Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:46:07 PM
714493 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies for intelligent people. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movies for intelligent people.  (Read 6387 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 15, 2018, 10:12:59 PM »

Got any intelligence?  Hate having it insulted?  Here's some movies written by intelligent people for intelligent people.

The Andromeda strain.  One glaring error in an otherwise intelligent movie.  Sf political medical thriller all in one. No animals we're harmed in it.

Quatermass and the pit.  Aka 5 million years to earth. A very intelligent sf horror movie.

Dean Koontz's phantoms.  Another intelligent sf horror movie made better by hearing Peter O'Toole loudly drop an F bomb.

Shin Godzilla.  As intelligent and plausible as a kaiju movie can ever be,  which is more than you might think.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 01:33:43 AM »

Dean Koontz's phantoms.  Another intelligent sf horror movie made better by hearing Peter O'Toole loudly drop an F bomb.

TeddyR

To quote Jason Mewes: "Affleck! You da bomb in Phantoms, yo!"  TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 06:09:07 AM »

EUROPA REPORT was a brilliant exercise in true science fiction.  Loved it!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 06:17:09 AM »

The Thirteenth Warrior: The challange issued on this one was to take the story of Beowulf and make it interesting.

I, Robot: I'd went into this one expecting a standard Will Smith movie, but found it to be a bit deeper and cleverer than your usual summer tentpole movie. From Alex Proyas, who had done some impressive movies (The Crow and Dark City) before he decided to disappear up his own butthole with Gods Of Egypt.

Serenity: Just how far would a corrupt government go to cover up its mistakes? Some of the things in this actually come quite close to reality.

Cube: Forget the sequels and just enjoy this tale of the military industrial complex gone mad, although it is the group interactions that really sold this one to me.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 06:32:14 AM »

EUROPA REPORT was a brilliant exercise in true science fiction.  Loved it!

AGREED!!!

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 07:45:11 AM »

.MULHOLLAND DRIVE (2001)- You really have to be paying attention to figure out WTF is exactly going on in this one. But the pay out is BIG. Great movie.
.BRAIN DEAD (1990) Bill Pullman is Dr.Rex Martin- or is he Jack Halsey? Another WTF movie that needs your full attention. And it's funny and scary too!
.FIVE EASY PIECES (1970) If your looking for action-don't look here. A character study in values starring Jack Nicholson and Chopin.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:45:53 AM »

DOWNFALL - This movie features perhaps the most true-to-life and brilliant depiction of Adolf Hitler ever attempted.  Not action-packed, but a grimly accurate portrayal of the ruin of the Thousand Year Reich, with the Russian bear at its doorstep.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 04:49:50 PM »

FIVE EASY PIECES (1970) If your looking for action-don't look here. A character study in values starring Jack Nicholson and Chopin.

And an interesting double feature with THE KING OF MARVIN GARDENS

I'll add these to the list:

* THE TIN DRUM (1979)

* INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

* A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (1971)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 05:37:14 PM »

And of course 2001 a space Odyssey.

I'll also throw in FailSafe.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 05:48:31 PM »

The Game
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 07:33:02 PM »

The Thirteenth Warrior: The challange issued on this one was to take the story of Beowulf and make it interesting.

One of my favorite movies, based on one of my favorite books, made from one my favorite tales.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 07:36:05 PM »

One of my favorite movies, based on one of my favorite books, made from one my favorite tales.

It's one me and Kristi like to sit and watch together, although I do think it would have been better without it's lead actor.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 08:51:34 PM »

the HAUNTING-Robert Wise showed no ghosts-nothing actually. But scary as hell. Unlike the remake-which was stupid as f**k.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
316zombie
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 08:57:39 PM »

i prefer not to judge a person's intelligence purely on the movies they like or dislike. this forum is a great example of extremely intelligent people who love crappy bad movies, right?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2018, 09:14:04 PM »

i prefer not to judge a person's intelligence purely on the movies they like or dislike. this forum is a great example of extremely intelligent people who love crappy bad movies, right?

This is true. the cult of bad films was not begun by film critics or the common man. It was started by film geeks who saw not only the 'camp'  (I hate that word) value,but also saw the good IN the bad and the ugly.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies for intelligent people. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.