Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:06:57 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Gwyneth Paltrow thinks you can hurt water's feelings by yelling at it « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gwyneth Paltrow thinks you can hurt water's feelings by yelling at it  (Read 1937 times)
claws
« on: June 05, 2014, 11:39:53 AM »

Gwyneth Paltrow loves nothing more than imparting life advice to her followers, and while that advice has dabbled in the pseudoscience before, it's rarely been as totally off the rails as the May 29th edition of her newsletter goop. Paltrow begins:

I am fascinated by the growing science behind the energy of consciousness and its effects on matter. I have long had Dr. Emoto's coffee table book on how negativity changes the structure of water, how the molecules behave differently depending on the words or music being expressed around it.

She then turns the newsletter over to her health guru, Habib Sadeghi, who continues:

Japanese scientist, Masaru Emoto performed some of the most fascinating experiments on the effect that words have on energy in the 1990’s…In his experiments, Emoto poured pure water into vials labeled with negative phrases like "I hate you" or "fear." After 24 hours, the water was frozen, and no longer crystallized under the microscope: It yielded gray, misshapen clumps instead of beautiful lace-like crystals. In contrast, Emoto placed labels that said things like "I Love You," or "Peace" on vials of polluted water, and after 24 hours, they produced gleaming, perfectly hexagonal crystals.

Masaru Emoto, the water whisperer of whom Paltrow and Sadeghi are so fond, has a bit of a following in New Age-y circles, and was featured favorably in the popular 2004 documentary What the #$*! Do We Know!?. Few scientists have tried to debunk his claims since they're so self-evidently ridiculous. "Have I tried to reproduce Mr. Emoto's experiments? No, and I don't intend to," writes Caltech physicist Kenneth Libbrecht, an expert on snow crystals. "As we liked to say back on the farm in North Dakota — it's good to have an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out!" Libbrecht's best guess — and the logical explanation for Emoto's findings — is that he's selecting pictures of crystals that fit his findings and rejecting those that don't.

Poppy reproduced the three jars and added a fourth labeled "Michele Bachmann" at which she yelled Michele Bachmann quotes. None of them turned black. None of them rotted. All of them fermented but smelled gross. The "You're an Idiot" jar got a bit of mold, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that was dumb luck rather than mold feeding on the rice's poor self-esteem:

It's almost as though water is not able to read English text.

As quackery goes, Emoto isn't as dangerous as vaccine denialists or televangelist faith healers; his main takeaway from the rice experiment is that it shows you should talk to your children rather than ignoring them, a point which I didn't realize needed popularizing but is nonetheless correct. But generally speaking, endorsing and spreading nonsense is bad for the world, and given goop's reach it's unfortunate that Emoto's particular brand of nonsense is getting a hearing.

Source:
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »

From the article:

"Japanese scientist, Masaru Emoto performed some of the most fascinating experiments on the effect that words have on energy in the 1990’s…In his experiments, Emoto poured pure water into vials labeled with negative phrases like "I hate you" or "fear." After 24 hours, the water was frozen, and no longer crystallized under the microscope: It yielded gray, misshapen clumps instead of beautiful lace-like crystals."

So Toho grew Godzilla's next foe in a test tube, huh?   BounceGiggle
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 01:10:56 PM »

Makes the hippies who were sending good vibes to their plants seem positively scientific in comparison.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 11:54:24 PM »

Ghostbusters II

Be kind to slime.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Gwyneth Paltrow thinks you can hurt water's feelings by yelling at it « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.