Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:10:49 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Roseanne reboot cancelled after racist twitter rant « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Roseanne reboot cancelled after racist twitter rant  (Read 7271 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 10:21:15 AM »

I actually had an interaction with her except I didn't. I was in a discussion on twitter with other people about something involving Israel. She hopped in, admonished me, and then blocked me and continued the screed. I couldn't read any of it because she had blocked me and I only found out much later that it had happened at all.

And that is why she was fired. Because the advertisers dumped her.

well no they didn't have time to pull their ads from the show it was cancelled first.

The point is viewers are quite obviously the lifes blood of a show and she had them. We don't watch tv shows because the people who make them are people we perceive to not be racist, we watch them because we like them.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 11:11:36 AM »

I have stopped watching shows though when one of the stars has done something I've not liked before, for example a talk show with a presenter who was known for very racist views. Regardless of wither I'd have liked the show or not I never watched it because I didn't want in any way to contribute to money going in his pocket. Could have been the funniest, most informative show in the history of the world and I still wouldn't have watched it.

I can't say I've ever boycotted an advertiser because they supported a show or not, but then I tend not to pay attention to adverts anyway and wouldn't be so much aware of who was or wasn't supporting it. I have decided not to buy books or movies either written by or starring rapists and child molesters equally because (and I don't know if it actually would have given them any extra money, but I decided not to take the chance) even when its been something I've enjoyed before I knew what they were doing in real life. Thats my own choice though and I don't expect others to take the same stand as me.

I can understand why a network would act even before any advertisers had pulled their support (and who knows, perhaps there were phone calls or emails saying "Hey if you keep this person on TV, we will be pulling our money out") as they'd get a pretty bad press and no doubt lose revenue. By acting quickly they are simply engaging in damage limitation.

If enough viewers disagree and want to see more Rosanne, I'd imagine unless the show is produced in-house then any other station or online streaming service has a chance to step in, pick up the show and continue it. If Lester is right I'd imagine this is will happen, if not, well it will disappear into TV history.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:13:41 AM by Dark Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 10:35:25 AM »

well no they didn't have time to pull their ads from the show it was cancelled first.

The point is viewers are quite obviously the lifes blood of a show and she had them. We don't watch tv shows because the people who make them are people we perceive to not be racist, we watch them because we like them.

In any event I think it would be hard to have continue for the people on the show.  Wanda left.  The girl who played the granddaughter had decided to quit only to call in and find out the show was cancelled.  The other cast members called her out on this and you probably would have seen some of them plotting their own exits before too long.  With the reruns of the old shows getting dropped that would put a dent in the residual income of the cast from the previous show.

Based on what I saw it wasn't just a knee jerk reaction on the part of ABC, but was a straw that broke the camel's back.  If it was an out of the blue statement from Roseanne and she had never made a public racist statement in her life maybe it could've been chalked up to something.  ABC might have stuck by her despite the backlash.  But she's been doing this for years and I think there were other incidents that made ABC decide one more and she's gone.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 10:59:41 AM »

besides of maybe Jerry Seinfeld ,virtually all comics have a reputation for being "outrageous"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 12:46:27 PM »

besides of maybe Jerry Seinfeld ,virtually all comics have a reputation for being "outrageous"

"Outrageous"  doesn't have to include "racist" .

And don't get me started about Seinfeld.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2018, 06:29:10 PM »

the point is this: comics by nature zero in on taboo stuff because thats whats funny so basically we can either

a. get used to be offended once in a while or
b. have unfunny comedy.

and let me add: comparing black people to apes is as low as it gets. Nazis do that. and calling women the c -word (samantha bee) is on the same level. these are our entertainers though

you know who never offended anybody? Bill Cosby! I rest my case
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2018, 06:28:52 AM »

the point is this: comics by nature zero in on taboo stuff because thats whats funny so basically we can either

a. get used to be offended once in a while or
b. have unfunny comedy.

and let me add: comparing black people to apes is as low as it gets. Nazis do that. and calling women the c -word (samantha bee) is on the same level. these are our entertainers though

you know who never offended anybody? Bill Cosby! I rest my case

People are using he c word to justify going after Samantha b. The same people had no problem withnthat term being used against Hillary Clinton by ted Nugent and e makers of some pro trump t shirts.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
316zombie
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »

ABC isn't a racist network. and they were right to be proactive. lester, i don't think you know what you're talking about when it comes to media advertising. most of the time if an advertiser pulls their support from a show, they pull support from the whole network. THAT is reality.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 06:40:21 PM »

the point is it was a popular show. I would have preferred if they let it go on and if viewers no longer wanted to see it to cancel it.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Roseanne reboot cancelled after racist twitter rant « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.