Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:34:45 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Were you told of the 'Boogey Man' when you were a child? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Boogey Man?
Yes - 5 (33.3%)
No - 9 (60%)
Other - 1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Were you told of the 'Boogey Man' when you were a child?  (Read 5205 times)
claws
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:59:50 AM »

if not the Boogey Man, then who?
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »

if not the Boogey Man, then who?

I grew up during a civil war so there were enough boogeymen right there without there being one under my bed or in the cupboard.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Javakoala
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:58:44 AM »

Oddly enough, it was other kids who told me about the Boogey Man. Just goes to show what mean little sh!ts kids can be.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:10:05 AM »

When I was a kid, my aunt and uncle had a summer home in Cape Cod.  My cousin Paul is about 2 years younger than me and I would spend a lot of time with him every summer at his parents' house.  Our cousin Gary, who was a teenager when Paul and I were in grammar school, would also spend some time with us in Cape Cod.  One summer night, we were in the living room watching TV.  My cousin Gary stood up and started looking out the window.  He said he saw "the man in the white pants" walking around outside.  He kept mentioning the "man in the white pants" throughout the summer.  I don't think he ever made up any stories or told us who "the man in the white pants" was supposed to be.  But I remember thinking that it was scary to have this guy roaming around outside the house at night.     

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:16:31 AM »

Nope, I wasn't told of the Boogey man.

yeah no.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 12:24:41 PM »

I was told about the Boogey Man, and me and my cousins used to tell our little cousins that he was going to get them, and we'd laugh our asses off (that was until our mothers got ahold of us, lol)

tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 02:40:28 PM »

Our Dad was a policeman so he never bothered with the Boogey Man....he warned us of the real people who could harm us.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 03:05:51 PM »

My cousin Todd (three years older) told me about the Boogy Man, who would "get" me, whatever that meant; he also told me that if I jumped off the garage roof with my mother's umbrella, I'd float down like Jiminy Cricket....I bought it all.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »

My cousin Todd (three years older) told me about the Boogy Man, who would "get" me, whatever that meant; he also told me that if I jumped off the garage roof with my mother's umbrella, I'd float down like Jiminy Cricket....I bought it all.

A bit off the topic here, but with regards to jumping off the roof with umbrellas, my cousin Jim and I got our asses beat for doing the same thing...I was around 4 or 5 and Jim was 7 or 8, and we jumped off of the first story roof with umbrellas as parachutes after seeing some WW2 movie with Airborne soldiers in it. Funny thing is, the umbrellas actually slowed our falls when we hit the ground!  Funny thing wasn't, what happened when we were caught doing it...
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:21:41 PM »

Nope, never got told that either by other kids to scare me for cruel amusement or by parents to scare me into straightening up and flying right, or anything like that.  If someone did I'd probably just laugh at the name, because it sounds too close to "booger".

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 06:31:30 AM »

I don't remember ever being told about the boogey man.  I heard about him someplace I suppose but it wasn't from my folks or other kids teasing me.  Too bad, I was a little turd growing up and it might have helped  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Muscle Hedonist
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 12:25:39 PM »

Yup; when I was alone at home he'd ring the door bell so I should just ignore the door bell. That was when I was extremely young though - first few years of preschool young.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 02:40:14 PM »

A bit off the topic here, but with regards to jumping off the roof with umbrellas, my cousin Jim and I got our asses beat for doing the same thing...I was around 4 or 5 and Jim was 7 or 8, and we jumped off of the first story roof with umbrellas as parachutes after seeing some WW2 movie with Airborne soldiers in it. Funny thing is, the umbrellas actually slowed our falls when we hit the ground!  Funny thing wasn't, what happened when we were caught doing it...

The summer before I started first grade, I showed my sister how to jump out of a tree without hurting herself.  And I fractured my wrist.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »

I wasn't told outright by anyone about any 'boogeymen.'

However, we had to do a book report around 4th grade.  I was around 9.  I checked out of our school's library almost every book on the subject of ghosts and parapsychology.

I had my own demons and boogeymen to face.   Buggedout

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 09:10:51 AM »

Luckily no...that would have seriously f**ked me up. I had too much imagination as a kid already. I remember going to a small local museum with my class and there was a blurry photo which was supposed to be a gathering of witches...so I started to believe in the stereotypical evil witch. And to top things off the following night we had thunder and I couldn't sleep because I thought the witch is coming to get me.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Were you told of the 'Boogey Man' when you were a child? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.