Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:40:20 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Breaker Morant (1980) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Breaker Morant (1980)  (Read 2822 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: March 14, 2017, 03:03:16 AM »

I lectured yesterday and screened part of this Australian classic film - a South African story of the Anglo Boer War and one of the most notorious miscarriages of justice ever. A good film: the gallows humor towards the end is very funny, especially Bryan Brown as Peter Handcock - the rough Aussie soldier whose poetry extends to the following:

There once was a man from Australia
Who painted his arse like a dahlia
The color was fine
Likewise the design
But the aroma: Ooh, that was a failure!  BounceGiggle

L-R: Lewis Fitzgerald, Bryan Brown, Edward Woodward OBE and Jack Thompson.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 06:37:52 AM »

I saw it in the theatre.  A good film indeed.  One of a scant handful that affected me beyond expectation.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 08:58:58 AM »

I saw it in the theatre.  A good film indeed.  One of a scant handful that affected me beyond expectation.

Agreed: none of the students I screened it for yesterday had seen it before.

Morant's line of "Shoot straight, you bastards, don't make a mess of it!" caused them to laugh and then when Morant and Handcock were shot dead, there was a audible collective gasp.

javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:03:58 PM »

Agreed: none of the students I screened it for yesterday had seen it before.

Morant's line of "Shoot straight, you bastards, don't make a mess of it!" caused them to laugh and then when Morant and Handcock were shot dead, there was a audible collective gasp.

Yeah, I remember watching this. During the whole execution scene, I kept thinking, "They really aren't going to shoot them, are they?" Hell, I started crying before the guns went off.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 01:27:25 AM »

The other odd thing is that both Morant and Handcock are buried in the same grave in a cemetery in Pretoria: that isn't odd, but they're buried in the public section of the cemetery and not in the military section.  Question

I worked on a documentary about two years ago in which the families of Morant and Handcock are attempting to clear their names.

Archivist

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 09:21:15 PM »

Yep, classic Australian movie, and often shown in schools.  I seem to recall studying the play for English some decades ago.  Perhaps the most poignant part of the end was not the spoken line just before being shot, but that they held hands as they walked to the firing squad.

I'll add this one to the list of films I will watch again.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 09:07:20 AM »

Perhaps the most poignant part of the end was not the spoken line just before being shot, but that they held hands as they walked to the firing squad.

Agreed: in the South African film history context, this film is known as the greatest South African story not made here: I believe that Bruce Beresford and the producer Matt Carroll came here on a location scout and couldn't find local backers.  Question

Neville

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 03:05:08 PM »

Watched this one a few years ago, it must rank among Bruce Beresford's better efforts. My favourite bit was when the main cast is forced to dsefend their prison against the boers and one of them says at the end: "Well, that broke the monotony" or something similar.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Breaker Morant (1980) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.