Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:46:16 PM
714413 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things you sure miss. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Things you sure miss.  (Read 7692 times)
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 12:19:40 AM »

Monthly paper bus passes.  It was good for a FULL month and cost $100.00.  My credit card from work is granting public transporting-using employees exactly this much and the paper ticket we got from the machines at the transit centers worked just perfectly.  Now a stupid new transit system called HOP has turned it on its head.  We no longer do paper passes but have to use a plastic card that charges by the DAY.  5 bucks per day is not going to see you through the month on $100.00.  I have talked to multiple HR employees about how this doesn't work and they don't get it.  The $100.00 is allotted only on the 23rd of each month.  Free remainder-of-the-month passes are given ONLY in a calendar month, so this doesn't work.  I had a hard enough time getting the Hop card to work with the bank; now this is really p**sing me off.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
claws
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 07:40:16 AM »

Snow.

I grew up with a healthy change of seasons, and my favorite was always winter. We had lasting snow from late November till April (white easter wasn't uncommon). We used to go ice skating on frozen lakes in March. We used to build 7 feet tall snowmen in our yard on Christmas eve.

For over a decade we are "lucky" if we get one week of snow (compared to 4 1/2 months) in winter.  Bluesad
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:41:29 PM by claws » Logged
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2019, 08:09:04 AM »

Privacy.

The days when you could look some nosey SOB in he eye and growl "That's none of your damn business! " and not suffer instant, devastating,  crushing consequences automatically bing imposed on your by overwhelming force.

Your corporate overlord decides he wants to see your fb page. You tell him "No, that's for family and close friends only. "

You're fired.

Your overlord asks if yoiu smoke at home . You tell him "What I do at home is none of your business. "

Goodbye job.

An insurance minion asks a shockingly lersoinal question you flastky refuse to answer.

No insurance. And no anything that requires you to have insurance to do even if it's a legal right.

Some damn lawyer decidesynhe has a right  to ask Incredibly offensive personal and intimate questions.  You tell him to commit a physically impossible act. Hello jail! (This happened to someone I know who was a witness to a crime and refused to answer some personal questions about his sexual life the defense lawyer demanded answers to. He refused and was jailed for contempt,  lost his job and was fined into bankruptcy.)

I sure miss privacy.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:52:50 AM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2019, 09:10:09 AM »

I know something most men sure miss, the toilet when they're peeing. Is it that difficult?

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2019, 10:10:20 AM »

I know something most men sure miss, the toilet when they're peeing. Is it that difficult?
Sometimes the stream splits and goes everywhere but inside the toilet.

yeah no.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »

ER, behold the solution to your problem.

https://www.glowbowl.com/

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
chainsaw midget

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2019, 11:28:10 AM »

I miss when stores had comicbok racks in them and there was an arcade machine right as you leave. 

I miss being able to go into a video rental stores and browse for movies, not knowing what you're looking for and having little to go by except for the covers. 

I miss when people didn't expect you to always have your phone on you and be able to pick up at a moment's notice. 

I miss all the neat mascots McDonald's used to have.  You never see them anymore. 

I miss little toys in breakfast cereal. 

I miss just being able to watch TV with rabbit ears.  No netflix, no streaming, none of that. 

I miss when parents could yell at or spank their kids without everyone acting like they'd just committed murder and are the worst parents that ever lived. 

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2019, 12:34:13 PM »

Those '70s UJMs...
Maybe not the coolest looking bikes, but ergonomic & easy to control, and pretty reliable as long as you don't ring 'em out.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2019, 12:46:40 PM »

I miss being able to run. Or climb trees.  Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2019, 01:13:02 PM »

I miss when you could just walk into the country store and find candy and soda pop and comic books and monster magazines (and beer and smokes for the grown-ups.)
They had TRUE WEST and Detective magazines too. And of course Field and Stream and sport magazines.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2019, 07:01:22 PM »

When  you bought a box of Banquet chicken you got 2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 legs, and 2 wings.
Now you just get wtf ever they grab. And NEVER over 5 pieces.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
LilCerberus

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 07:39:41 PM »

Those records that you could cut off the back of cereal boxes or out of magazines & comic books...

I remember when MacDonald's had some pretty fierce competition from Burger Chief & Burger King in the useless toy department.

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2019, 08:48:32 PM »

Those records that you could cut off the back of cereal boxes or out of magazines & comic books...

I remember when MacDonald's had some pretty fierce competition from Burger Chief & Burger King in the useless toy department.

You mean Burger Chef? and Jeff? I don't recall getting a lot of toys from Burger Chef. Or Jeff.
I still have the Frankenstein, Wolf Man , and Creature toys from McDonalds from the 90's.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:54:35 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2019, 09:27:13 PM »

I did think of something. I miss after school cartoons like those I used to come home to. Now it's fake court shows and lurid talk shows and the start of three hours of depressing local news. Duck Tales, Thundercats, Pound Puppies, Muppet Babies, and much later Animaniacs were better viewing fare. Even He-Man and GI Joe were endurable. Progress is not constant.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
LilCerberus

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2019, 10:26:37 PM »

When kids could get part time jobs or paper routes or whatever, & eventually save up enough for a nice ten speed, or a moped, or even a 450cc motorbike....
I always hear these stories about old timers who started out really young in order to pay for college, whereas my generation just barely missed out on that...
In my case, I wasn't allowed, because I was in special class, making me a dropout risk, and they kept telling me I had rich parents (actually not true) who were going to pay for college....

And I miss the days before a bunch of suits on the hill, from both sides of the aisle started saying what Americans were & weren't 'willing to do'...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things you sure miss. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.