Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:34:01 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
Author Topic: October Horror Movie Massacre!!!  (Read 125144 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 11:21:34 AM »

Oh gawd I remember that theme music - they played it over and over throughout the entire movie.  My brain had turned into some sort of inert gelatinous mass by the time I got to the end.   Buggedout

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 12:15:33 PM »

Oct 1

Silent Hill: Revelation (2012) (Blu-ray)

Supernatural forces are luring a young woman to Silent Hill: Demonic creatures captured her father. For some reason the first Silent Hill did nothing for me, but I found more entertainment in Revelation. The first 30 minutes are laughably silly/bad, but once the film gets going you are in for a fun time. Great visual effects and glossy gore. 3.5/5
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 07:20:47 PM »

Movie # 2
Wrong Turn 3 Left For Dead

For some insane reason I own the Wrong Turn trilogy on blu ray... Just one of the reasons I stay off the amazon deals page these days. Anyways the hillbilly freaks are back for more mayhem in this third installment. Right off the bat we see a bunch of young people going rafting get taken out and then were on to our main plot. Basically some prisoners need to be transferred and its up to two cops to transport them through the woods. Soon enough the hillbillies have driven them off the road and its a free for all as the convicts try to get freedom. Actually thought this twist had some promise but I soon lost interest. Everything from acting, writing, to the effects lack any real point of interest. I really have to get rid of this "collection" I don't even really like the first one all two much and the second was about as bad as this.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 08:35:48 PM »

Movie #2

Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein

There's nothing I can tell you about this movie that you don't already know.  It's just pure classic Universal Monster greatness mixed with a healthy dose of classic comedy.  
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:47:31 PM by Chainsaw midget » Logged
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 09:32:58 PM »

Movie #3
Curse of Chucky (2013)
A Chucky movie in 2013... Straight to video... How could this possibly be any good? Turns out its not just good but great! After basically turning into a joke in the last 2 entries director Don Mancini (writer of every chucky thing ever) brings back some suspense, some 80's style cheese and some great sfx and cinematography. Brad Dourif's daughter Fiona is the wheelchair bound lead of the film and is a clear highlight among the actors. As for Chucky well he does what Chucky does. Highly recommended for people looking for movies to add to their October marathon.
Small | Large
claws
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 03:29:30 AM »

10.02.13 (2)

The Bay (2012) (Blu-ray)

Small coastal town falls victim to a deadly outbreak during their 4th of July celebration. Environmental Found Footage Horror from Rain Man (!) Director Barry Levinson, who uses all types of cams to good effect. The Bay is very similar to The Thaw (2009) so that should give you an indication of what to expect. I thought it was interesting that the film came with an actual movie score soundtrack, as most found footage movies usually don't use any for "authenticity" . 4/5
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 05:13:45 AM »

10.02.13 (2)

The Bay (2012) (Blu-ray)

Small coastal town falls victim to a deadly outbreak during their 4th of July celebration. Environmental Found Footage Horror from Rain Man (!) Director Barry Levinson, who uses all types of cams to good effect. The Bay is very similar to The Thaw (2009) so that should give you an indication of what to expect. I thought it was interesting that the film came with an actual movie score soundtrack, as most found footage movies usually don't use any for "authenticity" . 4/5

One word: eyeball. Right?

I loved watching this, the whole idea was horrific and well done TeddyR. It was a good call to make the people with the camera a news team; as with REC, it's more real when the person with the camera has a reason to film the events. I've seen more than a few "found footage" movies where the guy filming will say, "I'm not sure why I'm filming this", or, "Yeah, it's pretty dumb to be filming this, but...". Don't do that.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
SynapticBoomstick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 06:30:49 AM »

3. Blood Tide

All I knew about this movie going in was that the jacket spoke of virgin sacrifies to a monster and that it starred James Earl Jones. Holy crap. Such a name I would never have dreamed showing up in this collection. So I sat down with some family and watched it. Oh my god. This movie is the best thing ever.

A man and his wife come to a small town situated upon the hills and cliffs of an island off the coast of Greece. The man's looking for his sister, an artist who, I think, went there to become a nun and, I know, is restoring an old painting for the nuns. The mayor and most of the locals are none too keen on having outsiders around so Big Brother has to snoop around and soon finds Young Sister in the company of her friend, Frye, and his Typical Blonde girlfriend, Sherry. Frye likes to drink and speaks in Shakespear quotes. Guess who plays him.

Small | Large

YES. I havn't seen a lot of Jones' filmography but this one is forever my favorite until either the hot or cold death of the universe. His deep baritone makes even the oddest lines kick your ear-butts and he completely takes to the role of a man escaping the world to live on his own time and by his own rules, including the proper way to open a melon: by punching the living bejeezus out of the b*****d.
Small | Large

Frye's rules are also a bit lax in honesty with the local government, for you see Frye is a archaeologist with an appetite for treasure and has been gathering up loads of old coins from inside a cave, no doubt of which is probably off-limits,  deep under the island. These coins didn't just accumulate there by themselves, though - in ancient days, the area was beset by a horrible monster that could only be appeased by virgin sacrifice. In treasure-fueled greed, Frye blows open a bricked-off archway in the cave. Oops.

Things begin to go wrong from here and a body count slowly begins to tick upwards. Of course, the locals blame the strange occurences on the outsiders. The truth eventually comes to light when the monster helps itself to a nun-fat diet and begins to hunt down Younger Sister. Can Brother, Frye, and the Mayor pull it together in time to save her, themselves and the village from the creature?

Rating: Charleston Chew, melty and chewy goodness
Out of 5: 4 (+2 James Earl Jones, +1 location, +1 melon punching)

I think I've found the stand-out film in the Sci-Fi Classics 50-Pack. The cramped, rural town is my kind of place (even with the angry flying cats) and I'm 100% positive that after every day of shooting, Jones and José Ferrer, the actor who played the mayor, would hang out and drink, talking and shooting the breeze with their awesome voices. The only thing holding Blodd Tide back from a full 5 is that you only see the monster once or twice and only for a few seconds. It's effective but I like the creature design and would have liked to see more of it.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 07:07:02 AM »

I liked Blood Tide so much I bought it on its own DVD - the Mill Creek version was preventing me from seeing the scenery as well as I would have liked  Smile

We started watching The Fall of the House of Usher last night.  Fell sound asleep in the middle of it.  No matter how much I like Edgar Allen Poe and Vincent Price, I just don't care for this movie at all.  A guy goes to visit his fiancee in her big mansion which she shares with her brother (Price).  Price is an utterly morbid character who's convinced that his family is under a curse - for generations they've suffered from heightened senses which eventually drove most of them insane.  His sister, having absolutely no mind of her own, lets Price convince her that she's suffering from this disease even though she always appears to be in fine health.  Of course the fiancee wants to get her out of the house etc.  It's just...tiresome.  Whatever suspense or sense of dread existed in Poe's novel did not make it to the screen.  At all.

Then we started watching Dracula 2000.  It's a pretty fun vampire movie about an antique dealer who's got ol' Drac tucked away in his vault, but then some folks steal him (they can't figure out how to open the coffin but assume it must be full of something extremely valuable).  Hyde from That '70s Show is one of the thieves, and then you've got Jeri Ryan (7 of 9 from Star Trek Voyager) in it as well.  So Dracula's out again in New Orleans and causing all sorts of havoc.   Christopher Plummer as the antiques dealer adds a nice gravity to the otherwise cheesy proceedings.  We'll have to finish that up tonight.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:21:56 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
SynapticBoomstick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 07:44:21 AM »

If I opened a coffin and a Dracula movie co-starring Jeri Ryan came out, I'd consider that treasure. BounceGiggle

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2013, 08:09:29 AM »

gonna start this weekend since this week is Midterms. :I

yeah no.
ChaosTheory
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2013, 10:45:21 AM »

Day Two:

SPARE PARTS (1979)
(NSFW, some nudity)
Small | Large

A couple on their honeymoon get attacked by a pair of guys driving an ambulance.  The wife escapes by flagging down a trucker.  Once she's convinced him of her story the two try to work out a plan to find the husband.  More of a Robin Cook-type thriller than outright horror, this was pretty enjoyable.  6.5/10

FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED
Hammer horror starring Peter Cushing as the titular doctor, who's looking to operate on a former colleague's brain in order to get him to reveal some secret formula.  Like all the Hammer pics, this has cool-looking gothic sets, tempera-paint gore and women in flimsy nightgowns.  5/10

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
SynapticBoomstick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »

4. The Wasp Woman

A somewhat eccentric scientists collects royal jelly from wasp queens for possible application in commercial products. I think he should scrap that idea and patent the technology that allows him to collect royal jelly from non-royal-jelly-producing insects and sell it to entomologists. His pursuits get him fired from the honey business (wasps don't produce honey, either) and he gets picked up by a cosmetics company when he brings his work in to showcase the jelly's potential uses in their products. The head of the company, see, is also its face, and she's getting old, into her *gasp* mid-30's! So she's might interested in the jelly's anti-aging/age revering properties - the best part of that scene being when the scientist uses his serum to turn an old guinea pig into a young rat.

OMG HIS GUINEA PIGS ARE ACTUAL GUINEA PIGS ROFL

Of course, the company head wants to be his first human test subject, but she eventually can't wait for results any longer and one act of desperation is all it takes to set things off on a course for disaster.
Small | Large

Rating: Twizzlers - Eh.
Out of 5: 2.5 (+1 riffing damage, +1 company bonus, +.5 for being moderate)

It doesn't stand out in particular to me. It isn't noteworthy but it's not a bad story, either. You can relate: "What would you do to hold onto the image you fought hard to achieve?" It also plays with The Dangers of Science, a perspective that I always enjoy, especially if that science is flawed because then you can make fun of it!

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2013, 01:49:17 PM »

Movie #3
The Beast of Bray Road

(Kind of look like the werewolf from Thriller on Meth, doesn't it?)

So, this is my second low budget movie about a guy in a suit playing a hairy monster.  Weird.  Anyway, this is a low budget Asylum movie about a real* monster that terrorized Wisconsin.  The Beast of Bray Road ends up turning into a fairly standard werewolf flick. 

It's not that great, but it does have a nice cryptozoologist character. 

*depending on how skeptical you are**

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2013, 06:38:21 PM »

Movie #4

Freddy vs Jason

I've also read the two sequels they did in the comics, both of which added Evil Dead's Ash and the necronomicon to the mix.  One of them even brought back ever surviving character from the previous Jason and Freddy movies.  ... there were far less of them by the end of that series. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  October Horror Movie Massacre!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.