Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:20:51 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (1980) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (1980)  (Read 9255 times)
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 01:00:03 PM »

I recently watched this one for the first time with only the least understanding of why it generated so much stink in the 80's. I had a grimace on my face most of the time. The movie isn't scary in any way as I see it, it's unsettling. The gore effects and animal mutilations alone would just have made it a shock movie but what drove it over the brink for me was that musical score. This was especially so with the turtle (I knew nothing about this scene prior to viewing!) and the dismemberment of the cameraman. They sure hit all the right negative mental notes with that music. Buggedout

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Gory Video Games
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 02:06:44 AM »

One of my favorite movies of all time!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 02:29:41 AM »

I think they went for the rape and animal killing precisely because gore doesn't have much effect on people anymore.  Back in the day gore was shocking.  As people became desensitized to it horror movies that wanted to stand out needed something new.
Back in 1980,gore was a big scare thing in films.
Now-they throw blood and guts around like confetti-it aint scary no more.
You had crap like 2000 MANIACS and low budget s**t at drive ins...and George Romero,of course-but cannibalism wasnt prevelant in film like it is now.Back in 1980-it was still shocking. I just dont like the idea of killing animals for a f**king movie.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:32:41 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 02:42:41 PM »

The movie isn't scary in any way as I see it, it's unsettling. The gore effects and animal mutilations alone would just have made it a shock movie but what drove it over the brink for me was that musical score.  They sure hit all the right negative mental notes with that music. Buggedout

Totally agree.
I've seen it twice and it's that bizarre music that always sticks with me. 
I heard that the Italian justice system actually had Deodato arrested on obscenity charges.  He had to prove to them that it wasn't a snuff film and that none of the actors were actually killed.
As for the animal killing scenes, I just fast-forward through them.

3 out of 5 stars
MrMari
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Keepin' my pimp hand strong since 1975.

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 06:11:15 PM »

I've passed on this one more than a few times. Thanks for reminding me to keep on passing on it. BTW, I pulled the same move after I watched ISOYG. I couldn't get that DVD out of my house fast enough. No thanks. Trash bound.

Gst0395
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 09:16:24 AM »

Yeah, although I haven't seen it, I have heard some horror stories about this one. Apparently the violence was so realistic and explicit that the actors killed on-screen had to show up in Italian courts to prove they were alive and well, and that they hadn't been part of a snuff film. The supposed on-screen animal killings have kept me away as well. I can usually handle violence in movies based on it's context, but that is a no-no for me. This is actually one of the more infamous "video nasties" over here in the UK, and to this day still hasn't been released in a fully uncensored form yet.

I have to admit though, it has a brilliant theme song.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (1980) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.