Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:03:41 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Mama (2013) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mama (2013)  (Read 2524 times)
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« on: January 18, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »

Wow, I loved this movie.

Right from the girls' first meeting with "Mama" in that abandoned house in the woods I was in love. The opening credits, hauntingly bittersweet music over crude crayon renderings of their life in the wild thereafter, dug the hooks in all that much deeper. From start to finish, Mama retains a feeling of dark loveliness.

I dare you not to shiver the first time that you see the girls in their feral state. Mama avoids the typical "the children are sinister" model wherein they all have orange eyes and stare at the camera while everything around them bleeds ichor. Here, the girls are scary because they truly are disturbed: Lily especially acts quite inhuman most of the time and hardly says a word in her hushed little voice.

Then, of course, there's "Mama" herself. For much of the film she remains indistinct, a shadow in the background or a chilling sourceless voice. She's scary as hell, but once you see her in full glory she becomes something else, she becomes terrifying, deadly, and loathsome - and beautiful. Maybe it's del Toro's hand in the process or perhaps it's simply all Muschietti behind it, but Mama is both so wretched and beautiful that you cannot take your eyes off of her face, ghastly thought it may be. She's a monster to be sure but a monster born out of such tragedy that her vile nature exudes such intense loss that you want to feel for her, despite what your logical mind tells you.

Del Toro's hand is apparent throughout in the small sinister touches of insects and childhood innocence turned morbid and if the director, Andrés Muschietti, isn't a quantum version of the man I am very surprised.

As a horror lover, this gets my absolute seal of approval, well executed with true scares and real emotion. Go see it. Now. Now, do it. Doitnow.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:48:29 PM »

Something moving out of the corner of your eye, a noise under the bed, clothes in a closet brushing together even though there's no breeze to disturb them.  Mama knows what really scares you and keeps it coming hardMama is the kind of movie that uses almost every old cliche in the book, but does it so well that you understand why they became cliches in the first place.  This movie has jump-scares a-plenty but they are the best jump-scares I've seen in years, maybe decades.  The jump scares also manage to serve a purpose: you get so used to jump scares that when something really does happen, it hits all the harder because you aren't expecting it even though you know it must be coming, if you take my meaning.

I also want to nominate Mama for some kind of award for having the balls to follow its premise all the way to the its conclusion.  The last American horror movies I can think of that did that were The Ring and Jeepers Creepers, more than ten years ago (and The Ring doesn't really count).

I agree 100% with SynapticBoomstick: see this one now!

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
dean

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 01:49:19 AM »

I'm excited by this after watching the excellent trailer.  I'm glad it is thus far living up to expectations! Cat wait to see it!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »

I watched this recently. From the very beginning I was hooked. I honestly thought this is going to be one for the records an absolute classic and was loving it. That is until about half way through and you get to see Mama, then it all gets far too cgi Harry Potter and I almost wanted to cry having enjoyed the first half so much. I'm sorry to disagree with the above, but I honestly could not believe how fast it went from being amazing to upsetting like the flick of a switch.

akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:32:56 PM »

I watched this recently. From the very beginning I was hooked. I honestly thought this is going to be one for the records an absolute classic and was loving it. That is until about half way through and you get to see Mama, then it all gets far too cgi Harry Potter and I almost wanted to cry having enjoyed the first half so much. I'm sorry to disagree with the above, but I honestly could not believe how fast it went from being amazing to upsetting like the flick of a switch.

No need to be sorry.  The world would be boring if everyone liked the same things.   Cheers

Personally, I thought that when you finally got to see Mama made the movie.  I was afraid that she couldn't possibly live up to all that build up but she did.  In fact, the friend I saw it with tensed up in his seat and gasped, "Oh my god!" during that scene.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »

Only movie where Jessica Chastain didn't p**s me off BounceGiggle

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Mama (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.