Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:45:21 PM
714424 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things you just don't "get." « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 48
Author Topic: Things you just don't "get."  (Read 157907 times)
Pacman000
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 04:09:16 PM »

I think I met him on another forum:  https://videogamecritic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5084&t=9804&p=102174&hilit=moonmetropolis#p102161

Buggedout  Thumbdown

Now I'm creeped out.  Bluesad
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2019, 04:16:23 PM »

Trolls. I don't understand the appeal of pretending to believe something obnoxious just to watch people's reactions. Best I can come up with is it's an unsophisticated form of the prank, but some of these people's dedication to the "craft" is probably a mild form of mental illness.
I've always thought that Dr Menard and myself were the best [liked] sort of trolls on this site.  Wink
WyreWizard was also a troll and also seemed to be delusional about how he was fooling everyone.

This Goldberg person used to post here? That's creepy.

http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,146221.0.html
I was skeptical at first but after investigating I'm 90% sure it's him.
He was banned so it's not easy to pull up his trolling threads. Here's an example: http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,120700.0.html
Very strange dude. Mentally ill for sure.

I remember when that one came along... momentarily amusing mainly 'cause of MenardMenard is my friend... haven't heard from him in years...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 04:35:06 PM »

You don't strike me as someone who goes in for the fanciful, AHD, but are there any books or films from those sorts of genres you've liked? Just curious.
I loved the first LOTR and HARRY POTTER movies; did not read any of the books.  I tried TOLKIEN and was bored.  Them ROWLING are kind of hairy potty poop.  

I used to read STEPHEN KING and ANNE RICE and liked several of the books, but not all of their books (some are drivel).  I read all of GENE WOLF's Book of the New Sun series and found them wonderful... except the last (Urth of the New Sun... z'okay).  I am fond of mid 20th century SciFi... stories, books and movies.  I highly recommend INFERNO by LARRY NIVEN and JERRY POURNELLE... if faith and fantasy mixed interest you, it's superb.  I enjoy Star Trek, but don't take it seriously.  I haven't seen a good Monster movie in decades... or a good Ghost movie...

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 04:44:56 PM »

You don't strike me as someone who goes in for the fanciful, AHD, but are there any books or films from those sorts of genres you've liked? Just curious.
I loved the first LOTR and HARRY POTTER movies; did not read any of the books.  I tried TOLKIEN and was bored.  Them ROWLING are kind of hairy potty poop.  

I used to read STEPHEN KING and ANNE RICE and liked several of the books, but not all of their books (some are drivel).  I read all of GENE WOLF's Book of the New Sun series and found them wonderful... except the last (Urth of the New Sun... z'okay).  I am fond of mid 20th century SciFi... stories, books and movies.  I highly recommend INFERNO by LARRY NIVEN and JERRY POURNELLE... if faith and fantasy mixed interest you, it's superb.  I enjoy Star Trek, but don't take it seriously.  I haven't seen a good Monster movie in decades... or a good Ghost movie...

If you like mid-twentieth century science fiction, have you ever listened to an early 1950s radio series called X-Minus One? I think it might be the all-time best sci-fi series in any medium, of all time. I grew up listening to it on a local public FM station that ran a lot of golden age radio shows, and now I can hear them anytime on YouTube. I can lose myself in X-Minus One. (In so many ways this really is a good time to be alive, you know?)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 05:02:17 PM »

... (In so many ways this really is a good time to be alive, you know?)
Any time is good to be alive. 

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 06:14:25 PM »

I don't understand how the stock market work.

yeah no.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2019, 10:09:34 PM »

Woody Allen movies, Nascar, comic books load so other things

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2019, 10:58:44 PM »

It's  real simple.

A bunch of rich peolle decided they wanted to be even richer without actually doing more work, so they set of a machine made of smoke and mirrors,  lubricated with snake oil and powered by corruption,  to make themselves more money.

The stock market is a huge scam,  a massive ponzi scheme following the one armed bandit philosophy that let's rich peolle  play a really big,  everlasting game.  If they win money they keep it,  if they lose money it comes out of everyone elses's pockets.

And that's how the stock market works,  honey.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 11:54:12 PM »

Dunno, I'd rather be alive in 2019 America than 1942 Leningrad, or 1346 in western Europe (know why?). Some times are better than others and we are lucky, lucky, lucky. Not one day goes by I don't reflect on that good fortune.

No comment on the recommended radio show, though? I'm shocked you like science fiction at all, since you have the most literal mind I have encountered in a long, long time. Not since I knew an autistic man who could not understand the slightest metaphor or joke or allusion. You're not as extreme as him but a few times when you haven't gotten things it did put me in mind of him. Fun fact: he was OBSESSED with city bus schedules.

Also look up the word 'blessed' in a good commentary on KJB; it might help you understand post-Elizabethan English, which can be tangled and counter-intuitive.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 12:16:26 AM »

In simplest terms, leaving much out, one purchases shares in a company. The price you pay for a share in that company depends on many factors but (again in simplest terms) the lower the price of a share the less confidence the market has in that company, while the more expensive the share is, typically the view is that company will increase (or hold) in price and is a safe investment.

Depending on how the company performs in the marketplace, its value increases or decreases.

Say a drug company releases a brilliant new pill sure to make billions, or a software company puts out an operating system everyone wants, those things will likely make the company's stocks more valuable.

If on the other hand some scandal hits a company or its latest product flops, the value of its shares will usually decrease as well.

With luck and shrewd investing, the shares of the companies in which you've invested rise in value above the cost at which you bought them, increasing your net worth in the process. At some point the holder of a stock may sell her shares and make a profit above what she originally invested in them.

Of course one may also take a loss, it's risky.

There is more to it than that alone, but at its heart, that's the core concept. When more stocks are bought in a day than sold, that is when the market rises; when more shares are sold than bought, the market is said to have declined. If your share decreased, you're worth less than you were the day before, and if it rose, you're worth more, though it can sometimes seem abstract since you're not seeing this money in front of you, it is always very real.

The business of trading is well regulated and laws are in place to prevent most outright fraud, and level the field so that everyone has a chance to enter and take a shot at increasing his or her wealth. Most people do not make fortunes by playing the market but if your investments earn more money than, say, a savings account, you've done well.

In modern times the stock markets have been the cornerstone of the global economy, and no one, no matter who you are, is untouched by the market's rise and fall.

It's fascinating, really.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:23:11 AM by ER » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 01:05:22 AM »

Dunno, I'd rather be alive in 2019 America than 1942 Leningrad, or 1346 in western Europe (know why?). Some times are better than others and we are lucky, lucky, lucky. Not one day goes by I don't reflect on that good fortune.
No comment on the recommended radio show, though? I'm shocked you like science fiction at all, since you have the most literal mind I have encountered in a long, long time. Not since I knew an autistic man who could not understand the slightest metaphor or joke or allusion. You're not as extreme as him but a few times when you haven't gotten things it did put me in mind of him. Fun fact: he was OBSESSED with city bus schedules.
Also look up the word 'blessed' in a good commentary on KJB; it might help you understand post-Elizabethan English, which can be tangled and counter-intuitive.
You're very booshy.  Thanks for the insult / compliment.  It's you who does not understand.  Sure, English NOW can be counter-intuitive, as always, in all history.  Blessed means exactly the same thingS it always has.  What you fail to see is the flexibility always available in English, the mongrel of the Western languages. 

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 01:07:26 AM »

You're very booshy.  Thanks for the insult / compliment.  It's you who does not understand.  Sure, English NOW can be counter-intuitive, as always, in all history.  Blessed means exactly the same thingS it always has.  What you fail to see is the flexibility always available in English, the mongrel of the Western languages. 

Careful calling the Queen's English mongrel. She has an air force.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 01:08:15 AM »

PS: what's 'booshy' mean?

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 01:20:48 AM »

PS: what's 'booshy' mean?
It's my own word.  Figure it out. 

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2019, 07:27:11 AM »

You and RC are the exact opposite of trolls. Just having poorly-maintained underpants does not make one a troll!
I never really felt one way or the other about Menard. Sometimes I agreed with his positions, and sometimes he could get a bit too obnoxious. Didn't think he was a troll, though, I always felt he was being sincere.

TeddyR He and I would always bring a snarky comment to some too serious threads.  Wink

MetropolisForever was a troll. We think this is him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Ryne_Goldberg . Seriously mentally ill, that guy.

Buggedout

I remember MetropolisForever: something weird going on in that dude's head and if that is him, yikes.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 48
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things you just don't "get." « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.