Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:58:12 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies too bad to survive DVD « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Movies too bad to survive DVD  (Read 18950 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 24, 2013, 12:50:44 AM »

There are a lot of bad and good movies on VHS, almost all films have a DVD release after the conversion. But there are very few films so terrible that they never saw conversion and were left behind to remain on VHS until it became movie purgatory. I'd like a list.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:20:31 AM »

really the dumbest movie ever

Small | Large
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »

Not one of Stephen Baldwin's more memorable ones.

That's actually a favorite of mine.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »

There are films which have not had a DVD release, but I have to say that the lower cost of releasing on DVD compared to what it was for a VHS release means they've probably just fallen to the wayside rather than being too bad.  I'm sure quite a few movies are stuck in legal limbo, which I believe is the case for "Moontrap", and then there are others which are just forgotten and not considered profitable to release.  That the Asylum and other companies are cranking out movies like crazy for SyFy and other outlets cannot help the chances for something like "Primal Scream" (1987).

Personally, I've been pleasantly surprised by a number of older movies that have made it to DVD.  Seeing "Bog" on DVD completely surprised me, as have a few others that are just mind-numbingly awful.

Sadly, I wish we could get some of the old sword and sorcery films released - even some of the really bad ones.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 01:51:07 PM »

Actually, Moment by Moment is so bad it's not available on anything.

voltron

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 04:35:26 PM »

I've mentioned this before, but Ken Russell's Whore (1991) has yet to be released on dvd yet. Not a "bad" movie by any means - it really blows my mind that you can find insane amounts of Z-grade garbage (not knocking that stuff, mind you :)) that have legitimate dvd releases, but for whatever reason Whore is not available as of yet.  Question I really can't see a lot of the stuff released by RaeDon making the cut. Then again, stranger things have happened I guess.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »

Badmovies should re-release Tomcat with MST3K type commentary except only sound effects
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 08:31:06 PM »

I was about to bemoan the fact one of my b-m faves HOSPITAL MASSACRE has never seen a DVD release , but I just found this site, which claims to have it

http://www.j4hi.com/page6/page424/Hospital_Massacre.html

Anyone bought from here, or similar places? Is it legit?

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 08:46:17 PM »

Just for the hell of it is a well known one.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 01:15:40 AM »

Actually, Moment by Moment is so bad it's not available on anything.

BounceGiggle TeddyR TeddyR

I actually saw this when it was first released *HITS SELF REPEATEDLY*  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 01:18:32 AM »

Percival Rubens' The Demon  Buggedout Buggedout

Yes, I know it's available on DVD but the master that was used for that and the VHS release is a real crappy one: my place of work has the uncut version on 35mm film and I wish that could be used as a digital master to re-release the DVD and a BluRay if possible.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 08:44:46 AM »

I was about to bemoan the fact one of my b-m faves HOSPITAL MASSACRE has never seen a DVD release , but I just found this site, which claims to have it

http://www.j4hi.com/page6/page424/Hospital_Massacre.html

Anyone bought from here, or similar places? Is it legit?

They are a bootlegger, for sure. They don't own the rights to the titles, they assume the copyrights are abandoned. They're probably mostly duping VHS prints. Quality will be a coin toss.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 10:24:22 AM »

thanks Rev. confirmed my suspicions. I don't really want a DVDr of a VHS copy

btw I thought copyright didnt expire till something like 50 years after being set, wouldn't they be infringing it by doing that on 70s/80s movies? (Not that they probably care)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Pacman000
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 10:41:34 AM »

btw I thought copyright didnt expire till something like 50 years after being set, wouldn't they be infringing it by doing that on 70s/80s movies? (Not that they probably care)
Copyrights last longer than 50 years.  They're betting that no one cares to enforce the movies' copyrights.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 10:49:37 AM »

Determining the copyright status of something is complex, because it depends on the laws in effect at the time the film was made. But basically nothing from the 1980s should be in the public domain, with very few exceptions.

There is periodically legislation in Congress to basically legalize bootlegging by recognizing abandoned/orphaned copyrights as part of the public domain. It would be a great idea but it never gets anywhere, probably because no one has much of a financial stake in passing it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies too bad to survive DVD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.