Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:52:04 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most pointless 'remake' of all? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Most pointless 'remake' of all?  (Read 49090 times)
VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 10:03:47 AM »

I am actually very fond of the King Kong remake.

and don't forget how GREAT it's original sound track was! (1976) Smile

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »

Don't 98.9% of remakes qualify? The only good remakes I can think of are The Maltese Falcon and The Man Who Knew Too Much.
The Fly, Scarface, Cape Fear... There's a few...
INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978) and INVADERS FROM MARS (1986) were both good. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Bushma

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2013, 09:06:52 PM »

Ok, I just read this and want to share so I won't be the only one saying "WTF?!  WHY?!"

Stargate director and co-writer Roland Emmerich recently told DigitalSpy he plans to restart his franchise
We went to MGM, who has the rights, and we proposed to them to do a sequel, but as a reboot," Emmerich said. "Reboot it as a movie, and then do three parts. That's what we're doing right now, and pretty soon we'll have to look for a writer and start.

Yeah, they are rebooting Stargate to make it into a trilogy. 

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2013, 09:22:47 PM »

Why a trilogy?  Why not two movies?  or four?  five? 

Haven't we seen enough horrible trilogies to have killed off the idea that three movies automatically makes things awesome? 

DrSpunkwater
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2013, 08:28:39 AM »

I really disliked the A Nightmare On Elm Street remake. Why turn Freddy in to a pedophile?
I thought he already was...

I don't know what Nightmare on Elm Streets crackers was watching, but Freddy's always been a pedophile. That'd be the reason a lynch mob burned him alive.

Sorry I have to disagree. The reason for the lynch mob was because he killed the kids ( as seen in the first episode of Freddys Nightmares). There was never any reference to him being a pedophile, that I saw anyway. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Apparently subtlety is lost on some, which would explain the state of movies. It was strongly hinted at in the movies, though never outright said. In addition, seeing as Freddy's a serial killer, the odds of rape being included in his acts is overwhelmingly probable.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »

Arthur II  stank on ice. Even though he kept the money and married the woman he loved he was still an idiotic drunk.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2013, 08:27:36 PM »

Re the "was Freddy a pedo or not" question: It's been ages since I've seen any of the N.O.E.S. series but I could swear he was referred to as a "child molestor" at least once in the original and possibly some of the earlier sequels.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 12:38:34 PM »

Burton's Planet of the Apes. What a waste of time.

I enjoyed that remake myself.  Smile

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »

Carrie, the trailer gives away all the major plot points. It might as well be plain texts that says, "We know you've seen this before so we won't try anything different."
I've been seeing the trailer for CARRIESISSY SPACEK may have been sexy, but no beauty.  Kind of a real girl face, even mousy.  This new "Carrie" is quite attractive.  I see car wreck, I see bucket o' mud (probably one of their "reimaginings"  Lookingup) maybe it just looks dark and it's still pig's blood.  Really?  When will remakers learn?  Maybe it'll be great...  Question

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2013, 02:02:57 AM »

Ok, I just read this and want to share so I won't be the only one saying "WTF?!  WHY?!"

Stargate director and co-writer Roland Emmerich recently told DigitalSpy he plans to restart his franchise
We went to MGM, who has the rights, and we proposed to them to do a sequel, but as a reboot," Emmerich said. "Reboot it as a movie, and then do three parts. That's what we're doing right now, and pretty soon we'll have to look for a writer and start.

Stargate: The Goa'uld Menace.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2013, 01:35:22 PM »

I will throw in my two cents here, and add The Thing (2011) on to the list. Yes, I know that it is supposed to be a prequel of sorts to the outstanding 1982 Kurt Russell vehicle, but aside from the use of English-speaking Norwegians and the questionable logic of assigning a couple of women to a remote Antarctic weather station full of dudes who are most likely horny as hell, the movie's plot really didn't deviate all that much from the vastly superior 1982 film of the same name. "Vastly superior" due, in large part, to the simple fact that CGI gore is just not that scary.

The practical effects used in the 1982 film is really what made that movie so impressive; Rob Bottin was really at his best in that one, I've always believed. So when you have CGI tentacles bursting out of a CGI body, your CGI-weary eyes that were weaned on 20 years of bad Jurassic Park cartoony effects are going to call b.s. whenever they see it (check out the most recent Hobbit movie for a great example of when CGI goes wrong), subsequently you're not going to get scared.

It really added nothing to the overall story, since it was supposed to be a prequel, then we must include the 1982 film as part of the story as well. But this movie still felt like a remake and not a prequel, because the 2011 film plot and scene sequencing basically mirrors the 1982 film almost exactly, except with different characters. The acting done in the 1982 film was also much better, with bigger named actors going on to do bigger and better things after that one (Kurt Russell, David Keith, Richard Masur, etc.). Though, I must admit, Mary Elizabeth Winstead was a large reason why I rented the 2011 film because...well, just look at her.! hot

Ultimately though, the world could have done without the 2011 film, as it really added nothing to the overall story. It merely revisited it, which to me qualifies as a remake, and was therefore pointless.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »

yeah I agree, can't believe anyone thought the 1982 'Thing' could be in any way improved/updated etc... not even bothered to watch it. spot on about the CGI stuff as well...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2013, 06:35:58 AM »

(check out the most recent Hobbit movie for a great example of when CGI goes wrong)

Now I'm geeking over the Pale Orc again. After three movies of fully physical in-camera guys made up to look like orcs, they made a computer-generated one. He was fine as a character, just not one that required CGI to realize.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »

Yeah, Mr. Pale Orc has got nothing on the Uruk-hai fellow from the Fellowship of the Ring movie. He was the big crewmember fellow on the Black Pearl from the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2013, 03:13:23 PM »

Carrie, the trailer gives away all the major plot points. It might as well be plain texts that says, "We know you've seen this before so we won't try anything different."
I've been seeing the trailer for CARRIESISSY SPACEK may have been sexy, but no beauty.  Kind of a real girl face, even mousy.  This new "Carrie" is quite attractive.  I see car wreck, I see bucket o' mud (probably one of their "reimaginings"  Lookingup) maybe it just looks dark and it's still pig's blood.  Really?  When will remakers learn?  Maybe it'll be great...  Question

I see your point abut Sissy Spacek..she was sexy in that Mid-Western "girl-next-door" look-the peaches and cream country girl look.  She had lovely
 hair and seriously beautiful blue eyes, kind of that budding beauty look.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most pointless 'remake' of all? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.