Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:40:03 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Villains in movies who maybe... weren't. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Villains in movies who maybe... weren't.  (Read 4689 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 29, 2018, 01:09:56 AM »

OK, can you name some movie vilains who maybe weren't really the bad guys?

I'll open up with one Dr. Zaeus, from "planet of the apes ". Now he did some stuff I do tend to frown upon, like lobotomizing people, concealing the truth, framing innocent people like Cornelius and zira, plus a few other things.

But was he really a bad guy? He did know the truth about humanity and the world's last and repressed it. He knew human history and feared the return of human power because he knew what humans had done to the world long ago. He had a granddaughter, he had a family he presumably loved. He feared for their safety if humanity ever rose again . Given his world was blown to cinders by a human weapon detonated by a human hand I'd have to say his fears were pretty reasonable. So was he a villain?

How about khan in star trek into dumbness? He was created by humanity to be a conquerer, condemned by humanity to death for being what they made him to be, fled with his people, was captured, his people, Hus family threatened if he did not cccoperate with ADM. Marcus. He did and Marcus planned to murder him and his people anyway. What he did afterwards was to save his people.  Icd say the real villain in that movie was Marcus. Khan kept his world to firm, depsote being betrayed by Marcus, until kirk betrayed him after khan saved kirk's life.

Any other movie bad guys who'se villainy is questionable?

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
dean

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 04:39:59 AM »

The best villains are those with motivations you can understand even if you don't condone.

#thanoswasright?

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 05:03:37 AM »

How about khan in star trek into dumbness?

TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 08:10:36 AM »

I've always felt that Darth Vader / Annakin Skywalker was never really a villain: just someone who went on a wrong journey for a while but redeemed himself by saving his son. I always liked him, even as a kid and no, I wasn't scared of him, quite the opposite.  Smile

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:53:12 AM »

The Frankenstein Monster, of course.
The Wolf Man- actually, most werewolves.
Talos, from Jason and the Argonauts. He was just the island cop. Doing his job.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 05:54:40 PM »

I've always felt that Darth Vader / Annakin Skywalker was never really a villain: just someone who went on a wrong journey for a while but redeemed himself by saving his son. I always liked him, even as a kid and no, I wasn't scared of him, quite the opposite.  Smile

No, vader did not redeem himself just because he saved his own son, that doesn't cut it after murdering a roomfull of children. And murdering that guy at the beginning of ANH, and torturig god knows how many people, we saw two.

If the force let vader off that easily it's pretty lame.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 06:07:19 PM »

DRACULA in the 1990's Francis Ford Coppola film.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 08:25:12 PM »

Pretty much any movie where the antagonist is just an animal that's doing what is natural to them.  So examples like the Redesaurus from Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, various other kaiju, the crocodile from Lake Placid

Its what's their nature is.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 09:02:05 PM »

This isn't a movie villain so much but more of a TV villain - that being Dr. Toby Russel in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode Ethics.  Yes she was unethical doctor who took shortcuts right through living flesh.  But Worf would never have survived if not for her and the surgical procedure she had devised.  I think Picard was on the right track - Worf was not a human and even though he spent all that time among humans he was still an alien with his own culture and no amount of time among humans could bridge all of those cultural differences.   I think Dr. Crusher and Riker were in the wrong here to try to force Worf  to act according to their values.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 09:50:30 PM »

Pretty much any movie where the antagonist is just an animal that's doing what is natural to them.  So examples like the Redesaurus from Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, various other kaiju, the crocodile from Lake Placid

Its what's their nature is.

I always thought that as well.  I wasn't angry at the shark in JAWS- I was scared of him- but not angry. It's his f**king ocean. You swim in his backyard, your food.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 10:46:20 PM »

Of humans gp on safari to hunt animals because they can, are they bad guys or is the Predator not a bad guy?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:37:14 AM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 10:50:01 PM »

The best villains are those with motivations you can understand even if you don't condone.

#thanoswasright?
Personally I preferred it to when Thanos wanted to date Death and killing people over being an angry farmer and killing people.

yeah no.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 11:30:11 PM »

Of humans gp on safari to hunt animals befaisenthey can, are they bad guys or is the Predator not a bad guy?

As far as this-"befaisenthey" is- I'm not sure exactly, but yeah- all them Clark Gable Jungle movies and Predator movies are about the same! Drink
 Wink
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:32:18 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 05:38:45 AM »

TV villians are fair here, so for a TV villain.....Q on star trek. Was he a villain or just a pompous ass?

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 05:51:48 AM »

TV villians are fair here, so for a TV villain.....Q on star trek. Was he a villain or just a pompous ass?

John DeLancie was once quoted as saying that Q considered Picard and his crew to be family.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Villains in movies who maybe... weren't. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.