Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:36:25 PM
714462 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Censors « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Censors  (Read 2494 times)
Offthewall
« on: May 06, 2002, 08:07:59 AM »

I need to do research on Censorship and I need something currently being censored. YOu Guys know where I can find an article about that?
Nathan
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2002, 10:06:46 AM »

Boy, that's a big question...

Are you talking about the strict interpretation of "censorship," i.e, governmental editing?  If so, you're going to find very little in the US of A.  If you're using the broader definition of it (i.e., "any parts taken out of anything"), then you'll find lots of it.  Problem is, that's not "censorship" so much as "editing."

In either case, I can't see that going to google.com and typing in the word "censorship" is really all that challenging, is it?

Nathan
Offthewall
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2002, 10:39:54 AM »

I meant do you guys know of any movies/video games that are getting alot of crap for being too violent or gruesome or something?
Drezzy
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2002, 03:33:08 PM »

Games:
GTA 3, Max Payne

Movies:
Troma movies get s**t for being really violent...

Bands:
Gwar...DUH!

Other:
Wrestling gets censored a lot...even in America. f**k the PTC.
lester1/2jr
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2002, 05:15:32 PM »

Todd Solondz (happiness, welcome to the dollhouse) new one has a huge red box over where the action is taking place.  He opted for that rather than editing it apparently.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2002, 07:11:50 PM »

I've heard about a French film called Baise Moi (distributed in English as Rape Me) that's been taking a lot of flack lately. Don't really know the details, but I think there might be hardcore scenes in it that have caused authorities to intervene at film festivals. Near as I can tell, the plot is basically Thelma & Louise to the extreme.

Also, its days of censorship have pretty much passed, but David Lynch had a hell of a time getting Mulholland Drive released. It was originally filmed as a TV pilot in 1999, but ABC deemed it too violent, especially after Columbine. It sat in the can for a year or two-- no other networks would touch it either-- until Studio Canal gave Lynch the dough to film a conclusion and release it.
yaddo42
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2002, 05:14:49 AM »

You might want to look for some information on the 1990s remake of \"Lolita\". That film had a very difficult time getting distribution in the US.

Are you only interested in censorship in the US? There\'s bound to be information out there relating to film censorship in China, Iran, and India. The New Wave of Iranian films have to work around very strict rules of what can be shown, in addition to avoiding anything deemed critical of the government or Islam. I\'m not sure if this is still true, but even though Bollywood films can be quite violent, explicit sex and nudity are (or were) very taboo.

The US Supreme Court recently overturned a law that was part of the sticking point for \"Lolita\". You might want to look up some information relating to the court decision and analysis of its effect.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2002, 01:33:00 PM »

You might also want to look into the bizarre ineptness of the MPAA ratings board.  It's not official censorship, but a film that is rated NC-17 is going to be played in very few theaters.  And with companies like Blockbuster refusing to carry NC-17 titles, producers and directors are forced to make cuts and changes to their movie to recoup their audience base.  So it's not censorship, it just works out that way.

So for a group with so much power, shouldn't the MPAA ratings board be somewhat responsible and be held accountable for their decisions?  Neither seems to be the case.  Type "criticisms against the MPAA" into a search engine and you should be awarded with a plethora (What is a plethora?) of information.
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2002, 01:53:12 PM »

Type "criticisms against the MPAA" into a search engine and you should be awarded with a plethora (What is a plethora?) of information.

Type "plethora" into a search engine and...  :)
lester1/2jr
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2002, 02:39:22 PM »

Censorship is a bigger issue in places without much church and state separation or like in China.  That Indian lesbian movie that was like pg13, people were smashing theatres down over it.
BlackAngel
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2002, 04:41:32 AM »

I've seen that movie right here in New York.  It was in a small movie theater, though (it won't be in any big multiplex, trust me).  I read about Baise Moi in a small local newspaper.  They said it was an indepenent movie but with a XXX twist.
john
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2002, 01:53:03 AM »

>I've heard about a French film called Baise Moi (distributed in English as Rape
>Me) that's been taking a lot of flack lately. Don't really know the details, but I think
>there might be hardcore scenes in it that have caused authorities to intervene at

Yup, it has hardcore scenes. I've never seen the film itself, but just a week or so ago, someone posted clips of all the nude/sex scenes to alt.binaries.multimedia.nude.celebrities.

>The US Supreme Court recently overturned a law that was part of the sticking
>point for \"Lolita\". You might want to look up some information relating to the
>court decision and analysis of its effect.

More details please?
Vermin Boy
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2002, 06:49:24 AM »

I think the law was that it was illegal to show representations of minors having sex, even if they were played by adults. They repealed it when it was pointed out that this would make "Romeo & Juliet" illegal (as well as Lolita and American Beauty).
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Censors « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.