Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:46:07 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  the WILD BUNCH (1969) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: the WILD BUNCH (1969)  (Read 2319 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: October 19, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »

Theres an old,very old,town hall here in Lawton.It got turned into a mini flea market.Sell old vhs tapes. I bought an ass load ,including the WILD BUNCH (1969)
As far as westerns go-this is the BEST.
Lotsa folks think this is a downbeat film.Not true.It;s about brotherhood,laughing and drinking in the face of death.
It's a celebration of life-not death.
I love it-
Let's go.
Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 10:59:18 AM »

I can't say enough about this movie! It's revolutionary in that it was the first Hollywood feature to make good use of bloodbombs as a prop. It was set in the twilight of the Old West, and did away with the cliche "showdown at high noon" settings, while simultaneously turning the "Mexican standoff" into an art form. It was Sam Peckinpah's best film, where everything just clicked right together. There were artistic metaphors at every turn in this movie, from the scorpion fighting hundreds of ants to the death at the start of the film (which was a harbinger of the final battle scene at the end), to the two children stuck in the middle of a bloody firefight also at the start of the film witnessing death right in front of them; the loss of innocence. Awesome acting. And last but not least: Ernest Borgnine!

This was one of the last of the truly great western films, in that it did away with everything that made them great to begin with. It was a masterful technique of throwing all western film tradition out the window, for sake of showing us the "cowboy sunset" of the era. Masterfully done!

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 01:54:06 PM »

The "presaging" scorpion and ant battle tells us from the gitgo that innocent or not, death is part of life, as is cruelty.  The children do set the scorpion and ants on fire... don't they?   Question 

A case could be argued that THE WILD BUNCH is a downer.  It's great whatever it is. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 02:20:05 PM »

The "presaging" scorpion and ant battle tells us from the gitgo that innocent or not, death is part of life, as is cruelty.  The children do set the scorpion and ants on fire... don't they?   Question 

A case could be argued that THE WILD BUNCH is a downer.  It's great whatever it is. 

I would have to watch it again, but I don't remember the two blond-haired, blue-eyed, angelic kids hanging out with all the Mexican kids at the scorpion/fire ant roast. It would be quite ironic if they were though. Oh yes, I forgot to mention Sgt. Hulka from Stripes as one of the members of the Wild Bunch; it barely even looks like him!

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »

Definitely one of my favorite westerns.  In fact, even though it's not my absolute favorite (without ranking them in strict order, I'd say SHANE, THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, RIO BRAVO, and THE WILD BUNCH are my 5 favorites), it's probably the western I have watched more times than any other.  The cast is great and the classic Peckinpah shootouts are stunning.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
jimpickens
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 01:21:28 AM »

One of the best westerns of all time the predecessor to Heat Extreme Prejudice and all the other stylized movie gunfights that came after it plus it along with the Graduate were the first two movies to get R ratting.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  the WILD BUNCH (1969) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.