Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:09:58 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Iron Man 3 (2013) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Iron Man 3 (2013)  (Read 5697 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 29, 2013, 02:21:10 AM »

This weekend I saw Iron Man 3 not once, but twice, with different sets of friends, and I was very pleased.  The budget must have been immense and the direction was excellent.  Robert Downey Jr's lines and delivery were superb as always, and there were some surprising 'incidental' characters who still made an impact.  Watch it to see what I mean.

When I first heard that Ben Kingsley was going to play the Mandarin, I actually felt insulted.  How was an Indian-British actor in his late 60's going to play a hyper powerful kung fu master from China?  How could they do this?  But now that I've seen the movie, I totally understand their choices and I think he was a GREAT choice for that role.  I now officially eat my words.

There's a certain level of political cozying in this movie.  Hollywood and Marvel in particular are now going after the Chinese moviegoing dollar, and to use a maniacal Chinese warlord as the main villain is not going to cut it with the State owned censors.  These are the same censors that pulled the 3D version of Avatar from cinemas two weeks after release, fearing that its popularity would harm local cinema as well as inspire political uprising.

Making the Mandarin into a more contemporary terrorist was a logical way to keep the name but appease the Chinese watchdogs.  The China version reportedly has scenes set in China, with local actors and actresses, too.  The only trace you see of this in the general release version is in the beginning, and at the end.  Blink and you will miss them.  Mainland cutie Fan Bingbing supposedly turns up in the China version but is nowhere to be seen in the general release.

The movie ends with a funtastic credit sequence that does a mashup of all three movies, along with a 60'fied soundtrack.  It's glorious.  And make sure you stick around until the very, very end of the credits.  Marvel movie fans, go see this, switch off your brain and bask in the coolness.  You won't be disappointed.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:06:40 AM »

This is my #1 priority for this weekend when the movie gets released here.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:59:47 AM »

This is my #1 priority for this weekend when the movie gets released here.

Same here!

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 01:15:08 PM »

Cannot wait!

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »

If I haven't seen the first two movies or read the comics should I worry that this will be full of in-jokes and references I won't get?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JayJayM12
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 04:57:31 PM »

If I haven't seen the first two movies or read the comics should I worry that this will be full of in-jokes and references I won't get?

I've never read the comics either, but I was able to jump right in to the first movie and really enjoyed.  Not so much an issue of being able to keep up since it was an origin movie, but wasn't sure if I would like it since I have no history with the character.  Not really an answer to your question, now that I think about it.  I guess I should have left it up to the people who have seen it!

On another note, I just took off work on Thursday to see a marathon of Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Avengers, and Iron Man 3 on the big screen - should be fun...

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Archivist

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 08:07:19 PM »

Rev, it won't matter if you haven't read the comics, and in some ways it's preferable if you haven't.  The comics have a certain level of dating that had to be changed to bring the movies into today's era, as well as changing a few plotlines and ideas to make them more movie-friendly.  If you were a diehard fan - which you wouldn't be, as you would have already seen the movies - you might have other ideas about how the movies were handled.

But I highly, highly recommend you watch at Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and The Avengers before seeing Iron Man 3.  Certain concepts and settings are taken for granted in IM3 that are easier to understand if you've seen the first two.  Someone from Iron Man makes a cameo in the beginning of 3, and it's nice to see that being tied in.  Pivotal events in The Avengers are also referenced, so that is important, too.  It will obviously help you appreciate the third movie as it follows through and ties together the first and the second, and The Avengers.  Oh, and watch Thor before you watch The Avengers, that helps, too.

When The Avengers came out, I took a friend who loved it, but she had not seen any of the preceding Marvel movies.  I cannot think how much more rich her appreciation would have been had she seen the others.  So when we saw The Dark Knight Rises, I made sure that we did the six hour marathon beforehand.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 10:07:30 PM »

Rev, it won't matter if you haven't read the comics, and in some ways it's preferable if you haven't.  The comics have a certain level of dating that had to be changed to bring the movies into today's era, as well as changing a few plotlines and ideas to make them more movie-friendly.  If you were a diehard fan - which you wouldn't be, as you would have already seen the movies - you might have other ideas about how the movies were handled.

But I highly, highly recommend you watch at Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and The Avengers before seeing Iron Man 3.  Certain concepts and settings are taken for granted in IM3 that are easier to understand if you've seen the first two.  Someone from Iron Man makes a cameo in the beginning of 3, and it's nice to see that being tied in.  Pivotal events in The Avengers are also referenced, so that is important, too.  It will obviously help you appreciate the third movie as it follows through and ties together the first and the second, and The Avengers.  Oh, and watch Thor before you watch The Avengers, that helps, too.

When The Avengers came out, I took a friend who loved it, but she had not seen any of the preceding Marvel movies.  I cannot think how much more rich her appreciation would have been had she seen the others.  So when we saw The Dark Knight Rises, I made sure that we did the six hour marathon beforehand.

Like your friend I saw THE AVENGERS and I followed it pretty well, I guess, even though I hadn't seen the other movies. Probably didn't enjoy it as much as someone who had seen them.

BumbleGut
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 12:14:33 AM »

The only super hero movie I've liked so far was the first Dark Knight.  If this is anything like the Avengers, DON'T see it unless you have some kind of interest in comics...I don't and I was bored throughout The Avengers.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 09:33:52 PM »

Saw it today.  Gets the "Fun!" vote from me.

A bit slow in the first act, but Tony Stark lives up to his rep.

I thought the ending was the weakest part, though.  Sorry, it was a bit cliche.

LOVED the end credit extra.  I could not believe people were leaving from a Marvel movie as soon as the credits started to roll.  The theater was packed, and well over half stuck around.

Looking forward to THOR 2.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
The Burgomaster

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:44:50 AM »

I saw it on Saturday and really enjoyed it.  Just a few comments:

1.  The 3-D was disappointing.  The movie would have been fine without it.

2.  As a long-time IRON MAN fan (I have actually owned TALES OF SUSPENSE #39 twice and IRON MAN #1 twice; sold them on eBay . . . but I still have a nice collection of old TALES OF SUSPENSE and IRON MAN comics), I was really disappointed with how they handled The Mandarin.  I mean, he's IRON MAN's arch rival . . . his Lex Luthor . . . his Joker . . . but his "secret" was very disrespectful to the character and the comics.

3.  Oddly enough, #2 didn't aggravate me enough to dislike the movie.

Go see it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 10:33:53 AM »

Save that text so you can cut and paste it into your review of every 3D movie.

The Burgomaster

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 11:05:05 AM »

Save that text so you can cut and paste it into your review of every 3D movie.

I can't agree with that.  I think most animated movies have excellent 3-D effects.  I'd say the live-action stuff is about 50 / 50.  It definitely makes a difference if the movie was shot in 3-D rather than having it converted to 3-D in post-production.

JayJayM12
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »

Loved it - might be my favorite of the 3 (maybe too early to tell).

My only question - why did the kid have the newspaper already in hand?   BounceGiggle

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 03:39:16 PM »

It is not my "type" of film, like most films, which are sequels and based on such characters, so I won't probably go see it, but there are a couple of salient features that I'd like to mention.

What Disney can do for this film and Marvel in general?
a. The contest. Radio Disney sponsored a contest, where someone age 16 or younger, living in the U.S. or Canada, excluding the Quebecoise, could fly to L.A. with a parent or guardian, and power up in one of the suits used in the film.

b. The magazine. The Walt Disney Company publishes a number of magazines geared toward kids. The newest one features Iron Man and the other Marvel characters.

c. The play area. The Disney Magic is going into drydock later this year for a rehab, and one of the areas to get a rehab is the children's area. A part of which will get an Iron Man and other Marvel characters' theme.

d. The theme parks. Hong Kong Disneyland Park will be the first Disney theme park to feature the Marvel characters.

Thus, what Disney can do for Marvel is to cross-promote Marvel across various entertainment venues around the world.

What critics can do for Marvel . . .

Not as bad as I thought, but I was surprised by the number of negative and mixed reviews the film got. Because I really, really believe there is a "type" of film that certain critics just do not understand. This being one of those "types."
Thus . . .

a. They can make a better effort to "understand" this "type" of film, or . . .

b. They can make an effort not to review it.

Of course, again we see where the critics have little or no effort on what people watch. "Iron Man 3," apparently, grossed the 2nd highest weekend opening ever at $175 million, which is exceeded only the weekend box office opening for "The Avengers."

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Iron Man 3 (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.