Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:12:21 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Guess what famous film critic hates THE BEYOND? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Guess what famous film critic hates THE BEYOND?  (Read 21141 times)
Chris K.
« on: February 19, 2001, 05:23:12 PM »

Here is some interesting trivia that the fans of THE BEYOND should know. First off, I would like you to guess what famous film critic hates THE BEYOND? Here's a hint: he writes reviews for the Chicago Sun-Times. Good luck.
Matt
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2001, 05:34:32 PM »

Roger Ebert? Big deal, Fulci never made any big films intended for huge box office success in the US, so why would he care what Ebert thinks? Besides, Ebert wrote (or co-wrote) the script for "Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls" - so I think he needs to remember that every once in a while to keep himself in check.

Ebert thought "Set It Off" was a great film, so go figure.
Chris K.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2001, 06:29:13 PM »

Correct, Matt. I myself said "Big deal" when I read his review too. Just a little trivia for those who are interested. I agree Fulci's films were not intended for U.S. box office success, but his films are way better than the crap that is churned out today. But what I would like to talk about film critics.

I myself am a film critic. I live in Bolingbrook, Illinois and I do film reviews for Bolingbrook Community Television and I am 17 years old. I am not a "professional" and I do admit that. But, I am good at film criticism and I appreciate the unappreciated (THE BEYOND is one). I like what I do on community television and I feel I am good at it. I am not famous and I do not intend to be famous at all because I believe fame will die out quicker before you will recieve it. I am a good guy and I do admit that I am a hard ass when it comes to reviewing a film and then calling it terrible. I wish I was easier and films that are terrible, but I am honest about it and I do not want to lie to the audience.

But I believe that the film critics of today are trapped in the world of big budget crap. Basically with Roger Ebert and his review of THE BEYOND, it is kind of obvious that Ebert did not like the film because it was low budget, it had an unknown cast and director, it delivered the goods, and it was not American. In other words: If it is not American and if it is low budget, it's no good. Now when Ebert reviews a big budget film with bad material, he prases the film until he suffers from a cholestrol heartattack (pardon my humor on that). And it is not only Roger Ebert that does this, but Lenord Maltin as well (and I really, really, really HATE Maltin). Maltin puts down a classic, but prases a big budget crap-a-thon.

As for the "If it's not American, it sucks" comment, I read some critics reviews and they believe it is garbage. It's almost like judging a book by it's cover. I believe the foreign film department is better than the American film. The foreign film can make a film that's like "art". But America tries to do an "art" film and does not succed but critics prase the film (an example of a bad American art film would be SNOW FALLING ON CEADERS).

I am not badmouthing America, it's just that their is very little effort in an American film nowadays. Back then, their was effort in an American film.

But if Roger Ebert riddicules the plot and acting in THE BEYOND, then why does he not do the same in THE MATRIX? Just a thought.

Questions or comments? I would really like to know your thoughts on this subject.
KjDog n Suds
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2001, 07:59:09 PM »

Fool, SET IT OFF kicked ass.
David
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2001, 11:59:56 PM »

"Basically with Roger Ebert and his review of THE BEYOND, it is kind of obvious that Ebert did not like the film because it was low budget, it had an unknown cast and director, it delivered the goods, and it was not American."

Wrong. I read Ebert's column and do not necessarily agree with his opinion 100% of the time (for god's sake, who agrees with ANYONE 100% of the time?). But I feel I must correct you on this point. Ebert does NOT like movies based on this criteria; he reviews them and many other obscure indie flicks in his column. In fact, 95% of the time the man HATES blockbuster movies. He hated the Grinch and pretty much every teen scream flick released last year, plus has lent recent scathing reviews to Keanu Reeves' and Chris Rock's latest cinema ventures.

Ebert does have a failing in not reviewing a lot of the lesser known B-flicks, but that's not to say he doesn't appreciate the genre. For example, he loves Evil Dead 2 (then again, who doesn't?), Last House on the Left, and others.

Ebert is a commerical critic. That's what he gets paid for. The people that are interested in "The Beyond" aren't going to check out Ebert's column. It would be like buying Percadin from a drugstore when there's a blind crack dealer in the alley next door.

(Don't do drugs, kids.)
Razorteeth2001
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2001, 10:51:14 AM »

It is a shame, too many people nowadays are used to the teenybopper horror junk, and fx filled movies that make you wanna fall to sleep.  Classics like Motel Hell, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Beyond, and Re-Animator.  None of these films had the highest of budgets, but look at how popular they became and all to this day still have a following and are enjoyed time and time again by people who know what good quality movies are
Abby
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2001, 04:28:18 PM »

If the film sported the title, "The Beyond The Valley of the Dolls," I bet his opinion would be a mite different ...
Chris K.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2001, 05:57:01 PM »

I can agree with Ebert on some parts. I hated THE GRINCH, I dispise Keanu Reeves terrible acting, and I think the SCREAM and I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER are the worst things ever to enter the film corporation.

But Ebert likes EVIL DEAD 2, but not THE BEYOND. Even if THE BEYOND is not up to his standards, the film does show that it tops an American horror film.
Stupid Jacob
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2001, 08:39:39 PM »

I agree. Evil Dead 2 is what? 20 years old? It's still got a huge cult following. You think Scream or any of those s**tty teen horror flicks will be remered that long? Hell, I'll be surprised if the last 10 years.
Nathan
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2001, 11:36:21 AM »

What did you expect?  Ebert absolutely hated the original Night of the Living Dead; his judgment is forever suspect.

Nathan
Chadzilla
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2001, 01:01:43 PM »

I don't take Roger Ebert, or any mainstream (and genre for that matter) critic that seriously, I mean it's only his opinion not The Gospel or anything.

Ebert has trashed many a movie only to recant his review later (i.e. A Clockwork Orange), but his negative "review" of Night of the Living Dead reportedly was a verbal thrashing in the parents that dropped their children off at the theater without checking to find out if the movie was suitable entertainment for them (which he felt it wasn't, ironically the movie can be shown on most television stations just about uncut these days!).  Ebert is also genre biased, he just plain doesn't like most contemporary horror movies (he does like Godzilla though and was irked that Mayor Ebert in Godzilla didn't get stomped) regardless of the country of origin.  His tastes have been fairly consistent in that he prefers edgy independent movies and foreign "art" films.

The again he put The Cell on his ten best list, a decision that gives me a headache when I think about it.
Chris K.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2001, 05:21:54 PM »

As much as I don't take Ebert too seriously, you would have to admit that sometimes he goes way off. Like his hatred for the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD which inspired many other films that either delt with, or did not delt with, zombies and flesh eating ghouls.

But since Ebert likes "art" films, he should watch DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING (1972). But then again, he just might badmouth Lucio Fulci again just to keep the ball rolling for those who do like Fulci's films.

Basically, it's opinion versus opinion and sometimes Ebert's opinions are a bit "harsh". But then again, when I saw DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR? I said "I wish DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR? was a floor instead of a film so that way I can wipe my feet on it." Now how's that for "harsh"?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Guess what famous film critic hates THE BEYOND? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.