Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:26:59 AM
714439 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  MIAMI CONNECTION (1987) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MIAMI CONNECTION (1987)  (Read 9787 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 14, 2013, 04:34:37 PM »

A friend of mine stumbled across the 1987 film "Miami Connection" on Netflix the other night and after seeing the hilarious plot summary proceeded to watch the entire film. It quickly jumped into my top 10 list of so-bad-they're-great movies. From what I've read, a programming director at the Alamo Drafthouse bought a print of the film off of E-bay for only 50 bucks and then started showing it to unsuspecting audiences who loved it and it brought down the house everytime. They eventually put out recently a chock full of extras blu-ray of the film but weren't able to use the original camera negative as it was lost/damaged in a hurrican back in 2004. They did find the best elements that they could find and did a pretty good 2K transfer for the film.

I truly don't know where to begin in trying to describe the hilarious insanity that is Miami Connection which features among other things: 1) Ninjas riding motorcycles 2) a band full of Tae Kwon Do experts who are also our main characters called Dragon Sound that perform to entire songs in the film 3) one of the best opening credit songs ever 4) fight sequences that alternate between being competently performed and amateurishly butchered....

Anyway, definitely check out this film. Thanks to Drafthouse Films from literally saving this film from obscurity. Here's a video of some choice scenes from the film to whet  your bad movie appetite!

Small | Large

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 05:12:33 PM »

There was a big article about this movie in Entertainment Weekly some time ago and it's been on my list to check out ever since, I just haven't gotten round to it yet. Looks like a total hoot.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:00:07 PM »

I bought the Blu-Ray of this and it is beyond your wildest imagination. I lost track of how many times I was left with my mouth hanging open at the dead-serious insanity I was watching. Even telling you what is in the movie cannot prepare you.

This is a definite must-own for many members of the forum. I have watched it twice and I've only had it for 10 days.

If you get the movie on disc, you are treated to an alternate ending that is as overblown and cheesy as the ending they released it with.

Movies like this make me glad to be alive.  Drink
MrMari

Keepin' my pimp hand strong since 1975.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 06:48:01 PM »

Stupid Cocaine...

This is one not to miss. I mean...this one is bad. Really really bad. The plot (if you could call it that), the acting, the fight scenes...all of it is bad movie gold. I was out of town when a local theater in my town had a viewing...I was so p**sed. And I heard that many of the actors came to the screening and talked about it afterwards.  Hatred

You can find out more about it here http://drafthousefilms.com/film/miami-connection Even buy a VHS version!

Torgo

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »

I bought the Blu-Ray of this and it is beyond your wildest imagination. I lost track of how many times I was left with my mouth hanging open at the dead-serious insanity I was watching. Even telling you what is in the movie cannot prepare you.

This is a definite must-own for many members of the forum. I have watched it twice and I've only had it for 10 days.

If you get the movie on disc, you are treated to an alternate ending that is as overblown and cheesy as the ending they released it with.

Movies like this make me glad to be alive.  Drink

It makes a great double feature with Samurai Cop too.
Small | Large

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Javakoala
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 12:09:31 AM »

Oh, Torgo. I don't know whether to thank you or curse you.

Miami Connection has NOTHING on Samurai Cop. Oh, good gravy, is it ever a freaking mess!

I've actually watched it twice since getting it yesterday. The second time was with Amy, my lovely lady. She laughed so much that it was worth the purchase price. Horrible editing, setting inconsistencies within the same scene, frightful dialogue, and the constant fun of guessing when the main character's hair is a wig or the real thing.

Incredible doesn't even begin to describe this film, and I've seen some whoppers in my time.
Francesco Dellamorte
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:03:03 AM »

Samurai Cop is in a league of its own.

I downloaded Miami Connection, but I've yet to watch it. I guess I'll have to get on that.
molokai cargo
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 12:29:15 PM »

Friends for Eternity,
Honesty Loyalty.
We stick through Thick and Thin
major jay

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 12:20:03 PM »

Friends forever,
We'll be together,
We're on top,
Cause we play to win.

major jay

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 06:50:55 AM »

This is pretty great!

Small | Large

MrMari

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA I love it.

Paquita

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 01:02:18 AM »

I know this is a several month delayed reaction, but - AH!  I just watched this on Netflix!!  If anyone hasn’t seen it yet, you have to stop what you’re doing and see it now!

Even telling you what is in the movie cannot prepare you.

I think it can!  Prepare yourself for:
•   An abundance of brotherly love
•   Crying
•   Serious shirtlessness (including, but not limited to, physically unfit men and women)
•   Very awkward dialogue
•   Friendship
•   Unexpected gore
•   Dibs on being the first to shower
•   Ambitious ideas

I wish I saw this before Christmas so I could have asked Santa for it!!! 

Was anyone else reminded of Michael Jackson's Beat It video while watching this?  I swear some of the clothes are the same.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 08:47:39 AM »

I finally got around to watching this on Netflix last night... and fifteen minutes in I was already saying to myself, "Hallelujah, I do believe that I have reached the TOP of Bad Movie Mountain!"  TeddyR

Seriously, "Miami Connection" was abso-frickin-lutely hilarious. I'm still not sure which was worse, Y.K. Kim's mush mouthed attempts at "acting" in English, or his facial expressions during fight scenes.

Other highlights: the guy with daddy issues ("my mother was Korean and my father was a Black American!") the suspiciously fake looking beard on "Jeff," the guitar player who rocked the John Oates mullet and mustache combo, and the music...oh, Lord, the music. I've had "Against the Ninja" going through my head all day.

Dragon Sound Against The Ninjas Small | Large

(Side note: the gal singing lead vocals on this one is cute. If that's really her singing, she's got a decent voice too. She reminds me of Pat Benatar.)

Did they release a soundtrack album to this movie? Cuz if they did... I want one. TeddyR

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
MrMari

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 12:09:28 PM »

Did they release a soundtrack album to this movie? Cuz if they did... I want one. TeddyR

Welcome to the Miami Connection lovers club. LOL

Yes, you can get a digital download of the Soundtrack here: http://drafthousefilms.com/film/miami-connection

They pressed some 7" vinyl singles but it looks like they sold out of those.

"Stupid Cocaine..."

Nanagalonious
New Visitor

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 08:08:33 AM »

It truly is one of those stand-out bad movies. It's one you can watch with someone who isn't into the bad movie thing and they'll still enjoy it.
I really want to get some of the action figures at some point.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  MIAMI CONNECTION (1987) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.