Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:18:08 PM
714500 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (2007) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (2007)  (Read 3545 times)
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 18, 2019, 12:53:59 PM »

What does the members of this noble forum think about this supposedly amazing movie? Through the Internet I keep reading completely opposite reactions to it. It seems like the Coen Brothers usually end up doing this "you either love or hate it" kind of movies, although this one gets insane and consistent praise.

Granted, I should watch the movie again to have a fresh perspective, but personally I considered it extremely boring, depressing, and simply bad. The story went nowhere and I didn't cared about any of the characters, therefore I couldn't give a damn about the non-existant conclusion.
I watched it many years ago so my memory could be fading, but I perfectly remember the ridiculous "villain" and how we joked with my friends about not only his silly haircut, but also his strange weapon of choice, and how omnipotent he was.

So, what's your opinions about this critically acclaimed movie? I put the discussion in "Good Movies" just because of this fact, but I consider it garbage.  TeddyR

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »

I seen it. I don't really remember a lot about it.
So there ya go!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 01:16:38 PM »

What does the members of this noble forum think about this supposedly amazing movie? Through the Internet I keep reading completely opposite reactions to it. It seems like the Coen Brothers usually end up doing this "you either love or hate it" kind of movies, although this one gets insane and consistent praise.
Granted, I should watch the movie again to have a fresh perspective, but personally I considered it extremely boring, depressing, and simply bad. The story went nowhere and I didn't cared about any of the characters, therefore I couldn't give a damn about the non-existant conclusion.
I watched it many years ago so my memory could be fading, but I perfectly remember the ridiculous "villain" and how we joked with my friends about not only his silly haircut, but also his strange weapon of choice, and how omnipotent he was.
So, what's your opinions about this critically acclaimed movie? I put the discussion in "Good Movies" just because of this fact, but I consider it garbage.  TeddyR

The villain was played by JAVIER BARDEM - Anton.  This character is hardly "invincible", but he is a force of nature.  A force for evil.  The haircut is somehow perfectly STRANGE and RIDICULOUS.  Please remember Anton has two serious injuries in the story (first the gunshot - then the car accident).  What happens to that first man (JOSH BROLIN) who injures Anton...?  HE IS NOT KILLED BY ANTON, but by strangers outside the view of the film audience.  WHY?  There's a reason.  TOMMY LEE JONES at the very end of the movie relates a dream he had... following his father's lantern "in all that swirling snow and dark". 

"Mister, you gotta bone stickin' outta your arm..."

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 01:46:44 PM »

Whoever the Coen Brothers target audience is, it certainly isn't me. Their output tends to leave me cold. I did kinda like this one until it was apparent the end of the movie wasn't really going to go anywhere and I lost interest in the whole thing. IIdid like the character of Anton and I get that the film has a whole deeper meaning. It just didn't do it for me overall.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 03:03:24 PM »

Whoever the Coen Brothers target audience is, it certainly isn't me. Their output tends to leave me cold. I did kinda like this one until it was apparent the end of the movie wasn't really going to go anywhere and I lost interest in the whole thing. IIdid like the character of Anton and I get that the film has a whole deeper meaning. It just didn't do it for me overall.
I can relate.  I saw the film at the right time; a combination of pulp and truths, it is hardly a movie movie.  A complete downer, one of the truths is life is often nasty.  Another is there's no country for old men...

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 03:13:02 PM »

Whenever I hear a lot of people praising a movie I prepare myself to dislike it, but in this case the buzz was right, it's a deep film and a masterpiece that rushes at a viewer in many ways at once. The title itself deserves reflection.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 04:59:42 PM »

... The title itself deserves reflection.

WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS ...

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 09:29:19 PM »

I liked the film but Javier Bardem seriously creeped me out.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 10:06:16 PM »

Thumbup  Right.

Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 10:15:01 PM »

Thumbup  Right.

Javier Bardem was the best part.

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 06:31:09 AM »

I had troubles taking Javier Bardem seriously because he reminded us to a s**tty singer of the 70's, so when we watched it with my friends, we just kept singing his songs. Yeah, they're not that alike, but hey, we needed something to entertain ourselves, and the movie certainly wasn't doing the job.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 10:16:04 AM »

^ Hey! It's Frank Langella!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 06:16:39 PM »

I really, really like this film

good lord, how the first guy who got killed  Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 09:12:08 PM »

I had troubles taking Javier Bardem seriously because he reminded us to a s**tty singer of the 70's, so when we watched it with my friends, we just kept singing his songs. Yeah, they're not that alike, but hey, we needed something to entertain ourselves, and the movie certainly wasn't doing the job.

I just listened to some of his music.  Thumbup Yeh- that matches this movie. Drink Thumbup

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (2007) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.