!!1!!!"

I agree.  This is made even more ridiculous when you consider that it was projected to make 30-35 million on opening weekend, and it GASP! only made 28!  Whoa.  That's pretty weak, eh?

As of a couple of days ago, it was at $119 million, so I predict it will have no trouble making back the investment plus a tidy profit.

It's a sad state, in my opinion, where a movie can be #1 on its opening weekend and get the kind of blasting this one has gotten for not doing good enough.  Good grief.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
pizdatrica
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 08:14:17 AM »

as I said in another thread, I found the plot too childish, the rhyming went on my nerves, the giants don't look realistic (like their skin is made of potatoes) and the 3D effects were mostly unnoticable except for a few scenes
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 01:17:57 PM »

the giants don't look realistic (like their skin is made of potatoes)

The giants were earth elementals made flesh, they're supposed to look ugly. Wink

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  JACK THE GIANT SLAYER (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.