Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:26:44 AM
714501 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  GOD « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: GOD  (Read 23848 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2016, 03:40:58 PM »

I cannot imagine how sad it must be to have nothing higher than human nature to believe in.
Seriously - I remember Dennis Prager (an observant Jew) having this conversation with an atheist Jew on the radio once:
Caller:  "I lost faith in God because of the Holocaust."
Prager: "Did you gain faith in humanity because of the Holocaust?"

Let's be honest:  if we are all there is, the world is screwed.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2016, 03:44:46 PM »

I think religion in general is for the weak to be honest. Atheists unite!

I understand the idea behind this sentiment, but it doesn't really work that way. Throughout history, religious people have been persecuted (yes, often by other religious people) and martyred for their beliefs without caving to the persecutors. In the early days of Christianity,  most of the original apostles were martyred in horrible ways, and yet not one of them recanted his assertion that Jesus was dead and rose again, conquering death in the process. If they were weak, I would love to see a strong person. The same can be said of members of other religions as well. Of course their are weak people that seek solace in religion, just as there are weak people who cannot muster the strength to admit God's existence.  To generalize to that degree does no justice to anyone. If this comes across harshly, and I see how it might, it is not the way I intended. I just wanted to add my two cents worth.

For the record, yes I know that God exists.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »

Good points, Derf. I think it is interesting that the apostles went so quickly from frightened self-preserving sorts who fled when Jesus was arrested, denied in at least one case they even knew who Jesus was, to men willing to die for their cause. I find that telling. Clearly something changed their minds and granted them the strength of newfound convictions. Their profound rebirth of faith is one the many points of evidence that Jesus came back from the dead, exactly as claimed in the historical records.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Jim H

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2016, 12:58:31 AM »

I cannot imagine how sad it must be to have nothing higher than human nature to believe in.

That comes across quite condescending, deliberate or not. 

Why?  The human world is better off in most ways than at any other point in around 5000 years of human history. 

Quote from: ER
Their profound rebirth of faith is one the many points of evidence that Jesus came back from the dead, exactly as claimed in the historical records.

Jesus also had a supposed younger brother who thousands died fighting for, earnestly believing this.  He arose from nothing and amassed a great many followers.  There's a heck of a lot of historical record to back this up too.  Yet I doubt you'd consider this man a legitimate expansion on Christianity.  From a a non-believer's perspective, I find the evidence for the younger brother's existence and fate of his followers much more compelling than that of Jesus and his apostles, and I don't doubt the legitimacy of the beliefs of the man or most of his worshipers; needless to say though, I'm unlikely to convert to either version. 
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2016, 08:01:05 AM »

That comes across quite condescending, deliberate or not. 

Why?  The human world is better off in most ways than at any other point in around 5000 years of human history. 

Quote from: ER
Their profound rebirth of faith is one the many points of evidence that Jesus came back from the dead, exactly as claimed in the historical records.

Jesus also had a supposed younger brother who thousands died fighting for, earnestly believing this.  He arose from nothing and amassed a great many followers.  There's a heck of a lot of historical record to back this up too.  Yet I doubt you'd consider this man a legitimate expansion on Christianity.  From a a non-believer's perspective, I find the evidence for the younger brother's existence and fate of his followers much more compelling than that of Jesus and his apostles, and I don't doubt the legitimacy of the beliefs of the man or most of his worshipers; needless to say though, I'm unlikely to convert to either version. 

Citation on the brother, please, Jim?

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2016, 08:49:40 AM »

"Jesus also had a supposed younger brother who thousands died fighting for, earnestly believing this.  He arose from nothing and amassed a great many followers.  There's a heck of a lot of historical record to back this up too.  Yet I doubt you'd consider this man a legitimate expansion on Christianity.  From a a non-believer's perspective, I find the evidence for the younger brother's existence and fate of his followers much more compelling than that of Jesus and his apostles, and I don't doubt the legitimacy of the beliefs of the man or most of his worshipers; needless to say though, I'm unlikely to convert to either version." 

I've spent most of my life researching the origins of Christianity and never found a shred of evidence for this, Jesus' brother James was the leader of the Jerusalem Church and was killed during the first phase of the Jewish revolt in 64 AD.  He authored the Biblical book of James and was known as a man of prayer and faith - but he also said that Jesus was the Son of God and never tried to start a rival movement, much less a military one.  According to one account, he was murdered by the Pharisees for denouncing military revolt against Rome.  But he was never worshipped or had 'thousands die fighting for' him that I ever heard of.  Got a source for that?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2016, 11:43:42 AM »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Xiuquan

His movement led to the second most lethal war in human history.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2016, 01:55:23 PM »

Living 1800 years later, there is no way this man was a brother of Jesus any more than David Korsh was His "reincarnation."  Just another revolutionary cashing in on the name.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2016, 01:59:20 PM »

To quote a fellow who shares my birthday-

"All I say is that I think it is damned unlikely that anything like a central cosmic will, a spirit world, or an eternal survival of personality exist. They are the most preposterous and unjustified of all the guesses which can be made about the universe, and I am not enough of a hairsplitter to pretend that I don't regard them as arrant and negligible moonshine. In theory, I am an agnostic, but pending the appearance of radical evidence I must be classed, practically and provisionally, as an atheist."

-H.P.Lovecraft

He uses some nice long flowing sentences-befitting a writer-to say: "It's bulls**t!"

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jim H

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »

Living 1800 years later, there is no way this man was a brother of Jesus any more than David Korsh was His "reincarnation."  Just another revolutionary cashing in on the name.

Why not? The Father is still alive, right? If he can have one son, in whatever incarnation, he can have another. I am aware of the gospel issues with that, but it's easy to hand wave it away just like other spinoff religions do - and as the church itself did with books they didn't accept as canon.

My point isn't that I actually believe this story, just that if converting non-believers to die for you is evidence, Hong certainly has the same thing going for him - as does Koresh. And Mohammed. Brigham Young for that matter. There's also much better historical evidence of the fates of these followers than the Apostles. Li Hongzhi for that matter - he's still alive, had a sudden strong rebirth of practitioners, and people are currently dying for the religous practices he partly created.  

Alright, I'm being a bit belligerent, but if people are going to argue for a specific faith in specific ways on an open thread like this, I feel it's invited.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2016, 06:42:35 PM »

Why not? The Father is still alive, right? If he can have one son, in whatever incarnation, he can have another. I am aware of the gospel issues with that, but it's easy to hand wave it away just like other spinoff religions do - and as the church itself did with books they didn't accept as canon.

My point isn't that I actually believe this story, just that if converting non-believers to die for you is evidence, Hong certainly has the same thing going for him - as does Koresh. And Mohammed. Brigham Young for that matter. There's also much better historical evidence of the fates of these followers than the Apostles. Li Hongzhi for that matter - he's still alive, had a sudden strong rebirth of practitioners, and people are currently dying for the religous practices he partly created.  

Alright, I'm being a bit belligerent, but if people are going to argue for a specific faith in specific ways on an open thread like this, I feel it's invited.
Actually what you're saying is even steven. If I am expected to believe all this fantastic stuff-Christ rising from the grave-a giant invisible enity who KNOWS ALL-(but really does nothing)-its not so far fetched.
I aint against religion-it's a superstition invented by man to help us cope with things we can't figure out.
I'm against trying to force it onto folks-by bloodshed! It's more dividing the people on your God's green earth than uniting it.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2016, 07:16:38 PM »

I would garner to say I'm anti-Religion only in the aspect that it's led to more senseless violence in the names of beings we can't even see.  The Crusades, countless wars, etc.  ISIS/Muslims, whomever, and the dozens of videos where they're beheading people.

There's no Atheist who's beheaded someone, on camera, while shouting "All praise to NOTHING." 

That's another issue entirely, I suppose.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2016, 07:36:19 PM »

If anything-my starting posts about religion and politics has done the thing I wanted to-it gave some life to this dying board.  Wink
Cuz I really love this board-and it was getting mundane.

Oh yeah-my new avatar is Bela as Christ giving the world an eyeroll.  Lookingup
Cuz if ya cant deal with this big ball of mud without a sense of humor- Lookingup
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:40:37 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2016, 07:37:36 PM »

Ten Commandments--George Carlin.
Small | Large

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2016, 07:52:32 PM »

Ok-I aint an atheist-Carlin is my Jesus. Cheers
Yea-though I walk through the valley of morons,I will not be afraid-because-well-I'm dealing with morons.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  GOD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.