Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:18:22 PM
714446 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Do they make TV shows in other countries? : ) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OT: Do they make TV shows in other countries? : )  (Read 1689 times)
John Morgan
« on: May 14, 2002, 09:20:30 AM »

I watched TV Guides 50 Greatest Shows of All Time last night.  EVERY SHOW WAS AMERICAN IN ORIGIN.  What about Monty Python, Faulty Towers, Dr. Who, The Avengers and other shows that paved the way for many of the American shows we have today?  TV Guide left them out.  They should have said "50 Greatest American Shows."

Also, with all these lists out, 50 greates shows, 100 greatest movies, 100 greatest comedies, they all seem to leave out the foreign films.  Why?  At one time, Godzilla movies were the top of the special effects with giant monsters.  Some British films have better stories and acting than any of the drivel put out by Hollywood today.  

Do Americans make these lists and pat themselves on the back saying, "Look how good we are at making entertainment"
Will
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2002, 09:56:12 AM »

I didn't see the shows, but in the case of those two movie lists you mentioned, they were the AFI's (American Film Institute's) 100 Greatest AMERICAN films and 100 Greatest AMERICAN comedies.  Those both specified that they were focusing on American films.

As for the shows, you have a point.  I wonder what the top 50 were.  I don't think I could come up with a list of 25 GOOD shows, much less great shows, even if I used all the television in the world....
Flangepart
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2002, 10:38:41 AM »

I.....do not watch primetime T.V. Call me pickey, but it just don't do anything for me. And very little cable, at that. The only shows i'm keeping up with currently is adult swim. I call TNT the "All Jaws network, all Jaws, all the time." Its good to be pickey....it leaves time for a life.
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2002, 10:50:05 AM »

"Farscape" and Baseball are pretty much all I watch
John Morgan
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2002, 10:53:01 AM »

Will,

Yeah your right, now I do remeber them saying American Film.  My bad.

Thanks
J.R.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2002, 12:59:31 PM »

But the AFI lists still messed up- they were very traditional, "lame white guy" lists. Little or no independent films, and they were all the prerequisite "classics" that we are told are great and not allowed to disagree with. I find lists of best this-and-that are very stupid wastes of time. That's why the entire VH1 channel must be abolished. 100 Greatest One-Hit Wonders Of All Time. Who gives a flying squirrel turd?
Biscuitrocious
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2002, 01:53:06 PM »

Here's another valid point: If you go outside America (as I am now) and watch the TV shows (as I do now,) you'll find some seriously entertaining crap on TV. Sure, I have no damn idea what they're saying on Honduran TV game shows, or on the news, even, but three or four beers and it no longer matters.

Beyond Central America is the wealth of Japanese game shows... Holy crap, these are so incredibly insane I couldn't think of a better show.

"Okay, Hiroshi! You want grand prize? You must climb mountain of glue while attached to a bungee cord. You fall? YOU SUFFOCATE!!! And we pull on bungee chord and throw things at you! HAHAHA!!!"

(That's based on something I've actually watched, too.)
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2002, 02:29:16 PM »

I've heard rumours of Japanese gameshows that end up sounding like adult versions of something by Nickelodeon
J.R.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2002, 04:27:50 PM »

I love watching Univision, a Spanish channel I get on my local cable provider. The early morning shows are the best. There's one that's hosted by a guy that, hand to God, looks exactly like Jiminy Glick, and he sits in a hottub with voluptuous women, like a weird Regis. Then there's the children's shows, with said voluptuous women teaching kids to count. Pretty much every show has voluptuous women, actually.  I also watch BBC America, if only to laugh at all the weird ways those people makethe language I speak indeciferable.
Private Joker
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2002, 11:43:22 PM »

THEY FORGOT FLYING CIRCUS????????????!!!!!!!!!!  THE BASTARDS!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Do they make TV shows in other countries? : ) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.