Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:21:48 AM
714509 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Who should be the next president? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 118
Author Topic: Who should be the next president?  (Read 410135 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1680 on: November 01, 2016, 03:38:19 PM »

I've always hated McDonald's for giving that lady money for spilling hot coffee on herself in a drive-thru. Because the coffee didn't say HOT. There are way-way too many people trying abuse the system with stupid lawsuits.

You hate McDonald's for losing a lawsuit?  They didn't settle. What should they have done?
kakihara
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1681 on: November 06, 2016, 04:54:18 PM »

They should have given her another coffee, and told her "carefull ma'am, coffee is hot. Maybe you shouldnt put this between your legs while wearing booty shorts."

exterminate all rational thought.....
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1682 on: November 06, 2016, 09:08:40 PM »

I'm all for tort reform but the McDonald's coffee case is a bad example. It's a case lots of people study on day 1 of tort class.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

McDonalds had hundreds of claims for burns from their coffee and they always paid the claimants off. It was just a small cost of doing business to them. The plaintiff (who had third degree burns and had to get skin grafts) offered to settle for little more than the cost of her medical bills and McDonalds refused, rolling the dice that they could get the case before a jury and get a precedent that allowed them not to pay off any coffee injuries in the future. The strategy backfired and they got burned (pun intended).

McDonalds since lowered the temperature of their coffee from 185 degrees to 158 degrees, no one gets scalded anymore, and no one complains that the coffee isn't hot enough.

It's ironic that this case became the go-to example of frivolous lawsuits because it actually had merit. There are plenty of better examples to pick from.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1683 on: November 06, 2016, 09:36:08 PM »

I utterly detest Trump, but this sounds like a frivolous suit brought on by someone who's filed several of them, fishing for an out-of-court settlement.

I posted this news a while back with a link to the court filing. I agree: I hate Trump, but this lawsuit does not appear to have a lot of credibility, which is why it's not getting a lot of coverage. The fact that so many people haven't heard of this undermines Trump's "MSM" conspiracy theory, though.

That's a good point.  Ironically, I have felt that the MSM have been trying desperately to prove their lack of favoritism toward Hillary...  Twirling  I think Trump has gotten a free pass more than once. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Skull
« Reply #1684 on: November 06, 2016, 10:22:24 PM »

I'm all for tort reform but the McDonald's coffee case is a bad example. It's a case lots of people study on day 1 of tort class.

McDonalds had hundreds of claims for burns from their coffee and they always paid the claimants off. It was just a small cost of doing business to them. The plaintiff (who had third degree burns and had to get skin grafts) offered to settle for little more than the cost of her medical bills and McDonalds refused, rolling the dice that they could get the case before a jury and get a precedent that allowed them not to pay off any coffee injuries in the future. The strategy backfired and they got burned (pun intended).

McDonalds since lowered the temperature of their coffee from 185 degrees to 158 degrees, no one gets scalded anymore, and no one complains that the coffee isn't hot enough.

It's ironic that this case became the go-to example of frivolous lawsuits because it actually had merit. There are plenty of better examples to pick from.

It's a stupid lawsuit that opened the door for more stupid lawsuits.

Anyway, I was wondering how long it would take before the thread comes back alive.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1685 on: November 06, 2016, 10:57:24 PM »

It's a stupid lawsuit that opened the door for more stupid lawsuits.

Anyway, I was wondering how long it would take before the thread comes back alive.

I used to think that way, before I read the actual case. But if you had thousands of dollars in medical bills from 3rd degree burns from McDonalds coffee, and they knew this happened regularly and regularly paid medical bills for over 500 similar cases before yours, but decided NOT to pay you so they could use you as a test case, you'd be fine with that? You'd just say it was your own fault and go into debt to pay your medical bills? There were frivolous lawsuits before this case and frivolous lawsuits after it, but this actually was NOT a frivolous case. which is why it's so annoying that it became the poster child for frivolous lawsuits.

Here's a much better example: "In 1996, Florida physical therapist Paul Shimkonis sued his local nudie bar claiming whiplash from a lap dancer's large breasts. Shimkonis felt he suffered physical harm and mental anguish from the breasts, which he claimed felt like 'cement blocks' hitting him. Shimkonis sought justice in the amount of $15,000, which was denied."

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1686 on: November 07, 2016, 12:07:35 AM »

Isn't it the Stella Awards that recognize the most frivolous lawsuits filed every year?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1687 on: November 07, 2016, 08:43:41 AM »

Isn't it the Stella Awards that recognize the most frivolous lawsuits filed every year?

Yep, but even though the guy who founded the awards thinks the case was decided wrongly, he has a page devoted to judging the facts for yourself: http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html.

Even if you think McDonalds should have won that one it was not an unreasonable case to adjudicate, unlike, say, the 2006 winner: "Allen Ray Heckard. Even though Heckard is 3 inches shorter, 25 pounds lighter, and 8 years older than former basketball star Michael Jordan, the Portland, Oregon, man says he looks a lot like Jordan, and is often confused for him -- and thus he deserves $52 million 'for defamation and permanent injury'-- plus $364 million in 'punitive damage for emotional pain and suffering', plus the SAME amount from Nike co-founder Phil Knight, for a grand total of $832 million. He dropped the suit after Nike's lawyers chatted with him, where they presumably explained how they'd counter-sue if he pressed on."

Skull
« Reply #1688 on: November 07, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »

Yep, but even though the guy who founded the awards thinks the case was decided wrongly, he has a page devoted to judging the facts for yourself: http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html.

Even if you think McDonalds should have won that one it was not an unreasonable case to adjudicate, unlike, say, the 2006 winner: "Allen Ray Heckard. Even though Heckard is 3 inches shorter, 25 pounds lighter, and 8 years older than former basketball star Michael Jordan, the Portland, Oregon, man says he looks a lot like Jordan, and is often confused for him -- and thus he deserves $52 million 'for defamation and permanent injury'-- plus $364 million in 'punitive damage for emotional pain and suffering', plus the SAME amount from Nike co-founder Phil Knight, for a grand total of $832 million. He dropped the suit after Nike's lawyers chatted with him, where they presumably explained how they'd counter-sue if he pressed on."

I really believe people should face jail time for stupid case filings... To me this is almost as worse as cranking calling 911. If Allen Ray Heckard knew he could go to jail for this lawsuit, it would never be filed.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1689 on: November 07, 2016, 11:06:44 AM »

Talking backpedaling talk talk talking words werdz wurst virst first word word up.   Question

Skull
« Reply #1690 on: November 07, 2016, 01:34:44 PM »

« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 01:38:10 PM by Skull » Logged
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1691 on: November 07, 2016, 03:40:01 PM »

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #1692 on: November 07, 2016, 03:57:08 PM »

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
AoTFan

« Reply #1693 on: November 07, 2016, 04:49:49 PM »

Heard about that on a radio talk show.  Unless they're a different pair of kids (which possible) those two are bro and sis.  I heard they got a LOT of candy.  (One guy said he dumped the whole bowl into their bags.) 

Ahhhh... I miss trick or treating.   Bluesad

Yeah, I know, I can just go BUY whatever and how much candy I want anytime from the store, but what's the fun in that?
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1694 on: November 08, 2016, 12:00:34 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 118
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Who should be the next president? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.