Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:46:25 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things your Dad usta say. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Things your Dad usta say.  (Read 19236 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2019, 10:34:41 AM »

"My boss got his job by bombing Cambodia into eggshells, so I try not to p**s him off too much."

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2019, 10:36:33 AM »

"Your Uncle Patrick punted a soccer ball into my solar plexus one time when I was wooing your mom and that doubled me over. Later he told me sorry about that, he always did kick higher than he was aiming for."

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2019, 10:37:34 AM »

"Were we poor when you were born? El, if movie tickets were a dime we couldn't have afforded to listen-in from the lobby."

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2019, 10:38:15 AM »

"The only thing your Aunt Jude hates worse than bigotry is bigots."

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2019, 10:52:05 AM »

Motivational Dad-Speech #847, given when I came home early from school very stressed one day circa 1990.

"I think you want an award for moaning about your life. What are you, eleven? Not even a teenager yet. Just wait til it gets hard. My first day on the job I was so nervous I missed the chair I went to sit down in and ended up on the floor, in front of my boss and his boss and six other people. The only thing I could think to say was, 'I been practicing that all week.' Nobody laughed at my joke. Now that was a rough day. Leaving your Bio folder in your locker isn't a rough day. What? Okay, yes throwing up between classes and not having any gum is worse, but what do you want, violins playing you sympathy? I told you that yogurt smoothie smelled funny. Didn't I tell you that? Why'd you want a yogurt smoothie that smelled like kumis some Mongol would drink on the steppes? Honestly, is your brain living in your baby toe these days?"

For the record I thought the smoothie smelled fine, and maybe pep talks like these clear up the mystery of why I left home at seventeen.  Smile

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2019, 11:43:30 AM »

From circa 1990.

Me: Why is it bad to suggest Jewish people tend to have money? Isn't that a compliment?

My Dad: It's a stereotype and usually those are---

Me: True?

Dad:---impolite.

Me: But what if it is sort of true?

Dad: No, all Jews are not rich, in fact in New York I knew a Jewish guy who was so poor he lived in the cab he drove for a living, while waiting for his father to die and leave him his apartment building in Brooklyn.

Me: Well if he was waiting to inherit an apartment building, was he poor or was he pre-rich?

Dad: Will you just stop before B'nai Brith sends us a registered letter?

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2019, 01:39:03 PM »

This is one of my dad's charming "driving to school and sipping his coffee" stories from when I was a teenager. (No bus service in Catholic school.) I've always been afraid to ask if it was true or if he was just messing with my head, as usual.

When I was little, El, our teacher, Sister Agnes, got a stomach virus and missed two weeks of school, so for some reason instead of sending us a replacement nun they brought in a substitute  from the public system, Mrs. McDowell, who was super nice and we all liked her....except she was missing her left hand.

She didn't want us to be freaked out so she told us the story of how she lost it and showed us  how it looked and we all said we were okay with it, but secretly it bugged me and one day I found a paper I was supposed to have turned in the day before, so I went to her desk and said:

"This is late, Mrs. McDowell, can I still hand it in?"

And right when I said the words "hand it in" I felt my eyes jerk down to look where her hand was supposed to be and she saw me looking and all I could think to do was blurt out, "When I said 'hand' I didn't mean your hand, I meant hand in the paper!"

She said, "Yes, I know."

I felt like crawling back to my desk but she laughed about it and told me it was OK, and I really liked her a lot, and when I was in middle school and heard her foster son shot her I thought it was a damn shame.

What? Yeah, he murdered her. Why you looking at me like that? Where'd you think the story was going to go?

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »

From circa 1990.
Me: Why is it bad to suggest Jewish people tend to have money? Isn't that a compliment?
My Dad: It's a stereotype and usually those are---
Me: True?
Dad:---impolite.
Me: But what if it is sort of true?
Dad: No, all Jews are not rich, in fact in New York I knew a Jewish guy who was so poor he lived in the cab he drove for a living, while waiting for his father to die and leave him his apartment building in Brooklyn.
Me: Well if he was waiting to inherit an apartment building, was he poor or was he pre-rich?
Dad: Will you just stop before B'nai Brith sends us a registered letter?

Small | Large

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:19:04 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »

Hot off the press from today:

Me: What do ghosts smell like, I wonder?

My dad: Manure, alcohol, and a feverish desire for attention, whatever that smells like.

Me: And Casper?

Dad: The earth-streaked shroud his grieving parents buried him in, watered with their tears.

Me: That's messed up, man.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2019, 10:12:37 PM »

This is not something my dad said, it's something he wrote to me, by hand, in a long letter he gave me when I turned twenty-one. He wrote me letters on all my major birthdays, and wrote one to my daughter when she turned ten last fall. He doesn't like emailing but he does like to write and has beautiful penmanship.

For better or worse I thought I'd share this:

"Three times in my life I thought I was a dead man, and one of those times in particular I should have been. But each time I came through alive I didn't find myself boosted in self-confidence, I found myself humbled. Each of those occasions changed me permanently and made me better as a result. I don't know why some live and some die, I only know that I felt incredibly humbled that I still had my life, and I think humility is the only fitting way to approach a life that is bigger than any of us."

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2019, 11:35:48 PM »

" You couldn't tell s**t from apple butter!"

" I'll hit you so hard your mother will feel it!"

That's a happy thought, you old scumbag!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 11:38:50 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2019, 11:45:49 PM »

"What's that have to do with the price of tea in Red China?"

My Dad always said the same thing. Only it wasn't tea. It was eggs. What that meant- not a f**king clue. And it wasn't Red China- it was just China.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2019, 10:19:08 AM »

If you put dirt in one hand and desire in the other, which hand will fill up faster?

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2019, 02:11:39 PM »

"Sneezes have killed people, farts have never hurt anybody directly."

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2019, 04:55:39 AM »

My dad used to regularly tell me that the music from the 60's had been so good that it had to come back into fashion.

Then one day I asked why if it was so good how had it went out of fashion in the first place?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things your Dad usta say. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.