Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:09:23 PM
714493 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Man of Steel (2013) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Man of Steel (2013)  (Read 13129 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: June 19, 2013, 09:33:04 PM »

Well, its a hit and perhaps the start of a DC shared movie universe akin to the Marvel One.  They wanted to start one with Green Lantern but when that movie failed, so too did those plans. 

I'll say I liked it more then I didn't but that doesn't mean some of its flaws weren't evident.

When this movie started going, IT REALLY GOT GOING.  The action scenes where great-much more an improvement over the lackluster Superman Returns. Also while there are a few nods to the Donner movies-Man of Steel doesn't feel the need to stop and point them out as SR did.  The Christopher Nolon touch, however was painfully obvious in some places.

It was also overly - dramatic in some places. Particularly when dealing with some of Johnathan Kent's moments. 

Back to what I liked.  I like how the Kryptonians where treated.  Like they were still somewhat alien, at least in there ways of thinking. The man playing Zod was intense in many of his scenes, and this played into the final action moments.  And there are a few Easter eggs for sharp eyed viewers.     

So, I liked it. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Archivist

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:53:32 PM »

Man of Steel opens in Australia next week.  Sooooo looking forward to this!

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:32:38 PM »

I thought it was alright.  I actually don't have too many specific complaints, other than it feeling too long.  But, at the same time, I wasn't really thrilled or anything either.

I guess I just didn't find it that enjoyable at times.  It wasn't boring either.  I know these are vague thoughts, but I saw the movie several days ago and I can't really seem to be more specific.  The action scenes are reasonably good.  Cavill is physically a great Superman, and his performance is good (though he's not Christopher Reeves).  Michael Shannon is a solid Zod, though a few times it gets hammy - I blame the script and direction, as Shannon is a GREAT actor. 

I dunno.  I just wasn't really impressed, even though I don't have any major issues.

It's a very low 7/10 from me, I guess.

*****SPOILER******

I still don't get why the kryptonians didn't just find another planet to terraform instead of Earth.  Did I miss something there? I don't recall them saying it would only work on Earth or anything.  Considering if they'd said "Kal, let us take the DNA crap out of you so we can go rebuild Krypton somewhere else" he'd have almost certainly agreed, why go the hard line?

*****END*****
ChaosTheory

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 11:50:58 AM »

Wink

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 05:22:41 PM »

For those who saw it and enjoyed it, it is expected to do enough business that there should be a follow-up sequel.
akiratubo

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »

I enjoyed it as long as Supes was beating the s**t out of people.  Fortunately, that was at least half the movie.  The fight with Faora and Non was worth the whole rest of the movie.

I didn't like this movie's version of Pa Kent.  I won't be spoilerific but I really, really didn't like him.

My main gripe was some of the dialogue was HORRIBLE.  You can REALLY tell what Nolan had a hand in writing.  Fortunately, Snyder took a "let's get past all this stupid talking and get to the ass-kicking" attitude toward things so that wasn't too awful.

I didn't notice any slow-mo.  If there was some it was very unobtrusive.  Could it by Snyder is actually listening to his critics?

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »

I had a great time and didn't have many too problems outside of Pa Kent.  I understand where he is coming from and what he is getting at, but seriously?

Love the part where Superman casually breaks the handcuffs without making it a big deal.  It was like he didn't even notice he had them on for a second.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pacman000
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 03:47:30 PM »

Good movie, I guess.  Different style from the old ones, but I expected that.  Still, I liked the old style better.  At times this felt like a generic alien-invasion film.

Love the part where Superman casually breaks the handcuffs without making it a big deal.  It was like he didn't even notice he had them on for a second.
Ah..Yes that was good. Smile
Archivist

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 08:48:15 AM »

I enjoyed Man of Steel very much, with something to like about just about everything.  I also had some caveats.  The cinematography and direction were very well done, particularly the hand-held camera work and the use of backlighting and flaring to create atmosphere.  The story was quite linear, with only a few jumps necessary to flesh out Clark's beginnings, and the rest was a very simple linear narrative.  The action scenes were heaps of fun.

Something that bothered me was the nagging sense of deja vu during the aerial fight scenes between Superman and the others.  Maybe it was because I was watching The Matrix trilogy this year, but if you watch those scenes, and think of the Matrix Revolutions, you will know what I mean.

Pa Kent?  I didn't mind him at all.  I didn't feel that his character was as fleshed out as it could have been, and Kevin Costner was perhaps wasted a bit in that role.  We've all seen him do considerably more deep roles than Jonathan Kent.

The 'Superman as Jesus/Messiah' angle was played a bit, too.  Some of it a little too obvious, but that's got to be Snyder.  I don't see Christopher Nolan doing something that blatantly.

But those things are minor compared with the much larger enjoyment of this movie.  It's a great reboot and I think the production company have set themselves well for a trilogy.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 10:40:19 AM »

The 'Superman as Jesus/Messiah' angle was played a bit, too.  Some of it a little too obvious, but that's got to be Snyder.  I don't see Christopher Nolan doing something that blatantly.
Did you watch his Batman movies? 

Subtlety is not his strong point. 
Archivist

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 09:13:39 PM »

Did you watch his Batman movies? 

Subtlety is not his strong point. 

I know what you mean, but the Jesus references were a bit much even for Nolan.  Seriously, Clark is in a church and a blazing stained glass window with Jesus is behind his head?

Puma81
Dedicated Viewer

B-movie Excavator

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 03:29:58 AM »

1. For Snyder, this was a BIG improvement. (That's not saying much). It was his LEAST like a Rock N Roll music video, movie, to date.
2. You will LIKE this intense movie if action and cinematography are your priority.
3. You will HATE this awful piece of GARBAGE if Story and Characters are your priority.

It does some things well, and others terribly, and that's why everyone is on the fence.
Snyder should quit directing and take up cinematography. It would be best for everyone.

DRINKING CINEMA! (drinking games for movies) >>>http://drinkingcinema.com/<<<
Archivist

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 09:56:47 PM »

1. For Snyder, this was a BIG improvement. (That's not saying much). It was his LEAST like a Rock N Roll music video, movie, to date.
2. You will LIKE this intense movie if action and cinematography are your priority.
3. You will HATE this awful piece of GARBAGE if Story and Characters are your priority.

It does some things well, and others terribly, and that's why everyone is on the fence.
Snyder should quit directing and take up cinematography. It would be best for everyone.

Not sure how much control Snyder exerted over the cinematography, but Amir Mokri was the DoP for Man of Steel.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0596360/

He also shot Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon, Coyote Ugly and The Joy Luck Club, among many others.  But I do agree, the cinematography in MoS was amazing.

Puma81
Dedicated Viewer

B-movie Excavator

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 12:22:34 AM »

Not sure how much control Snyder exerted over the cinematography, but Amir Mokri was the DoP for Man of Steel.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0596360/

He also shot Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon, Coyote Ugly and The Joy Luck Club, among many others.  But I do agree, the cinematography in MoS was amazing.

Directors all have different levels for how involved they get with the cinematography, but with Snyder films, you can tell that he plays a big role in the visuals. I believe he approaches every scene by thinking about what would look cool.

DRINKING CINEMA! (drinking games for movies) >>>http://drinkingcinema.com/<<<
moregore
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »

Loved it cant wait for Superman and Batman paired together in the next film

✌Shop my Horror, Monsters and Halloween auctions!✌

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Man of Steel (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.