Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:33:03 AM
714434 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DINOTOPIA: Did anyone watch it? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DINOTOPIA: Did anyone watch it?  (Read 1536 times)
John Morgan
« on: May 15, 2002, 04:41:28 PM »

I watched it but felt it had NO point.  I didn't even care for any of the characters.  (I judge a movie on if I can identify with any of the characters or not.  If the movie ends and I feel like I've know the characters for a long time, it was good.  If I don't care about the characters, it was bad.)  Well, I didn't care if the guys got stepped on or not.  Then there was the ugly "love interest." Her forehead took up a third of her face.  (OK the Blond Skyback Rider was cute but that was one out of HOW MANY?) There was no plot, just a bunch of events linked together with special effects leading the way.  Then the goof - ups:

A Cessna will NOT remain intact upon crashing into the water like they showed in the movie.

Guys went to a "training" class, learned to integrate into the culture, fly a "Skyback," raise a dinosaur and did not look like they aged a day.  But dad who was under the sea looked like an old hermit.  (His hair grew, but the son's hair didn't.  So they had "perms" too on Dinotopia)

Sunstones were part of the meteor that hit the earth and whipped out the dinosaurs.  OK SO WHY DID THE DINOSAURS MOVE NEAR THE THING AND LIVE BY IT?

I could go on and on at the goofs pulled by the show.  Needless to say, it was the standard cliché's of fantasy film all strung together.
systemcr4sh
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2002, 05:02:43 PM »

My Mom seemed to enjoy it :)
I was in the room while she was watching it and thought it was really dumb. Sounded like every other kids movie ever also. I think its been done before.

Plus if she likes it that should tell me something :)

-Dan
john
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2002, 07:38:48 PM »

Don't forget the bad editting; The Skybacks class starts a climb in the middle of the day, it cuts to another scene clearly taking place at night and back to the class still climbing in broad daylight. The day/night/day thing happened during another scene too.

Problems I had;

Why are all the dinosaurs intelligent and civilized except for the carnivores?

Why do the sunstones keep the carnivores away, but not affect any of the others?

How were the pteranadons that would attack people any different than the ones the Skybacks rode?

Why put several people on the back of a huge, slow-moving dino that would attract the attention of carnivores when you could put each one on the back of a faster moving, smaller dino?

How do you make an entire language out of a single footprint that can only face in 4 directions?
systemcr4sh
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2002, 08:37:09 PM »

"How do you make an entire language out of a single footprint that can only face in 4 directions?"

Maybe you could rotate it like, 32 directions, with lots of little angles in there. lol

-Dan
Newt
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2002, 08:53:30 PM »

I should have known it would be bad when my four-year-old son saw the plane and announced "They're gonna crash."  

The two main characters were annoying jerks.  The smug superiority of the Dinotopians made me want to throw something at the tv.  Submit.  Fit in.  Arrgh!  No wonder they had the Borg Queen in charge...resistance is futile.

Illogic abounded:  Hero arrives on wings to deliver life-saving device to top of tower.  Does he land on tower?  NO!  Drops device to ground, where heroine must carry it on foot up a spiral staircase to top of tower...

People under attack from the air automatically congregate in the open town square, with their baby carriages, and run in circles...

Guy with severe fear of heights climbs a cliff trail FACE OUTWARDS
(??)

Mercifully, the rest is fading from my mind...it was bad.
john
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2002, 06:57:54 PM »

>Illogic abounded: Hero arrives on wings to deliver life-saving device to top of
>tower. Does he land on tower? NO! Drops device to ground, where heroine must
>carry it on foot up a spiral staircase to top of tower...

I got the impression that he dropped it by accident, my mother says she thought it was intentional.
Newt
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2002, 03:37:06 PM »

You're somewhat right:  my 12-yr-old tells me the hero THREW the sunstone at a pteranodon - and then the stone fell.  Right.   I'd use the most valuable object at hand to toss at a critter, too....
Chris K.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2002, 03:52:10 PM »

I saw a few bits and pieces of DINOTOPIA and I felt it just wasn't all that great. The hype it recieved just made the expectations high, but when looking at the finished results the expectations became low. It would have been better if their was NO HYPE when it began it's TV screening and then it would recieve it's rave later on (if their was anything to rave about DINOTOPIA).

Still, this was made for TV. Just be glad you did not pay $7.50 to see it theatrically. Now their would have been hell to pay if that happened!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  DINOTOPIA: Did anyone watch it? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.