Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:32:23 PM
714500 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  All HD versions of The Evil Dead are not the real movie #ReleaseTheTapertCut « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: All HD versions of The Evil Dead are not the real movie #ReleaseTheTapertCut  (Read 3268 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 25, 2020, 02:39:45 PM »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

All HD versions of Sam Raimi's The Evil Dead have been modified in a way that completely ruins the film.
All of the funny little mistakes and goofs like Robert Tapert hiding in the bushes, the moon being an obvious matte painting, and the blood tubes in the Deadites being visible have been removed from the Blu-ray, Netflix, and 4K UHD versions of the film, as well as Bruce Campbell's commentary track. You can only watch the real Evil Dead on DVD or VHS.

Please tweet at: @GroovyBruce, @robtapert, and @tedraimi on Twitter (Sam doesn't have one) with the hashtag #ReleaseTheTapertCut and let them know that this is unacceptable.

The Evil Dead has a special place in film history and if I'm buying a copy of it I would very much like to the the REAL MOVIE and not this poorly edited, revisionist, garbage.
Don't let them George Lucas The Evil Dead. I want my movie cheese and all.

#ReleaseTheTapertCut
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 03:16:00 PM by A.J. Bauer » Logged

pennywise37

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 12:10:42 AM »

i didn't know they did this, i have it on blu-ray but's not a recent release and i have it on dvd as well. i remember when they did this to Buffy the tv show not the film and they made the episodes where they shot Angel's scenes that were shot in day time well prolly some of them anyways and he's all of a sudden in the sun instead of it being at nite. it's funny yes but not funny enough to buy it to see it so i have no  plan on buying that set.
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 12:52:59 PM »

i didn't know they did this, i have it on blu-ray but's not a recent release and i have it on dvd as well. i remember when they did this to Buffy the tv show not the film and they made the episodes where they shot Angel's scenes that were shot in day time well prolly some of them anyways and he's all of a sudden in the sun instead of it being at nite. it's funny yes but not funny enough to buy it to see it so i have no  plan on buying that set.

Yeah, Buffy is actually even worse, as they badly framed things and messed up the color timing - that is, EVERY SINGLE SHOT is wrong to some extent, not just selective parts altered like Evil Dead.

Another one (though more minor, as cinematic presentation just doesn't matter as much on it) is Friends on Bluray - they made it widescreen by opening the matte, and lots of times you can see in reaction shots an actor is still talking without audio at the edge, and sometimes lights and other mistakes are visible.

Another thing you'll rarely hear about are audio changes.  Tons and tons and tons of blurays and DVDs have altered audio.  It's often understandable, a remix to a new format, but I wish they'd always include the original.  Sometimes they change sound effects, which I massively despise.  A notable example is The Terminator, where they redid the gunshots and the new ones are FAR worse than the original.  That's what is on the current Bluray - no option for the original audio at all.
pennywise37

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 06:41:53 PM »

i do have Friends on dvd that is with the extended episodes,  the Evil Dead one i have is a few years old and Anchor  Bay put it out. i have T2 on 4K

and i wonder if the 1st one on 4K is like that as well? my gripes which is you left one out was E.T. removing the guns With Walkie Talkies i get Spielberg regrets putting that in the film but damn it leave it in that's how it should stay.
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 10:32:06 AM »

i do have Friends on dvd that is with the extended episodes,  the Evil Dead one i have is a few years old and Anchor  Bay put it out. i have T2 on 4K

and i wonder if the 1st one on 4K is like that as well? my gripes which is you left one out was E.T. removing the guns With Walkie Talkies i get Spielberg regrets putting that in the film but damn it leave it in that's how it should stay.

Yeah, they also cut a couple of lines in that version of ET.  I'll give Spielberg credit for including both versions on the special edition DVD at least.  I believe the bluray ONLY has the original version now by the way.  He's not George Lucas!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 10:34:24 AM by Jim H » Logged
pennywise37

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 06:58:12 PM »

i didn't realize both versions were on the dvd and as i got mine off the shelf and thinking to myself how it's prolly not worth anything cause it's freaking PAPER dammit. sorry i don't mean to be screaming at ya i just wish the person who designed it also would have gave it a thought of what would happen if you put it oh dunno on a shelf with your other dvd's?   that's why mine looks like crap.  how about the 4K version?
chainsaw midget

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 08:25:15 PM »

i didn't realize both versions were on the dvd and as i got mine off the shelf and thinking to myself how it's prolly not worth anything cause it's freaking PAPER dammit. sorry i don't mean to be screaming at ya i just wish the person who designed it also would have gave it a thought of what would happen if you put it oh dunno on a shelf with your other dvd's?   that's why mine looks like crap.  how about the 4K version?
I bought the Necornomicon special edition of Evil Dead way back when.  The DVD case was latext and foam designed to look like the book of the dead.  It has not held up well.
pennywise37

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 09:05:09 PM »

it's funny they never think of this when they create these things, though i don't much care for the film i bought it cause of Lee i have the wooden Box of "The Wicker Man (1973) that anchor bay i think it was ? put out back in the day i wonder how much it's worth now ? it's pretty rare apparently now
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 06:55:53 PM »

it's funny they never think of this when they create these things, though i don't much care for the film i bought it cause of Lee i have the wooden Box of "The Wicker Man (1973) that anchor bay i think it was ? put out back in the day i wonder how much it's worth now ? it's pretty rare apparently now

You can get a “Like New” one on eBay for around $40 including shipping. Maybe slightly less if you hunt for it. For “Brand New” nothing is popping up currently, but would of course sell for more.
pennywise37

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 07:12:07 PM »

i'm just going by what my brother said a  couple years back so that was just me guessing
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  All HD versions of The Evil Dead are not the real movie #ReleaseTheTapertCut « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.