Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:16:30 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Your Higher Education. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your Higher Education.  (Read 2641 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: December 30, 2018, 06:41:07 AM »

Did you make it out of high school? Go to collage or a voctaional school?
I never made it out of 12th grade. I almost made it...I quit and hitchhiked to NYC in 1979 when I was 17.
I did take a art class for one year .I won second place in the regional art fest of a pencil and charchol drawing of an aged Gloria Swanson and also 3rd place for a drawing of a hand holding a gun!
I took a class also on how to set up and run a printing press. So I knew how to do that. I don't now. That was over 40 years ago.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 11:15:22 AM »

I graduated HS in May of 1982, and joined  the Navy for four years.  During that time I became a certified Morse Code operator.
After my discharge (no jokes please, LOL!) I went to college.
I got a Bachelor's Degree in 1990 with a combined History/English major, then went straight on in to grad school.
I finished there in 1993 with a Master's Degree in Modern European History.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 11:18:57 AM »

I have undergraduate degrees in European History (with a specialization in Medieval) and Biology, about seventy credit hours of further classroom training at three other universities related to a job, and my Uncle Lark says I am a "Road Scholar" apparently an honorary title more common in Alabama and the rest of the Deep South than up where I'm from, but, hey, I'll take it.

The two biggest lessons I took away from college are that one should never let education get in the way of learning, and libraries can teach you more than classrooms.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 12:43:42 PM »

2 years college doing electrical and electronic engineering at Kilmarnock, 2 more years college with computer, networking, support and administration at Greenock followed by 14 months at the Defence Aeronautical College Cosford.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 05:00:20 AM »

I graduated from high school in 1984, did two more years for the National Senior Certificate in South Africa (1985 - 1986) and then came down to South Africa in 1987 to study here www.tut.ac.za

I graduated in 1993 and studied while working at the archives: not easy but I did it.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:25:39 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 09:56:02 AM »

I graduated from Wagner College in Staten Island, NY (go Seahawks!) in 1992, with a B.A. in English. I had a great time, made some lifelong friends and learned a lot, but when I look back on it all these years later I sometimes wish I'd gone somewhere/done something else.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't a f*** up. I went to my classes and got decent grades (most of the time), but I never really had a clear picture of what I wanted to do when I got out. First I was gonna be a comic book artist, then a journalist, then a Public Relations guy, then I wanted to manage bands or work at a record label, or do something in the music industry, blah blah blah. I was all over the place, depending on what my interests were at any given time. I changed majors a couple of times in my first two years, thinking that I'd "figure it out as I went along."

(buzzer sound) WRONG.

I was the first person in my family to ever go to college. My parents had always given me the impression that a college degree was a Willy Wonka golden ticket, and that companies would be lined up outside the campus gates after I graduated, ready to throw the perfect job at me. Of course, since I was young and dumb, my naive ass bought into that fantasy hook, line, and sinker.

(buzzer sound) WRONG AGAIN.

For some reason, it never occurred to me that there were several million OTHER people getting out of college at the same time as me, with the same degree I had, but they all had a f**king clue of where they were going!

Unsurprisingly, I had no job prospects when I got out of college (I hadn't even landed any interviews!) so I ended up working at a K-Mart for two years after graduation -- which if nothing else, taught me a much needed lesson in humility. (it also gave me 20 extra pounds and a drinking problem, and increased my hatred for humanity in general about 1000 percent, haha.)

I finally got my foot in the door of the newspaper biz in 1994 and a quarter century later, I'm still here. It's certainly not the hippest industry to be in nowadays, but at least it pays the billz. I just hope and pray that I can get a few more years out of it before the internet destroys us entirely.  

This is why I've been telling my kids ever since they were old enough to understand, that they need to HAVE A PLAN, because I didn't.

That speech must be sinking in with my oldest son, who just turned 16 (sophomore in high school). He's not interested in college, but he's good with tools and talks about becoming a mechanic, so we're steering him towards tech/trade schools after high school.

(Whew) Sorry, didn't mean for this to turn into a rant. I guess my point is, college should not have been the place for me to "find myself." Maybe it works that way for some people, but I guess I should've had at least some idea of what I wanted to be when I grew up before I started. I wish somebody had told me that back in the day.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:44:34 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 10:12:08 AM »

I earned a Bachelor's degree in English and Communication in 2008. In May of this year I will have an Associate's degree in Foundations of Teacher Education.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 05:26:24 PM »

I have a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration (accounting concentration). I also studied broadcasting and film at 2 different colleges (needed about 9 more classes to get my degree, but never finished).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 08:23:07 PM »

I have a bachelor's in art history. I got it at a state college back when college was affordable. I like caravaggio and jackson pollock. in other words: I'm more slayer than metallica
AoTFan

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 11:19:49 PM »

I've got a Bachelor's In Information Technology, which is a fancy dancy catch all term for various computer stuff.  Some colleges specialize their degrees, focusing on tech support, security, or other stuff, but at the time I graduated (2007) it was just a study in general computer related subjects.  Like Freddy, I didn't really have a plan when i started college, I just went for a two year degree that would help me get a job in the craphole pit I was living in.  TBH, I was most interesting at the time in Web Design, but didn't realize the program was only a small part of that, consisting of only one or two classes of basic info.  Had I known, I would have just picked another degree and taken the web design classes on the side. 

When I graduated, all the jobs I saw even related to my degree wanted either years of experience, or familiarity with programs I didn't know (and didn't have hundreds of dollars to buy.)   Tried to get help/advice from my professors but they just told me to go to Placement and do research there.  (Gee, thanks, guys, big help.)   So, I took a minimum wage job at a hotel (which I didn't need a degree for) while attempting to find and apply for jobs related to my degree.  Slowly, one year passed, then two, then three, and my information got more out of date.  Now it's eleven years later and I honestly can't help but think college was just a big damn waste of time and money. 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Your Higher Education. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.