Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:58:32 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Paula Deen Admits to Racial Slurs, (Possibly) Slaughters Career « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Paula Deen Admits to Racial Slurs, (Possibly) Slaughters Career  (Read 13275 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 11:05:07 AM »

It must be horrible to realize you're denied access to something solely due to the color of your skin.

Oh, good grief.  Melodrama like this does not help solve any real world problems.

Using a word or not is denying NOTHING due to the color of my skin.  To equate racism and slavery and such with the use of a word is, in a word, ridiculous.

Hanging someone by their neck simply because they are black (or other) is completely different.  THAT'S racism.

Let's get off the moral equivalence train and exercise some common sense.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 11:26:40 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 11:30:44 AM »

I heard that word a lot as I grew up but we were taught to never be racist....in fact,our Dad was the only full member of the black American Legion in our home town. As I learn more about this case I think it is probably some sort of blackmail gone sour. I just don't think it's fair to use something someone said many years ago as a reason to destroy them. Like no one else has said something they shouldn't have. Only one perfect person ever walked this Earth and and it wasn't Paula Deen. Wink

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 12:25:31 PM »

Here is an interesting perspective on this whole mess:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/352546/guilty-being-southern-lee-habeeb

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 07:02:33 PM »

This is how I honestly see Deen's monstrosities.

This is how you don't make southern food, and I hope that, if this story is true, destroys Deen's career. I hate her with a passion.

yeah no.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 02:19:04 AM »

It must be horrible to realize you're denied access to something solely due to the color of your skin.

Oh, good grief.  Melodrama like this does not help solve any real world problems.

Using a word or not is denying NOTHING due to the color of my skin.  To equate racism and slavery and such with the use of a word is, in a word, ridiculous.

Hanging someone by their neck simply because they are black (or other) is completely different.  THAT'S racism.

Let's get off the moral equivalence train and exercise some common sense.

C'mon, ulthar, we're old debate pals. Surely you can recognize the use of exaggeration to effect. For instance, in this case I was using the inherent ridiculousness of my statements about a very minor social inequality to call attention to a much, much larger social inequality. It's all the better to me because there is nothing factually incorrect in my hyperbolic statement.

"To equate racism and slavery and such with the use of a word is, in a word, ridiculous." I agree. I didn't do that.

Nobody in this thread is arguing moral equivalence in that fashion. It's a great thing that the hatred and denigration that was racism in the first half of the 20th century is now socially reprehensible. There are some wingnuts out there, but you just can't say that s**t in public without opprobrium. I'm glad that, in America at least, we are done with accepting those hateful bigots.

But just because that bizarro racism is gone does not mean that the much more troublesome racism of unexamined social assumptions is gone. We've moved beyond public lynchings, but that doesn't mean that racism has gone away. It was naught but eight years ago during Hurricane Katrina that black people were described in the popular press as looting while white people, doing the exact same thing, were foraging. It was this attitude that I was trying to call attention to through my "too clever by half" statement.

The other thing, this is not a matter of Paula Deen's private statements. The initial lawsuit involves a pervasively racist mentality in the workplace of her brother. Deen is well within her rights to be racist in private, but there are quite a few laws against that attitude when it extends to the workplace. Deen's deposition was made public, which is one of those side-effects of lawsuits. It's not that she made a few racist jokes, it's that it was pervasive in the workplace. (And her plantation-themed idea for a weddding is basically crazy-pants.)

I don't care a whit about Paula Deen. I've never seen her show or read her cookbooks. I will say I am in dismay that her racism is hurting her style of cooking. All of that looks delicious, and I would be happy to eat any of it at any of her restaurants.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 07:08:29 AM »

This is how you don't make southern food, and I hope that, if this story is true, destroys Deen's career. I hate her with a passion.

So you hate her personality, her food, or diabeetus?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 08:40:37 AM »

So you hate her personality, her food, or diabeetus?

I hate how see makes Southern food. I actually wanted, for a long time, to use diabeetus, because mispronunciation.

yeah no.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 09:50:35 AM »

I never watch the food channel, so I can't speak as to her recipes.  However, if it involves large amounts of bacon grease and butter, it sounds Southern to me!!

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 10:01:18 AM »

I never watch the food channel, so I can't speak as to her recipes.  However, if it involves large amounts of bacon grease and butter, it sounds Southern to me!!

There's this:

Doughnut sandwich, this is making Wilford Brimley go nuts with Diabeetus. TongueOut

Also, Bacon grease and butter is not southern, it's part of southern. TongueOut TongueOut

yeah no.
major jay

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 11:25:19 AM »

That looks good. Now I'm hungry.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:31:08 AM by major jay » Logged

Javakoala
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 01:29:50 PM »

While I don't agree with being racist, I don't think Paula Deen's situation really has anything to with racism. She used a word, unwisely, but it was just a F**KING WORD!!!! If she banned blacks from working on her show, her restaurant, and so on, then, yeah, let's roast her over an open fire.

But a word? And her products are GONE from every store that I ever saw carry them. Food Network brushed her off like a lint ball on a suit sleeve. She's now the point of jokes connected with racism. I'm sure the restaurant she is connected with has seen a huge drop in customers.

Sure, she's filthy rich, but she now has no future as anything other than a stay-at-home mom, cooking for her family. Not that I'm bad mouthing stay-at-home moms; I'm just saying this woman ran an empire built around cooking. Now, that is gone. Because of a word.

What the hell happened to this country? Okay, yes, let's keep people safe from discrimination because that is a step forward. But destroying someone over a WORD? That isn't helpful, progressive or justified. It smacks of fascism.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I have no love for Paula Deen. I have no hate for her, either. The woman barely rates a blip on my personal radar because I just don't care. But situation is just a blown-up version of nonsense that goes on most places, and in this "enlightened" country more than we realize.

I've seen people quit jobs because they made the "mistake" of not jumping on the glad-hand bandwagon for someone's crusade. "Oh, you don't want to wear our rainbow ribbon for LGBT Month? So, you HATE people who live an alternative lifestyle! Hater!! Hater in the house!!!" And, like Paula Deen, nothing they say can be used to defend themselves. Kind of like being asked, "So, tell me, do you still beat your children?"

Okay, rant over. Who wants pecan pie?
Pacman000
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 03:59:11 PM »

Me! Me! I want pecan pie!

(Sorry, if this doesn't add anything to the conversation, besides, hopefully, some levity.)
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »

What the hell happened to this country? Okay, yes, let's keep people safe from discrimination because that is a step forward. But destroying someone over a WORD? That isn't helpful, progressive or justified. It smacks of fascism.

Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I have no love for Paula Deen. I have no hate for her, either. The woman barely rates a blip on my personal radar because I just don't care. But situation is just a blown-up version of nonsense that goes on most places, and in this "enlightened" country more than we realize.

I've seen people quit jobs because they made the "mistake" of not jumping on the glad-hand bandwagon for someone's crusade. "Oh, you don't want to wear our rainbow ribbon for LGBT Month? So, you HATE people who live an alternative lifestyle! Hater!! Hater in the house!!!" And, like Paula Deen, nothing they say can be used to defend themselves. Kind of like being asked, "So, tell me, do you still beat your children?"

Well spoken, regardless of who wants pecan pie  TongueOut

You speak truthfully. America's Left and their supporters say things that are, on average, far worse than their conservative rivals. AND get away with it with little or no punishment while the Right always gets slammed into the wall.

Tis newest move to assassinate Deen's career shows the trend of excuse and dismissal of things based on political alignment, and how excessive punishment for one's words is being forced onto the public by the loud minority in the name of "tolerance."   Again, all the while they commit two wrongs in the name of a right.

And again, I'd like to hear the uproar on the Left if it was John McCain or any other right winger hwo made that speech about Obama being "light-skinned, and articulate."
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Paula Deen Admits to Racial Slurs, (Possibly) Slaughters Career « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.