Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:59:48 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Scenes & themes from other movies that inspired Directors: The "Clever" Ripoffs « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scenes & themes from other movies that inspired Directors: The "Clever" Ripoffs  (Read 4481 times)
claws
« on: August 24, 2013, 08:05:27 AM »

Not talking about blatant ripoffs, rather about movies that seemingly got their ideas from other movies and only YOU noticed. For example, watch Joseph Reuben's thrilling cult film The Stepfather (1987)

and follow that one up with Douglas Hickox' made for cable TV thriller Blackout (1985)

Similarities: atmospheric small town w/ autumn leaves setting (Identical backyard scene), domestic slasher theme, assumed Identities theme and the giveaway: exact same foggy bathroom mirror scene.

Verdict: The Stepfather contains at least 70% Blackout DNA.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:47:39 PM by claws » Logged
claws
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 08:15:59 AM »

Here's another one. Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

... got most of its ideas from Alan Rudolph's Barn of the Naked Dead (1973)

Similarities: people with car trouble stranded in desert, nuclear/bomb testing site, crazed disfigured mutants.

Verdict: The Hills Have Eyes contains at least 60% Barn of the Naked Dead DNA.
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:47:43 AM »

Similarities: people with car trouble stranded in desert, nuclear/bomb testing site, crazed disfigured mutants.

I've not seen this. Is it worth watching? Looks good.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 04:06:31 PM »

I've not seen this. Is it worth watching? Looks good.

My comments on it are here:  http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html

If you're a fan of 1970s drive-in horror and exploitation movies, you should definitely see it.  However, you won't find it to be very shocking or anything.  It's just a typical drive-in movie.  I enjoy it only because it brings me back to a time in my life that I will never be able to repeat.  The good old 70s.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:11:26 PM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 12:51:40 AM »

Single White Female (1992) ripped off the entire plot line of the South African film Sweet Murder (1990) with Embeth Davidtz - the director of the latter film told me that he was devastated by this but could do nothing about it.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 09:07:40 PM »

Any comments on the City on Fire/Reservoir Dogs-Thing? You could argue that it's more a remake than a ripoff, but Tarantino still says that he didn't know the movie beforehand.

claws
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »

John Carpenter's Halloween (1978)

... was obviously inspired by Torso (1973)

Similarities: one specific scene in Torso showing the killer preying on its victim in a swamp: eerie shot of the masked killer just standing there (like Michael Meyers would later do) accompanied by a very pre Halloween-ish score.

Verdict: Halloween contains at least 100% Torso DNA.
Bushma

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:36:55 PM »

If Disturbia borrowed any more from Rear Window they would have just called it a remake.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 03:12:10 AM »

The Demon ripped off Halloween in a big way. TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 08:49:31 AM »

Ok check this out-

the familiar SHINING music...

The Shining opening credit Small | Large

Now! Check out the opening music to the SCREAMING SKULL..
hmmm....starts at 1:38...same music....!!!!
Kubrick ripped off the SCREAMING SKULL!!!!  Thumbup

THE SCREAMING SKULL (1958) - Full Movie (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

Watch it on you tube

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 12:48:10 AM »

Any comments on the City on Fire/Reservoir Dogs-Thing? You could argue that it's more a remake than a ripoff, but Tarantino still says that he didn't know the movie beforehand.

That's completely BS if he said it - he's an admitted huge fan of HK cinema, and borrowed numerous bits (visuals and occasional storytelling devices) from various HK films.  However, the way they tell the basic story and the "lessons learned" are quite different in Reservoir Dogs than City on Fire.  Some of this, I thought, had to do with Eastern VS Western conceptions of loyalty and honor.  I don't think QT really did a disservice, and there are enough differences I wouldn't call it a straight up ripoff.

City on Fire actually isn't that great of a film, by the way.  Some good acting, and a couple OK action scenes, but not much else.  Reservoir Dogs is much better.

For an example that goes in the opposite direction, there's another Chow Yun-Fat film called Full Contact.  It clearly is the same storyline as the 60s Lee Marvin flick Point Blank (later adapted again as the Mel Gibson vehicle Payback).  Interestingly, ALL THREE films have a lot of their own merits.  Once again, certain character fates differ - again because of different values about honor, loyalty and brotherhood.  Full Contact is also an impressively grim film - worth checking out to contrast with the other two.

On a random note, the really awful 2001 film Head Over Heels almost shot for shot borrows a scene from From Beijing With Love.  The Chinese film, in that case, is FAAAAR superior, and plot wise they don't have a lot in common. 
Javakoala
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »

The other day I saw a movie described as a woman hiding out in a convent of "gay nuns on dope." So I start watching it. 15 minutes in, I'm thinking I've seen this movie.

I had.

Sister Act is a blatant and uncredited (as far as I can tell) ripoff of Dark Habits. Sure, DH is waaaay darker in tone than SA, but the basic story was lifted mostly intact from the earlier film. Pedro Almodóvar should sue.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Scenes & themes from other movies that inspired Directors: The "Clever" Ripoffs « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.