Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:34:23 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My Fourth of July Musings . . . . « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: My Fourth of July Musings . . . .  (Read 6806 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: July 04, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »

Every year on the Fourth of July, there is a lot of talk about our Founding Fathers and America's "founding principles." This is as it should be when we celebrate our nation's independence.  Anytime people discuss such things, there is always some disagreement as to exactly what those "founding principles" were, and how we should apply them today.  It is worth noting that there are three ideas that are so central to our country that they have been enshrined in the only place where every single American will see them almost every day of their lives: on our coins.  Get out a quarter, or a nickel, or a dime, and what words do you see?
  First of all, in bold capital letters, the word LIBERTY.  Liberty was so precious to our founders that they risked their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor against the most powerful empire in the world rather than relinquish even a little of it.  The American colonists were not any more ill-treated than their British cousins on the other side of the Atlantic - in fact, their tax burden was considerably less.  But they had no voice in the British government whatsoever, and in their minds, that was no better than slavery.  For all our faults, and all our gripes about our Congress and President, every American citizen today takes part in the process that chooses them.
   Secondly, you see the Latin phrase, E PLURIBUS UNUM. Literally translated: "out of many, one".  Being American is not a matter of being any particular race, religion, or creed.  It is adherence to a set of ideas that molds us as a nation and makes us one people.  As we are constantly reminded, we are a nation of immigrants.  Every race and tribe of mankind has representatives in the 320 million population of the USA.  A common dream, a breath of freedom, a longing for equality - those are the ingredients that make up the American character, and they know no race.
  Last of all, and most important - IN GOD WE TRUST.  Most Americans, sadly, don't even know that phrase is adapted from the last verse of our National Anthem - "Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, and this be our motto: In God is Our Trust."  Although our founders shared a variety of religious beliefs, all of them believed in an Almighty God who presided over the fate of nations.  Their belief in "divine Providence" and "the Supreme Judge of the world" is written in the Declaration of Independence, and was written in their hearts in letters of fire.  They trusted God to see them through the darkest hours, because they believed in the justice of their cause.  On this Fourth of July weekend, let us remember their faith and do our best to share it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 04:13:23 PM »

"For all our faults, and all our gripes about our Congress and President, every American citizen today takes part in the process that chooses them." 

Yeah and look who we chose again, but since this is the 4th let's look at the bright side:

We have GREAT healthcare coverage, coverage so good in fact that illegal aliens go the head of the class while our own veterans die from being on extended waiting lists.....  Bluesad

New this fall and just in time for the Holidays and Congress' lame duck sessions: The Barack Obama Do-It-Yourself Ruin The Country Kit.  Comes with a pen, paper, a phone, and Joe Biden's personal hotline.   Don't wait, act now and order yours today!

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 04:19:06 PM »

Please excuse my somewhat negative attitude today, guys. Still getting over the loss of my Butterfly kitty a few days ago.  It'll get better and so will I trust me. Just hurting a bit now is all...
VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 04:19:45 PM »

We have GREAT healthcare coverage, coverage so good in fact that illegal aliens go the head of the class while our own veterans die from being on extended waiting lists.....  Bluesad

I read about that kinda stuff all the time. I just don't understand who is letting ALL this happen ^

It's sad what is happening to this great country.

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 04:26:53 PM »

America's kind of like popular music:  it used to be good once upon a time.  And the fact that I can remember back that far just makes me realize how old I am.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »

We have GREAT healthcare coverage, coverage so good in fact that illegal aliens go the head of the class while our own veterans die from being on extended waiting lists.....  Bluesad

I read about that kinda stuff all the time. I just don't understand who is letting ALL this happen ^

It's sad what is happening to this great country.

Even sadder that our Greatest Generation risked their lives to give it to a generation that turned it into a garbage heap...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 08:30:39 PM »

Wow.  Cool it.  We still live in the greatest nation on the planet.  And we're celebrating Independence Day any way we can. 

Please excuse my somewhat negative attitude today, guys. Still getting over the loss of my Butterfly kitty a few days ago.  It'll get better and so will I trust me. Just hurting a bit now is all...
Your cat died?  I can relate to the loss of a beloved one.  I've lost every kitty I ever owned, and not to death, except the last one.  It always hurt. 

Do remember what our own Indy wrote: E PLURIBUS UNUM  Disagree as we might, we are all AMERICAN.  To be an AMERICAN one just has to be born here.  It took me a while to realize how fortunate we all are to live in the greatest country on Earth. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 07:42:38 AM »

Wow.  Cool it.  We still live in the greatest nation on the planet.  And we're celebrating Independence Day any way we can. 

Your cat died?  I can relate to the loss of a beloved one.  I've lost every kitty I ever owned, and not to death, except the last one.  It always hurt. 

Do remember what our own Indy wrote: E PLURIBUS UNUM  Disagree as we might, we are all AMERICAN.  To be an AMERICAN one just has to be born here.  It took me a while to realize how fortunate we all are to live in the greatest country on Earth. 

Yeah, we're all American, but at this point, it's clear that there really isn't any real objective for us anymore.  It's a crime to work for a living these days...as long as people get free stuff and handouts and do nothing to show they're worthy of it, I guess this will continue.

In my town, the 3rd of the month is welfare and Social Security day.  The lines at the liquor store are like opening night at the Rialto..

I see these tank topped, tattooed young guys with their 200-some pound flip-flop and short-short-wearing wives and girlfriends coming out of the store loaded with booze, with their young kids carrying it for them sometimes.

Little kids.  One time this guy beat his kid for dropping a 12 pack of beer he was too young to carry.  And then you have the fights that break out because the liquor store won't accept welfare cards.

And I ask myself, is this what "the greatest nation on Earth" has become?    Bluesad

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 09:36:11 AM »

Yeah, we're all American, but at this point, it's clear that there really isn't any real objective for us anymore.  It's a crime to work for a living these days...as long as people get free stuff and handouts and do nothing to show they're worthy of it, I guess this will continue.

In my town, the 3rd of the month is welfare and Social Security day.  The lines at the liquor store are like opening night at the Rialto..

I see these tank topped, tattooed young guys with their 200-some pound flip-flop and short-short-wearing wives and girlfriends coming out of the store loaded with booze, with their young kids carrying it for them sometimes.

Little kids.  One time this guy beat his kid for dropping a 12 pack of beer he was too young to carry.  And then you have the fights that break out because the liquor store won't accept welfare cards.

And I ask myself, is this what "the greatest nation on Earth" has become?    Bluesad
I tried reaching you, but you're focused on anecdotal crap that is not particularly relevant or insightful.  I'm left with one thing to say to you:  FADE. 

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 06:44:05 PM »

Since this is my thread, I'll say something to each of you:

Umaril,  try to look on the brighter side of things.  There are still many Americans who work hard and do the right thing.
AHD, you know our history and how much I respect you, but sometimes the "anecdotal crap" does illustrate unfortunate truths about
the unintended consequences of creating a welfare state.

Now both of you PLAY NICE!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 10:07:41 AM »

Umaril,  try to look on the brighter side of things.  There are still many Americans who work hard and do the right thing.
AHD, you know our history and how much I respect you, but sometimes the "anecdotal crap" does illustrate unfortunate truths about

I won't be defending your perspective in your own threads anymore.  You may agree with certain observations, but you entered above that fray making a good point from which you now mincingly back off.  Ugly political postings don't belong on this forum.

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »

I tried reaching you, but you're focused on anecdotal crap that is not particularly relevant or insightful.  I'm left with one thing to say to you:  FADE. 

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

AHD:
As usual, the Pink Panties award goes to your sweet little derriere for instantly going for the throat because you didn't get the response you wanted and because I disagreed with you.  If you keep this up, you'll really be able to make a living off of your used panties in those Japanese men's room vending machines, because no one can wet themselves or make a stink better than you when upset.Think of all the little single horny Japanese and American men you'll making happy.

Don't think for a minute that I don't know that you tried whining to everyone else on this board to get me banned in the past. Unlike you I can handle my own affairs without dragging everyone else in.  I don't need anyone to hold me up.  So since you're the same antagonistic loser you were here years ago, thinking that your tenure here gives you unlimited abuse privileges, (and the right to try to ban people on your sole word) don't think for a minute that that scares me. I have the same right to defend my position.

I too am American, and have rights to an opinion too, and because it doesn't revolve around you, or anyone else's ideals, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Now be a good little girl and carry your daddy's booze back to the car, and try not to spill it on mommy's dollar store flip flops..

yours truly,
Umaril.

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 12:16:40 PM »

I won't be defending your perspective in your own threads anymore.  You may agree with certain observations, but you entered above that fray making a good point from which you now mincingly back off.  Ugly political postings don't belong on this forum.

Neither do you, with your pseudo-intellectual BS you sell everybody.  You do this to everyone, you act like you're the head of the Home Owner's Association for Free Speech. You have no right to tell others what they can or can't say. This is America, as you so gleefully point out. Opinions, for better or worse, are part of the game. I don't know who you think you are some days, but you're nothing to me.

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 12:21:37 PM »

Umaril,  try to look on the brighter side of things.  There are still many Americans who work hard and do the right thing.

Kudos to you, Indy, for being a gentleman and recognizing my point instead of throwing it in the trash in lieu of a flame war. Shows who the real gentleman is.  HUGS  Cheers

Indy, I have to respect the fact that this is your thread, but I have a few things to say to AHD and I have said them.  Whether this gets me canned here, or not, is of no consequence. AHD thinks he runs this place, and he does NOT.  I do NOT have to back down to him, and I won't. I told him that I'll let this one go this time out of respect for the board, but I won't stand for it again.  I'm tired of him thinking he's the deciding factor about who gets banned here and who doesn't.  He's not going to stifle my right to an opinion or threaten my existence here. This isn't his website.

I hereby withdraw from the conflict and return to the rightful subject matter.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »

Don't think for a minute that I don't know that you tried whining to everyone else on this board to get me banned in the past...
Resorting to your old ways, eh Umaril?  Just because I don't like your whining and belly aching in a thread dedicated to American pride, doesn't compel me to resort to insulting you and lying about you.  You are a liar.  Fade.  
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 11:06:43 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My Fourth of July Musings . . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.