Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:13:56 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Grabbers (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Grabbers (2012)  (Read 8510 times)
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« on: December 15, 2013, 04:01:07 PM »

Bloodsucking tentacled monsters attack an Irish island. There's just one catch - alcohol is toxic to them, so if they suck the blood of a drunk person, they'll die. The islanders get stinking drunk to make themselves inedible to the creatures. Definitely a fun little movie. Nabbed this on a whim at Wal-Mart and quite enjoyed it. Definitely ten bucks well spent.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:16:34 AM »

This has been on my wish list for a while (I love monster movies - even most of the bad ones).  It has had good words spoken of it by viewers in forums, and the creatures look more interesting than normal.  Now I really need to see it!

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Flangepart

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:27:37 AM »

Drunken Irishmen, and tentacled monsters. How could it fail, with an opportunity like that?  Smile

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
claws
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »

This is actually a good movie, and shouldn't be in bad movies  TongueOut
Enjoyed this film quite a bit. Lots of fun.
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »

Well, it isn't bad, but it is a cheesy monster movie, and everyone else posts those here, so...  BounceGiggle
Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 06:18:18 PM »

(Singing)-
 I like Cheese.
Cheese Is good.
Not bad movies, just mis-understood.
Cinematic Bree from A to Z.
I-Like-CHEESE!

The Awful Doctor Orloff
New Visitor

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 05:27:51 PM »

The problem with this movie is that if you've seen "Tremors", which I think most of us have, you're going to spend the entire film thinking: "This is Tremors only in Ireland". The CGI is very poor, the joke about Irish people all being alcoholics who deal with every problem by getting creatively drunk wears thin well before the end, you have to watch many, many scenes of sober actors pretending to be drunk, which is almost impossible to do, and the best joke - villagers trying to fight unexpected monsters in a country where almost nobody has legal guns arm themselves with improvised weapons which are hopelessly crappy - could have been handled a lot better. If you want to see a recent low-budget independent Irish film which is better than this in every respect apart from not having any monsters in it (though a lot more guns) and is much more laugh-out-loud funny in surprising ways, you might want to check out "The Guard".
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 11:00:19 AM »

It's a good thing that it was made in Ireland though. If it had been made here in the United States, political advocacy groups like the Ancient Order of Hibernians, the ACLU, and even President O'Bama our half-Irish king Himself, would have stepped in and condemned the project for being "racist" against Irish people.

I'm not calling this movie "racist" at all; Irish people should be allowed to make fun of their own stereotypes, because everybody knows that the Irish love to drink. I'm simply illustrating the silliness of American feel-good politics, where everything is offensive to somebody, everything is a political issue, and everybody gets a soapbox and a trophy.  Cheers

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 11:41:36 AM »

This one turned up on Netflix last night so I added it to my "list" to check out later. Looks like a hoot.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »

Hey - an Irishman is never truly drunk as long as he can hold on to a single blade of grass and avoid falling off the surface of the earth!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flangepart

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »

Ah, ya went and open da door, lad.

Pat and Sean are lost in the alps, trapped in the snow.
Day see dis huge St. Bernard, wit a cask round it's neck, sloggin' towards 'em.
Pat says "here comes mans best friend."
Sean says, "Aye, and look at the size o' da dog bringin' it!"

Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 04:07:59 AM »

The problem with this movie is that if you've seen "Tremors", which I think most of us have, you're going to spend the entire film thinking: "This is Tremors only in Ireland".

So? Plenty of blatant copycat movies can be fun. Simply being a copycat doesn't automatically mean something sucks, no matter what the guys over at Jabootu and the Agony Booth say (seriously, they see Alien and Star Wars ripoffs in everything).

Besides, tentacled monsters on an Irish island make this remind me of 1966's Island of Terror more than [iTremors[/i].

The CGI is very poor,

But the practical effects are good.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 04:27:05 AM by Kooshmeister » Logged
Flangepart

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 09:20:10 AM »

So? Plenty of blatant copycat movies can be fun. Simply being a copycat doesn't automatically mean something sucks, no matter what the guys over at Jabootu and the Agony Booth say (seriously, they see Alien and Star Wars ripoffs in everything).

Besides, tentacled monsters on an Irish island make this remind me of 1966's Island of Terror more than [iTremors[/i].
[/quote]

Very true. The usual story layout is pretty predictable. But if it's told well, and some extra touches are included, I say, bring it!

Course, this bit from POLICE SQUAD might make for an interesting plot...

Frank Drebin: "It's the same old story. Boy finds girl, boy looses girl, boy searches for girl. boy finds girl. Boy loses girl in tragic blimp accident.

Woman: "Goodyear?"

FD: "No. The worst."

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 11:15:50 AM »

Simply being a copycat doesn't automatically mean something sucks, no matter what the guys over at Jabootu and the Agony Booth say (seriously, they see Alien and Star Wars ripoffs in everything).

Which were themselves ripoffs of older movies. Alien (1979) was a ripoff of It! The Terror From Beyond Space (1958) (about an alien on a ship that massacres the crew) and Star Wars (1977) blatantly ripped off the Dune (197?) movie that was in production in the early 1970s but was sh!tcanned and not released until 1984 (Sarlacc the Sand Worm, anyone?).

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 11:12:34 AM »

I wanted to like this more than I did, but couldn't.  Would still give it a 2 out of 4, but once the characters in the know bring everyone to the pub the movie mostly went downhill.  I say mostly, because the huge grabber was pretty fun to see in action.  No idea why eating the one drunk guy didn't hurt it.  My best guess is that the one guy's moonshine was the actual poison, due to methanol content?  In that case, the frustratingly eggheaded scientist fellow should have offered that as a possibility.

My biggest complaint is that the required alcohol indulgence was painfully contrived and didn't seem to do anything.

Another problem was how the monster was literally too fast for anything human to survive encountering it at the beginning of the film, but it appeared to get slower later.

Did love the monster design, like something straight out of a Lovecraft story.  The grabbers remind me a lot of star vampires, which were a Robert Bloch creation, I believe.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Grabbers (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.