Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:22:38 AM
714518 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Remake of Big Trouble In Little China. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Remake of Big Trouble In Little China.  (Read 8957 times)
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 08:54:25 PM »

Would I like to see The Rock star in an offbeat action comedy? Absolutely.

Should that offbeat action comedy be a remake of BTiLC? Most definitely NOT.
You nailed it.

I like The Rock, I think BTiLC main character role is where he shines most. "Strong man in a strange situation he cannot really understand fully," but what the heck.

Why a remake, make a new movie. Just state as objective: a kungfu comedy like in the golden age of cinema, the '80, with The Rock coming in and saving the day.

Of course your movie will share similarities with other, but where is the problem...
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 09:01:41 PM »

Why a remake, make a new movie. Just state as objective: a kungfu comedy like in the golden age of cinema, the '80, with The Rock coming in and saving the day.

Of course your movie will share similarities with other, but where is the problem...

You raise an excellent point.

Why not just make a new movie that pays homage to not only BTiLC but any other films in the genre that one seeks to honor?  Why the need to attempt "remake?"

There are a 1000 ways Johnson could make a killer film out of this kind of idea, but as a remake, his project will be stained by the "remake" label always and forever.  Even if it is good on its own merits, there are some that will never give it a proper, objective chance. 

I may well be in that group.  (I've not seen the remakes of ANY of Carpenter's movies).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 11:40:47 PM »

It could be good but it'll never match the original.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:43:05 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 11:59:11 PM »

I love the original, like a bag of candy.  It's a favorite though I've not seen it in years and do not own any copy.  I don't think it's good for your teeth either.   TeddyR

Man, a lot of Carpenter's films have been remade or slated for remakes.

My question is "Why do people think they need to be 'updated'?"  I mean, they have followings for a REASON.
I was going to ask... why ???  Question

I guess part of the blame lies on the misconception that a movie's visuals make the movie...that those 80's looks are passe and that's what needs to be updated.  But Carpenter in the 80's made films that transcend the visuals.
He did?  I mean... He did!! 

Carpenter was a tremendous film maker back in the day who was, as cliched as it sounds, ahead of his time.  I just view all these rehashings as perhaps an art lover would view a child's stick-figure drawing of The Mona Lisa.  They might be cute, but they will NEVER even approach the level of the base work.

Wink Question Smile

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Flangepart

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 07:44:51 AM »

Here's what they should do.
Cast Russel as an older, yet only a little less clueless hero, and the film opens with him running his own trucking company...and he has the hide of the monster he found on his rig at the end of the original, mounted on the wall.

"Where did you get that?"
"Killed it myself."
"Gun or knife?"
"Truck. Dumb bastich got in front of me in the I-35."
"You ran him over while still driving on the freeway?"
"It's all in the reflexes, kid."

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 10:39:35 AM »

Very fun idea.

After the movie I was imaging something different, Russel character actually using the monster as antitheft system. Of course the monster needs food, so sometime he says: I am kinda worried, I have some valuables in the truck...

So food arrives to the monster naturally.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 01:38:32 PM »

Why not just make a new movie that pays homage to not only BTiLC but any other films in the genre that one seeks to honor?  Why the need to attempt "remake?"

$$$$$$$$$

I'm sure there are plenty of unproduced scripts based on original ideas running around Hollywood. However, studios can only take a gamble on so many of these a year. Remakes and sequels make money because the built-in audience goes to see them, that's all there is to it.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Skull
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 06:07:28 AM »

I wonder if they are going to remake the story and then used the original script... From what I understand, Big Trouble in Little China was supposed to be a western and John Carpenter couldn't get the money for the budget.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »

Just heard that Disney are now going to remake Sister Act, although my thought on that one was "Meh". I did used to wonder why instead of taking good movies and remaking them as bad ones, why didn't anyone try taking a bad movie and improving on it. Then the remake of My Bloody Valentine came out and I've never asked that question again.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 02:41:32 PM »

Just heard that Disney are now going to remake Sister Act, although my thought on that one was "Meh". I did used to wonder why instead of taking good movies and remaking them as bad ones, why didn't anyone try taking a bad movie and improving on it. Then the remake of My Bloody Valentine came out and I've never asked that question again.

You and director John Huston. He was always dissatisfied with his "Roots of Heaven" (1958,) and he always wanted to remake it, but . . .?! As far as I know, he never did. I have seen it, on TV, and I quite enjoyed it.

As for "Sister Act," it spawned a sequel "Sister Act 2 : Back in the Habit," an year later. It has also spawned a stage version. I saw the sequel, but I have never seen the stage version, even though it came to the city in which I live. Thus . . .?! Why not a remake, especially as the Walt Disney Company is remaking many of its animated classics, as live action films, or a combination of animation and live action.
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 08:44:47 PM »

[...]try taking a bad movie and improving on it. Then the remake of My Bloody Valentine came out and I've never asked that question again.
I did not see the original or the remake. Can you give me some context?
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2015, 06:32:27 AM »

Its a stalk and slash, and if I can remember everything correctly with the premise the murders were triggered by a cave in at a mine on Valentines Day. The one survivor took to killing anyone from the town who celebrated Valentines Day. I can't remember if this was in the orginal but in the remake ****SPOILER ALERT**** its actually the 'hero' who is doing the killing via a multiple personality type disorder.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 05:18:27 AM »

I'd like to see John Carpenter involved. But then I'd like to see him back at the height of his directoral powers.

Last week it was announced that Dwayne Johnson is set to star in a remake of Big Trouble In Little China, and now the action hero has revealed that there are plans afoot to get original director John Carpenter involved in some capacity…

"I loved reading the reactions from the fans, that they were so polarised," says Johnson in an interview with Entertainment Weekly. "I’m the same way. My response is: know that I come to the project with nothing but love and respect for the original, which is why we want to bring on John Carpenter."

"It felt like if we surrounded ourselves with the right group of people, the right writers who loved the movie too and wanted to honour it, bring on John Carpenter in some capacity … If we did that, then we have a shot at hopefully making something good. Let’s see what feels good, what we can come up with and then go from there. As we write it, if the whole thing starts to stink up, then we thank everybody for their efforts and accept this just couldn’t make it."

Carpenter recently commented that he was not involved with the remake, although it might be the case that an official approach has still to be made. Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz are currently hard at work on a script, with a release date yet to be announced.

etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 05:52:15 AM »

[...] but as a remake, his project will be stained by the "remake" label always and forever.  Even if it is good on its own merits, there are some that will never give it a proper, objective chance. 

It could be good but it'll never match the original.

Ehehe...
Archivist

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 09:53:49 PM »

It's not Big Trouble without Kurt Russell!

This is one of the few movies of my childhood that I do not have on DVD or blu-ray.  Will have to remedy that very soon!

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Remake of Big Trouble In Little China. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.