Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:54:37 PM
714481 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things you just don't "get." « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48
Author Topic: Things you just don't "get."  (Read 157950 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #585 on: August 13, 2019, 06:22:54 PM »

How can an 18 year old not be allowed to buy a beer or a cigarette but can be drafted or sentenced to death?

I basically agree (save for the juvenile disparaging of my country's name), and some seventeen years olds too, since service to the nation, which can begin at seventeen, should elevate one to every applicable privilege as a way of saying thank you for stepping up.

Along these lines something I don't get is why you are required to have proof of address and identity to get a library card, driver's license, state ID, insurance, a credit card, a Kroger Plus Card, to adopt an animal at the shelter, to join a gym, donate blood, rent a hotel room, drop food off at a homeless shelter, get treatment at Urgent Care, etc etc etc, but it's said to be unreasonable to request that someone prove residence in order to vote in a national election.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #586 on: August 13, 2019, 06:30:37 PM »

What is with that question on applications, "Why do you want to work here?"
And why you have to come up with something flowery & butt kissing for it?

Look, you want me to sweat my @$$ off moving boxes from one pallet to another for less than the living wage, I can do that!

Jeez!

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #587 on: August 13, 2019, 07:09:30 PM »

What is with that question on applications, "Why do you want to work here?"

Answer- "So I can eat!"

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #588 on: August 13, 2019, 10:30:57 PM »

Donkeys and Elephants. WTF is that all about?  Question
I'm sure there is some stupid historical reason behind all this iconography.
But its just stupid.
At least the Commie and Nazi symbols looked cool!  Twirling
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:33:01 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #589 on: August 13, 2019, 10:48:04 PM »

How can an 18 year old not be allowed to buy a beer or a cigarette but can be drafted or sentenced to death?
Along these lines something I don't get is why you are required to have proof of address and identity to get a library card, driver's license, state ID, insurance, a credit card, a Kroger Plus Card, to adopt an animal at the shelter, to join a gym, donate blood, rent a hotel room, drop food off at a homeless shelter, get treatment at Urgent Care, etc etc etc, but it's said to be unreasonable to request that someone prove residence in order to vote in a national election.

I have to show ID to vote...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #590 on: August 13, 2019, 11:05:56 PM »

I basically agree (save for the juvenile disparaging of my country's name), and some seventeen years olds too, since service to the nation, which can begin at seventeen, should elevate one to every applicable privilege as a way of saying thank you for stepping up.

OK er, to explain this you have to realize that political powers in america have always sought to limit voting. The old south had unpassable literacy tests to keep minorities from voting,  see the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRU5Zj5QelE&t=62s

All sorts of other means have been used to block people from voting if the people in a position of power to keep people who are unlikely to vote for hem from voting. Sometimes people in "those neighborhoods" get notices telling them to be sure to have all their traffic tickets paid, violations settled,  etc,  ormnthey could possibly be arrested at the poling place.

Some people are pretty open and honest about it.   
https://www.politicususa.com/2018/11/15/gop-senator-liberals-mississippi-runoff.html

The bottom line, er, is that political powers want to surpress or nullify votes that go against them,  voter suppression is a popular tactic,  so's gerrymandering. Anything that makes voting harder for people will be used to surpress "unwanted" . voters.

Given the certainty that anything making voting harder will beabused means that we should resist any such efforts period.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #591 on: August 13, 2019, 11:30:17 PM »

I don't think you should have an ID to do anything. I know that sounds real stupid. But it will be fun to watch in my dying days!  Cheers
I wanna watch the world die screaming!
Lucky around here they don't even ID you for booze. Because this is such a small town.
I know all these folks sine 1970.

But when I lived in the Bronx- I wasn't supposed to be able to buy booze.I was very young. These old Jews and Italians didn't give a f**k. I had money. Never got ID'd. I was 17 in 1979. I bought booze all day long.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:46:03 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #592 on: August 13, 2019, 11:33:40 PM »

I don't think you should have an ID to do anything. I know that sounds real stupid. But it will be fun to watch in my dying days!  Cheers

You need your ID to buy booze.  People might not think you're old enough.  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:45:53 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #593 on: August 13, 2019, 11:47:50 PM »

You need your ID to buy booze.  People might not think you're old enough.  

I drank before I ever knew what an ID was.
Folks been drinking loong before ID's.
Throwing people in prison ain't gonna deter a drunk at all.
Trust me-I'm a doctor!  Drink
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:52:58 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #594 on: August 13, 2019, 11:58:18 PM »

We can make booze. We can grow weed.  Thumbup

We don't need "help" or the government to tax or regulate s**t that folks who have been doing it a long time are edged out by  government farms that are gonna take the quality down and the price up.And tax the f**k out of it. I won't buy that s**t. The same pigs who wanted to put you in jail.
I don't know if you folks know about the Rainbow Farm, but it's famous around here.
Crazy s**t.

A local hero around here in SW Michigan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Farm

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:14:20 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #595 on: August 14, 2019, 12:27:43 AM »

Fact of it it is now- you can die for a stranger's ideolgy- but you can't buy yourself a joint-to mellow your mind out that some invisible people just told you -"Go kill these people!"
What's wrong with this picture? Except EVERY f**kING THING.  hot
I was supposed to sign up for the draft in 1980. I never did.
I tried to sign up in 1979. They wanted me to drive a tank- because I was short.
I realized real quick I didn't wan't anybody telling me what to do. So I hit the road.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:50:23 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #596 on: August 14, 2019, 10:53:14 PM »

How can people in 'murca not understand that the tariffs the tangerine abomination is placing on Chinese goods will be paid by them?

The principle of a tariff is extremely simple:

Foreign country sells goods to american market or american marketers buy goods from foreign makers.

The two agree on a price.

The government steps in and tells the buyer that they must pay the government a percentage of what they pay the foreign maker.

So if a foreign maker charges an american seller 10$ for an item, the government steps in and demands the buyer give it a dollar or else.

The foreign maker gets the same amount of money it was getting before.

The government pockets a dollar.

The seller raises the price of the item a dollar to offset the dollar demanded by the government.

The american consumer effectively has a dollar taken out of his pocket and handed to the government by the seller.

Now you may think that  the consumer can simply not buy the item,  hurting the maker finally when the american marketers stop buying so many of them.

One little problem:

Look around american stores. Try to find items not made in china today.

Find any?  What percentages  of the items in a major store today agency made in china?

Is the light beginning to break thru?

How is this not easily  comprehensible?

Tariffs rarely work. If a large market is buying non essential items or items there are other makers of from a small maker that has few options they can work. This is not the situation we are facing. China is a huge maker and can sell its gods to other markets than america .

Also there are few if any other manufacturers of items american consumers can choose from.

Don't get me wrong. I hate china, it's a slave labor state that practices things the Nazis never did. It has created the era of the digital dictatorship,  a state of constant surveillance and instant automatic jusgement that can crimmple someone's life based on personal choices and private matters. I wish america would turn away from china but where would  we to turn to?

I dearly wish america  would return to the days when we manufactured electronics, auto, textiles, etc. Barring an all out revolution I don't see that happening.

I just don't  see how people can't understand this.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 11:09:47 PM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

LilCerberus

« Reply #597 on: August 15, 2019, 03:00:01 PM »

How can people in 'murca not understand that the tariffs the tangerine abomination is placing on Chinese goods will be paid by them?

Foreign country sells goods to american market or american marketers buy goods from foreign makers.

The government steps in and tells the buyer that they must pay the government a percentage of what they pay the foreign maker.

So if a foreign maker charges an american seller 10$ for an item, the government steps in and demands the buyer give it a dollar or else.

The seller raises the price of the item a dollar to offset the dollar demanded by the government.

The american consumer effectively has a dollar taken out of his pocket and handed to the government by the seller.

Now you may think that  the consumer can simply not buy the item,  hurting the maker finally when the american marketers stop buying so many of them.

One little problem:

Find any?  What percentages  of the items in a major store today agency made in china?

How is this not easily  comprehensible?

Tariffs rarely work. If a large market is buying non essential items or items there are other makers of from a small maker that has few options they can work. This is not the situation we are facing. China is a huge maker and can sell its gods to other markets than america .

Also there are few if any other manufacturers of items american consumers can choose from.

Don't get me wrong. I hate china, it's a slave labor state that practices things the Nazis never did. It has created the era of the digital dictatorship,  a state of constant surveillance and instant automatic jusgement that can crimmple someone's life based on personal choices and private matters. I wish america would turn away from china but where would  we to turn to?

I dearly wish america  would return to the days when we manufactured electronics, auto, textiles, etc. Barring an all out revolution I don't see that happening.

Most people "DO" understand this.  It's just that their crap is so cheap, that most of us can't tell the difference anyway.

The reasoning behind these tariffs, is that China is apologetically one of the world leaders in violations of intellectual property & international copyright laws.

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #598 on: August 15, 2019, 03:08:25 PM »

Now you may think that  the consumer can simply not buy the item,  hurting the maker finally when the american marketers stop buying so many of them.

One little problem:

Find any?  What percentages  of the items in a major store today agency made in china?

Most people "DO" understand this.  It's just that their crap is so cheap, that most of us can't tell the difference anyway.

The reasoning behind these tariffs, is that China is apologetically one of the world leaders in violations of intellectual property & international copyright laws.

I'm  not sure alot of people actually get it. Also are Chinese goods really "cheap'?  Add in the costs  of massive unemployment in America ,  millions of workers and their families no longer with income, needing welfare , foodstampS, etc instead of working,  buying,  paying taxes, etc.

When you look at the whole thing Chinese goods may not be so cheap after all.

LilCerberus

« Reply #599 on: August 15, 2019, 03:17:03 PM »

One little problem:

I'm  not sure alot of people actually get it. Also are Chinese goods really "cheap'?  Add in the costs  of massive unemployment in America ,  millions of workers and their families no longer with income, needing welfare , foodstampS, etc instead of working,  buying,  paying taxes, etc.

When you look at the whole thing Chinese goods may not be so cheap after all.

Well, I could go on a tangent about what I've learned since last weeks ICE raids, but I've already done that on my facebook page...

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things you just don't "get." « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.