Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:16:50 AM
714431 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Blackenstein (1973) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Blackenstein (1973)  (Read 7104 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 10, 2013, 08:58:37 PM »

BLARGH!  THIS MOVIE IS AWFUL!

Every bad movie website ever has reviewed Blackenstein, so I thought I had some idea what I was getting into.  Hell no!  Mere words cannot describe how difficult it is to sit through this movie.

There's this Vietnam vet, see, and he's gotten his arms and legs blown off.  His girlfriend takes him to a mad scientist who injects him with some mad science formula.  This makes his arms and legs grow back but, oh no, it also turns him into a monster that looks like the famous monster from the 1931 Frankenstein movie, done on a budget of whatever change was left over from the buck-fifty the makeup guy used to buy his Big Mac and fries that afternoon.  Blackenstein wanders around aimlessly.  Occasionally, he will stare at people for a while.  Then he will slowly lumber in their general direction.  Then he will push them over and wave his hands around.  This somehow teleports some meat scraps pilfered from the local butcher shop into his hands, which he proceeds to wave in front of the camera for awhile.  Repeat a few times, the end.

BLARGH!  THIS MOVIE IS AWFUL!

The Jar may finally have found credible competition for the worst thing I have ever forced myself to watch.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »

Wanna her something really mind blowing-the electrical f/x were done by Kenneth Strickfadden-who also did the labs for the original FRANKENSTEIN (1931) and the BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935)!
But he did do his share of garbage as well-such as MONSTROSITY (1963),FRANKENSTEIN VS DRACULA (1971) and,of course-this train wreck.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 02:46:08 PM »

I display this DVD proudly among my other blaxploitation horror DVDs including:

BLACULA
SCREAM, BLACULA, SCREAM
DOCTOR BLACK AND MR. HYDE
ABBY
THE THING WITH TWO HEADS (okay, so it's 50% blaxploitation!)

Sure, BLACKENSTEIN is bad.  But I love it anyway!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 05:29:10 PM »

guy from Harlem
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 04:15:07 PM »

I display this DVD proudly among my other blaxploitation horror DVDs including:

BLACULA
SCREAM, BLACULA, SCREAM
DOCTOR BLACK AND MR. HYDE
ABBY
THE THING WITH TWO HEADS (okay, so it's 50% blaxploitation!)

Sure, BLACKENSTEIN is bad.  But I love it anyway!

Same here!  We actually named our cat Blackenstein...

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Javakoala
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:56:03 PM »

JayJay, I gotta hand it to you. Your avatar manages to capture all the best parts of the turd that is "Slaughter High". Stupid, stupid movie. Loved it.

And "Blackenstein"...wow. I think putting it anywhere near other blaxploitation films would sully the other films. It almost had an anti-black tone. But trying to give it that much credit is enough to make my head hurt.

Still, as a completely brain-dead film, it is rather entertaining with the right amount of liquor, pills, herbage, pizza and Doritos. Yes, I do mean you will need ALL of them. Especially the Doritos. Oooh, and Pepsi. Man, I love Pepsi.

What is the topic again?
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »

"Blackenstein" the finest in Blaxploitation. ("Koff!" "Koff!")

On the other hand, Blaxploitation or not, I heartly recommend "Blacula," which is an enjoyable movie in its own rights, and William Marshall does a bang-up job as the title character.

"Scream, Blacula, Scream" like most sequels comes up short of the original, but is still not without interest.
JayJayM12
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »

JayJay, I gotta hand it to you. Your avatar manages to capture all the best parts of the turd that is "Slaughter High". Stupid, stupid movie. Loved it.

Couldn't agree more (on the stupidity and the love!)

And "Blackenstein"...wow. I think putting it anywhere near other blaxploitation films would sully the other films. It almost had an anti-black tone. But trying to give it that much credit is enough to make my head hurt.

Still, as a completely brain-dead film, it is rather entertaining with the right amount of liquor, pills, herbage, pizza and Doritos. Yes, I do mean you will need ALL of them. Especially the Doritos. Oooh, and Pepsi. Man, I love Pepsi.

What is the topic again?

Agree again!  I love Blackenstein, but it's hard to rank it amongst the Blaxploitation greats.  It's just a ton of fun.  When we got our black cat, it was a toss up between Blacula (a much better flick) and Blackenstein (just more fun to say when yelling at a cat), so Blackenstein won out.  Personal fav Blaxploitation flick - Darktown Strutters...

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
316zombie
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »

personal fave blaxploitation for me is zombies on broadway. TERRIBLE movie,i adore it!
Javakoala
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 08:31:30 AM »

Personal fav Blaxploitation flick - Darktown Strutters...

I have that saved back on my hard drive...somewhere. Has that ever had a legit release on DVD?
JayJayM12
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 01:31:07 PM »

Personal fav Blaxploitation flick - Darktown Strutters...

I have that saved back on my hard drive...somewhere. Has that ever had a legit release on DVD?

I don't believe so, but it needs to be!  I saw a screening years ago, and, like you, have a copy on my hard drive.  I'd buy a legit DVD in a heartbeat...

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 04:35:12 PM »

I finally got to see this film the other day and....well...wow! It was truly awful. Not fun awful but just plain awful. I'd wanted to see it for years and now....meh!

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Raffine

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »

And Liz Renay is in it!

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Gst0395
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 07:08:48 PM »

Sounds like pure blaxploitation camp at the most. They were probably cashing in on the success of Blacula.
Raffine

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »

To me the scene that sums this movie up is where we get to watch /Blackenstein' walk sloooowly from one side of the lab set to the other. I swear that take lasts 30 minutes, or feels like it, at least.

I do like getting a glimpse of some of the 'Party Record' type comedy at the night club.

For the young'uns: Party Records were albums your parents or your friend's parents kept hidden from the children. They were recordings of usually black comedians like Redd Foxx and Moms Mabley doing really raunchy stand up routines. I think the idea was the grown ups would play these at parties while the kiddies slept innocently upstairs...

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Blackenstein (1973) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.