Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:01:36 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sequels and Re-makes that Missed the Point « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Sequels and Re-makes that Missed the Point  (Read 19111 times)
Chainsawmidget
« on: March 15, 2013, 09:09:25 PM »

There are some movies that are just defined by certain facts or a certain theme... then they have sequels that just totally don't get it at all.  This is the read for stuff like that. 

Movies like ...

Highlander where the whole point was "In the end, there can be only one."
Then it has sequels where they go "...except for these other guys we forgot about and if we send in new ones.  Ones from space." 

Then there's Halloween.  In that movie, Micheal is scary because you don't know anything abut him.  He's just a killing machine, pure and total evil.  Then it has a remake that goes into depth on Mikey's past, establishing that he's evil because he had a bad childhood and comes from a white trash family.  Awwww.... feel sorry for the guy. 

So, what else can you think of where the next movie in the series just didn't get the point of the original?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 09:17:26 PM »

On HIGHLANDER, I am with you.
I actually thought that the HALLOWEEN remake was brilliant. The little kid Michael Myers was one of the most creepy characters I have ever seen.  The movie was very raw, but powerful.  However, Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN 2 was a steaming hunk of cinematic excrescence.

THE RING 2 was another sequel that utterly pooped on the original movie.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:29:37 AM »

The Grinch.  Ron Howard's stinking, runny turd of a movie threw in a backstory to make the Grinch a sympathetic character and the Whos the true villains of the piece.  He is really the one who teaches them the true meaning of Christmas.

The ENTIRE POINT of the original story is that the Grinch is a huge, misanthropic a***ole who can't stand other people being any less miserable than he is - for no reason at all.  By the end, he comes to learn that happiness is not brought about by things, but by bonds with other people.  Having learned this lesson, the Grinch becomes a better person, a friend to all, and finally is happy.

Yeah, Ron Howard's movie had pretty much exactly the opposite moral of Dr. Seuss's brilliant story - and it did even that badly.  I have simply refused to watch another Ron Howard movie since then, and I even went so far as to sell all the Ron Howard movies I owned.  The Grinch p**sed me off that much.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 09:43:46 AM »

BLAIR WITCH 2 took a crap all over the original.

Part of what made BW work for me is that throughout, one wondered if the BW was real or just a collection of town myths.  There were some 'unexplained' odd things that had happened around the town, but what town does not have those?

The found footage angle added to that in a meta way - one had to wonder what effect the editing of the 'found footage' was having on manipulation of the story.  What was in the found footage that they did not include?  A group of college kids playing an elaborate prank on the campers?  One wonders.

BW2 threw all that out the window.  It made the witch real in a Hollywood cinematic way ... it's just another horror story about a manipulative, malevolent force.  And, it got kinda cartoonish by the end, which REALLY crapped on the original's attempt at being creative.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »

EXCORCIST 2 and TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2....just...wtf?

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 11:19:22 AM »

GREASE 2, STING II, and CADDYSHACK II, and SLAP SHOT 2 all come to mind.  All were obviously (and shamelessly) made for the sole purpose of cashing in on the successes of the originals and made little or no effort to maintain character and story continuity or to give audiences quality of any kind.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »

GREASE 2, STING II, and CADDYSHACK II, and SLAP SHOT 2 all come to mind.  All were obviously (and shamelessly) made for the sole purpose of cashing in on the successes of the originals and made little or no effort to maintain character and story continuity or to give audiences quality of any kind.

Those three hit the nail on the head....I still can't believe that I paid to see "Grease II".

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »

Isn't that the standard nowadays?  Any successful movie will have a squel.

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »

Isn't that the standard nowadays?  Any successful movie will have a squel.
Yeah, but most sequels at least pretend to put in some effort. 

(Also, my spellchecker change one of my horrible misspellings of sequels into "seagulls".  And yes, I'm fairly sure seagulls put more effort into things than the people that made some of those movies as well.)
voltron

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 04:37:54 PM »

I've named dropped it before, but the Black Christmas remake, besides being totally unnecessary, can stand on it's own two feet as being one of the most hideous atrocities ever committed to film.  Hatred

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 08:19:33 PM »

I've named dropped it before, but the Black Christmas remake, besides being totally unnecessary, can stand on it's own two feet as being one of the most hideous atrocities ever committed to film.  Hatred

I actually enjoyed the Black Christmas remake.  It certainly misses the point of the original and is in a completely different vein (so, it definitely belongs on this list), but taken on it's own, I thought it was a pretty fun, cheesy slasher flick.  Nothing special for sure, but entertaining enough...

For me, I'd throw in Die Hards #3 - 5 (getting progressively worse with each - #3 was still a good movie, but missed a lot of what made Die Hard special in the first place).

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 08:57:54 PM »

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

Nine movies in and all of a sudden someone decided that it would be a GREAT idea to give Jason Voorhees a ton of back story and family history out of nowhere.

To add insult to injury, Jason's spirit "jumps" from body to body throughout the movie, so he isn't even really "Jason" for most of the film.

This movie actually makes Jason X look good.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday

Nine movies in and all of a sudden someone decided that it would be a GREAT idea to give Jason Voorhees a ton of back story and family history out of nowhere.

To add insult to injury, Jason's spirit "jumps" from body to body throughout the movie, so he isn't even really "Jason" for most of the film.

This movie actually makes Jason X look good.
Also, Jason is now a dead-ite. 

On the plus side, it did have one of the better Jason designs and a great opening. 
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 03:02:27 AM »

No mention yet of First Blood compared with all the Rambo sequels?

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
claws
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 07:38:13 AM »

Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987)

We are introduced to a new character named Mary Lou Maloney - a supernatural force with revenge on her mind. This sequel has nothing to do with the first movie, but it's still a fun flick nonetheless.

Most pointless remake is the Psycho (1998) remake.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sequels and Re-makes that Missed the Point « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.