Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:18:47 AM
714401 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What do you think of Balthazar? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What do you think of Balthazar?  (Read 3780 times)
Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 25, 2018, 08:24:39 PM »

The name I mean.  I really like it, but a lot of people look at me sideways when I mention it.  I normally wouldn’t care what anyone thinks, but one of those people is my husband and I feel like he should have at least a little say in naming his son.  He admittedly hasn’t come up with a better name though. 

I know, why not give the kid a normal name like Bill or George?  Well, I come from a pretty big family, my mother was one of nine children, and my go-to excuse is that all the traditional male names are already taken around here, some several times over.  Also, my daughter’s name is Lotus, which I think is a lovely, unique, whimsical, feminine name.  She loves it and gets a lot of compliments on it.  When I was 9, I was begging my mother to change my name to MoonStarHeartDiamond, so I must have done something right here.  I can’t just name her brother Ronald (sorry RC)…  I’d feel like I failed the kid.

I’ve never really thought about how difficult it would be to name a boy.   It’s been so common to name the first son after the father, and if there are more, they just get named after other male members of the family and nothing new gets added to the mix.  Girls get all the cute and creative names.

My hope is to settle on a name that’s masculine, and a bit wizardly and metal at the same time.  I think Balthazar fits that and I thought I could nickname him “Bat” and that would be super cute.

So, I am looking for opinions and suggestions, if you have any.  I’m not a fan of last names for first names, and before anyone says it, I have heard of some people with the last name Balthazar, but if you ask me they have a first name for a last name.  I’m also not crazy about androgynous or female sounding male names (Francis, Terry, Percy, etc.)  Single syllable names sound a bit too dull for me – we’ve kicked around Wolf, Brick and Oak and I they just don’t feel right.  We’ve semi-seriously considered Amadeus, but it’s just a bit silly and grand sounding, not to mention, everyone knows it from the song and he’d never hear the end of it.  I also have a weird problem with association, as in if I know someone with that name, even a celebrity, and I don’t like that person or am too close to that person, it’s out.  I don’t know much about Balthazar Getty, so I’m going to try to keep it that way for now.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 08:45:50 PM »

I like Balthzar a lot but it would also require a lifetime of heavy lifting. Might make better middle name? Mebbe?

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 08:55:06 PM »

Celtic names are best avoided too since people over here are not good at spelling them. If I had to do it over again I may not give my son the old Irish name we did.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 10:23:48 PM »

I have always been fond of Roman names.  Marcus, Julius, Antony (or Antonius), Cornelius, Belisarius, etc.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 10:48:49 PM »

I have always been fond of Roman names.  Marcus, Julius, Antony (or Antonius), Cornelius, Belisarius, etc.

Lewus?

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 10:58:58 PM »

Celtic names are best avoided too since people over here are not good at spelling them. If I had to do it over again I may not give my son the old Irish name we did.
Took me 50 years to appreciate my own name, 2 words 3 syllables and it's on my birth certificate with no middle name.  Old Irish.  And the name of a well known old actor, though,  he is not Irish.  

Balthazar?  I like it, but one has to consider names perhaps practically.  I mean, what's liable to be his or her nickname?  Baltee?  Tazar?   Sometimes names are burdens, not badges.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 11:01:14 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 10:59:43 PM »

Lewus?

If I were to Romanize my name, it would be Lucius, I guess!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 01:07:49 AM »

Call your son Trevorus  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »

I like it as a middle name. I would worry about kids teasing him if it was his first name.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 09:20:28 AM »

I agree with the good Rev. I like the name, but I'd have something else just in case he doesn't like it. Then again our boy is going to have a choice of four to pick from.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Paquita

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 08:26:58 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback!  To answer your query AHD, I’d call him “Bat” as a nickname, but I imagine he’d eventually get called “Balz” someday later in life.  Not sure if that’s a bad thing or a good thing for a boy.  I’m not worried about him getting teased, if it’s not going to be for his name, it will be something else… kids are jerks.  I’ve gotten pretty good at striking fear into the hearts of children’s foes so I am up for the challenge.

Indy – I like the sound of Roman names too!  The “us” at the end really does ring well with our last name.  We’ve mulled some of them over, but nothing really has really stuck yet.

We’re still searching for an alternative.  My husband just doesn’t have a strong enough opinion about any other name yet and I think this one is growing on him.  I told him he has until I get the birth certificate in my hand to think of something else.

dean

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 02:49:12 AM »

As someone whose daughter is called Ripley I fully support slightly off centre names (Lotus is great). If you really like it go for it: just give a normal middle name (can always go by that one if need be rather than the other way around!)

Could go with the flora theme as alternatives. Some to chew on below:

Hawthorne (maybe Hawk for short)
Florian
Forester
Rowan

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 02:57:47 AM »

As someone whose daughter is called Ripley

Nice  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 04:14:52 PM »

I had a girlfriend about 25 years ago who would have loved that name. She wanted us to get married in a castle and wanted me to wear a suit of armor. I ended up getting married to a different woman in Las Vegas and I wore a short-sleeved shirt. Fate is a funny thing. But I digress.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 04:15:53 PM »

Call your son Trevorus  Wink

Trevorus Underpantus

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  What do you think of Balthazar? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.