Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:08:34 PM
714413 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Rotten Tomatoes « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rotten Tomatoes  (Read 5481 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 13, 2019, 07:19:06 AM »

https://screenrant.com/joker-movie-reviews-rotten-tomatoes-broken/amp/

What do you guys think of Rotten Tomatoes? Apparently, the way they aggregate their scores makes no sense.

Basically reviews are only categorized as "Fresh" or "Rotten".
So hypothetically, if all critics agree a film is just "Ok", that film gets a 100%.

Not sure why people use RT before Metacritic.

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 07:35:37 AM »

I think it's a terrible site that rigs scores for their own benefit. It's most aimed at "professional" critics rather than regular viewers, which I believe IMDb is a much better placer for this.

I avoid that awful place like the plague.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 08:02:02 AM »

I think it's a terrible site that rigs scores for their own benefit.

Why do you believe that?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 08:46:31 AM »

I dunno. I never gave it much attention. After they ate up Flixter and stole all my reviews, I have little respect for them. And my reviews were almost all one liners! Why would they even want that crap?  Question
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:37:46 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 09:26:16 AM »

I have had a few thrown at me, yes.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 09:33:01 AM »

Why do you believe that?

They already deleted a lot of reviews because they considered them "trolls". That means, every time someone bash a s**tty movie that they're defending, then those people are basically sexist / nazis / whatever, and their opinions aren't important. Recent movies that suffered from this selective reviews were THE LAST JEDI, GHOSTBUSTERS 3, CAPTAIN MARVEL, and I believe there are others. They actually changed the rules of the site to adjust to this agenda.

Not to say that IMDb is 100% trustworthy - sometimes it baffles me watching the ratings and then reading the user reviews. THE LAST JEDI is a prime example: the reviews with 1/10 score have thousands of votes, yet the overall movie score is 7, rarely other film have those numbers (the usual consensus is that, if the user reviews are mostly negative, it will be reflected in the final score). Then you have other situations like AFTER LAST SEASON which have a lot of fake accounts voting perfect scores.

The difference between both sites is that IMDb at least keeps the user reviews so you can see them, therefore having a more overall impression of the general opinion; not to mention, the reviews are generally more well written and complex, rather than "bad movie, me don't like".
Rotten Tomatoes has the nasty habit of deleting what they don't like. If they're currently keeping with this practice I have no idea, but to me, they're not a reliable site to visit.

Another thing that always kept me away is that the overall look and interface of the site is awful.  BounceGiggle

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 09:53:47 AM »

I agree. f**k Rotten Tomatos.

plus they smell bad-not as bad as rotten potatoes or onions...and the smell of a dead mouse in the heater vent of your car is really bad.Ugh! And in the dead of winter when you have to use the f**king thing and the only cassette you have is AIR SUPPLY - "I'm so lost in love-I can't live without you"  Bluesad.
What were we talkng about? Question

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 10:58:26 AM »

I am not devoted to too many websites.  I see Rotten Tomatoes assessments occasionally, but I often disagree with reviews or "ratings" from anybody, though opinions and consensus are valuable.  Most of the recent popular films of THIS century do not interest me. 

I don't go to IMDB unless all else fails. 

I use Wikipedia every day.  When I was very young and an avid reader, I read World Book. 

I buy a few times a year from one or two others, but too many passwords are a pain. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 11:06:09 AM »

Why do you believe that?

They already deleted a lot of reviews because they considered them "trolls". That means, every time someone bash a s**tty movie that they're defending, then those people are basically sexist / nazis / whatever, and their opinions aren't important. Recent movies that suffered from this selective reviews were THE LAST JEDI, GHOSTBUSTERS 3, CAPTAIN MARVEL, and I believe there are others. They actually changed the rules of the site to adjust to this agenda.

The difference between both sites is that IMDb at least keeps the user reviews so you can see them, therefore having a more overall impression of the general opinion; not to mention, the reviews are generally more well written and complex, rather than "bad movie, me don't like".
Rotten Tomatoes has the nasty habit of deleting what they don't like. If they're currently keeping with this practice I have no idea, but to me, they're not a reliable site to visit.

Another thing that always kept me away is that the overall look and interface of the site is awful.  BounceGiggle

But those were only user reviews, which no one pays attention to anyway. (At least, no one should). Critics may not be totally unbiased but they have at least seen the movie and are not anonymous voters.

And there really were trolls for the movies you mentioned. A Facebook group organized people (and claimed to use bots) to downvote THE LAST JEDI before it was released. If they can identify these illegitimate votes, they definitely should delete them. (One of the rule changes RT made was to stop allowing people to vote on movies before they had been released--not sure how anyone could object to that).

IMDB audience votes are just as bad. There were 12,000 "Ghostbusters" votes before the movie was released. People (on both sides) were obviously voting for or against the movie without having seen it based on agendas. That makes those votes useless for anyone who cares about the quality of the movie rather than the gender politics. (All three of the movies you cite were "controversial" and subject of organized downvote campaigns because they featured women as heroes).

IMDB ratings for smaller movies are often heavily manipulated by people who worked on the film and their friends giving high ratings. (And here's another report about audience votes being manipulated in a positive direction on RT: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/06/something-suspicious-is-happening-with-rotten-toma.html).

Bottom line is, at least in the few high profile cases where gender politics rather than the quality of the movie are determining how people are voting, the critic's opinions are more valuable than the audience votes. Audience ratings will always be more manipulated, because anyone can vote and no one insures they have seen the movie or don't have an agenda.

Metacritic is better, except that it has a much smaller base of critics and they don't cover nearly as many movies.

Here's a good unbiased breakdown of "Ghostbusters": https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ghostbusters-is-a-perfect-example-of-how-internet-ratings-are-broken/ It touches on a lot of different issues we mentioned here.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 04:41:52 PM »

They said Trevor's undies are 100% fresh. That's good enough for me.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 05:58:23 PM »

Seems like every time I hear about Rotten Tomatoes these days is how it shows that there is a disconnect between film critics and the normal viewing public. 

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) for instance has only a 41% approval from Critics but and 83% approval from audience.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 10:23:20 PM »

RT was eaten by capitalism. Because capitalism eats everything.

A review site starts with the best of intentions. It either stays small and largely ignored or becomes successful, gets larger,  more influential,  and bought up by the very people whose products they were  reviewing. When a site becomes a potential resource, big biz finds a way to shut it down or take it over.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 06:27:45 AM »

I am not devoted to too many websites.  I see Rotten Tomatoes assessments occasionally, but I often disagree with reviews or "ratings" from anybody, though opinions and consensus are valuable.  Most of the recent popular films of THIS century do not interest me.  

I use Wikipedia every day.  When I was very young and an avid reader, I read World Book.  

I buy a few times a year from one or two others, but too many passwords are a pain.

I had a set of World Book from 1949 that told me man would never set foot on the moon. My Dad found them in an old farmhouse we rented in 1969. So- yeah.
That's when you start to use your own brain and doubt everything you hear and half of what you see.  
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 06:31:37 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 08:04:27 PM »

I am not devoted to too many websites.  I see Rotten Tomatoes assessments occasionally, but I often disagree with reviews or "ratings" from anybody, though opinions and consensus are valuable.  Most of the recent popular films of THIS century do not interest me.  

I use Wikipedia every day.  When I was very young and an avid reader, I read World Book.  

I had a set of World Book from 1949 that told me man would never set foot on the moon. My Dad found them in an old farmhouse we rented in 1969. So- yeah.
That's when you start to use your own brain and doubt everything you hear and half of what you see.  

Thast was based on an idiotic and completely inane belief that a rocket could not fly in space  as in vacuum there was no air form the exhaust to push against. This was based on a statement made by a scientifically half ignorant person who did not understand laws of motion.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 08:33:55 PM »

I don't use RT since the rating system is bizarre.  Personally I thought IMDb had a more consistent rating system between critics and users  than RT. IMDb still has a better system than RT, but personally I think it's been borked when Amazon bought them.

yeah no.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Rotten Tomatoes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.