Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:35:56 PM
714412 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Vindicator (1986) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Vindicator (1986)  (Read 3699 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 10, 2014, 12:06:21 AM »

Carl has problems.  His boss is a jerk.  His otherwise sweet synthesizer setup constantly picks up stray signals.  His wife has a new-age friend he can't stand.  If that weren't enough, he gets caught in an explosion at work, which burns off most of his skin and kills him.  Then, on top of that, his evil co-workers resurrect him as a super-strong, nigh-invulnerable cyborg with the uncontrollable urge to KILL anything that touches him.  Of course, that means that he's going to escape the lab, kill a few innocent people, and get chased by a hit squad.  Just when poor Carl thinks it can't get any worse, his a***ole boss turns himself into a cyborg, too, and Carl has to fight him to the death.  Man, it sucks to be Carl.

As you might have noticed, The Vindicator bears more than a passing resemblance to RoboCop.  According to the IMDB, The Vindicator came out in February of 1986.  RoboCop was released in July of 1987.  I'm not sure if RoboCop was in a sufficiently advanced stage of production for The Vindicator to rip it off so thoroughly, or if it was actually the other way around.  It could be that Ed Neumeier saw The Vindicator while he was messing around with his script for a short film about a huge robot that shoots up a corporate meeting and said, "Ah-ha!"  There's a scene in The Vindicator where Carl smashes through a wall to grab a bad guy before tossing him out a window that's almost shot-for-shot identical to the scene where Murphy does the same to the terrorist in the mayor's office.  There's also a scene where Robo-Carl removes his helmet to show a woman his real face that is shot almost the same way as Murphy's unmasking.  There's no way the Canucks behind The Vindicator could have had that much insight into RoboCop unless Paul Verhoeven was mailing them copies of the dailies, or something.  Incidentally, the CEO of the evil corporation turning himself into a cyborg is a detail that made it into Frank Miller's earliest draft of the RoboCop 2 script.

I'd kind of like to believe that Ed Neumeier and Paul Verhoeven sat down to watch The Vindicator (and maybe The Toxic Avenger, too) before getting to work on RoboCop, because the thought of such a trashy little flick inspiring one of the best movies of all time warms my little heart.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:33:01 AM »

good movie. I've seen it twice but have never seen Robocop  Buggedout
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:05:10 AM »

I saw this on Fox Movie Channel (now known as FXM) a few years ago.  It was pretty odd how many parallels there were to Robocop.

I posted a review of it to IMDb back then, I think I said something like "it looks like a rough draft of Robocop that was made by sixth graders"  TeddyR

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Javakoala
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 09:12:27 PM »

And this is another one of those movies that hasn't had a legal DVD release in the US. It's a shame because I rather liked it.
claws
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 03:44:22 AM »

And this is another one of those movies that hasn't had a legal DVD release in the US. It's a shame because I rather liked it.

20th Century Fox released a nice anamorphic widescreen DVD in Germany last year

So odd they didn't release it in the U.S.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Vindicator (1986) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.