Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:32:18 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Good and controversial movies. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Good and controversial movies.  (Read 5135 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 26, 2019, 04:19:33 AM »

Making a controversial movie is dead easy. Just say something guaranteed to offend and  provoke outrage.

Want to see how simple it is to make a controversial movie?  Just make one featuring Jesus Christ as a gay guy. Instant controversy no matter how bad or worthless the movie happened to be.

But making a good controversial movie is a lot harder. Making a movie that  makes a valid point, that says something real,  that isn't just about poking a hornet's nest with a stick to provoke a reaction, that's  harder.

I was thinking of early examples of good controversial movies. "Payton Place" was a good example. It walked up  to thast smiling,  inane,  plastic made of image  of middle america Hollywood had created and ripped its mindlessly grinning face right  off, exposing the ugly realty most peolle knew existed and wanted to ignore. Yeah, even in ward and june's neighborhood you'd find rape, incest, abortion and other stuff no one mentioned publicly back then so the victims just got swept under the rug,  told they  just have done something  to deserve it because it just didn't happen to "good people" and you didn't want to embarrass your family.

Peyton place took real balls to make and release and boy was it controversial as I recall from my social studies class. (Way before my time but I caught it on tv.)

Yeah it was controversial and maybe it let some people  talk about some things and some victims were  able to stop feeling like they "deserved it". So it was good in some context.

What do you consider a controversial movie thst was good and why?

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 06:01:17 AM »

The first one that comes to mind is CHINATOWN, which explored a situation of incest in a high profile above-the-law family. Considering the times in which this movie came out, I believe it was a pretty heavy subject.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 07:48:35 AM »

MIDNIGHT COWBOY - controversial at the time, not today. Masterpiece.

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE - Still somewhat controversial. A very serious philosophical exploration of free will.

ANTICHRIST - Maybe the most divisive movie of recent times. Went too far, for sure, but has a real nightmare quality that's hard to shake.

THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST - Only controversial with a small group of dimwitted protesters. It's actually a very Christian and moving movie.

THE DEVILS - Nuns gone wild! Wouldn't be as controversial if it came out today. Suffered a lot from the initial controversy and never completely recovered.

FREAKS - Still makes me uneasy, but I don't think the freaks were exploited

Honestly I don't remember anyone ever considering CHINATOWN controversial, but I was too young when it came out to pay attention. I'm sure someone did, but it was nominated for 11 Oscars.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 08:52:01 AM »

A CLOCKWORK ORANGE - Still somewhat controversial. A very serious philosophical exploration of free will.

ANTICHRIST - Maybe the most divisive movie of recent times. Went too far, for sure, but has a real nightmare quality that's hard to shake.

THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST - Only controversial with a small group of dimwitted protesters. It's actually a very Christian and moving movie.

THE DEVILS - Nuns gone wild! Wouldn't be as controversial if it came out today. Suffered a lot from the initial controversy and never completely recovered.

Honestly I don't remember anyone ever considering CHINATOWN controversial, but I was too young when it came out to pay attention. I'm sure someone did, but it was nominated for 11 Oscars.

Not gonna lie, I'm mostly saying that because of what my dad told me about it. I watched the movie and loved it, nowadays that plot twist isn't that shocking but I can see it somewhat relevant back then. Maybe the times we were living in Argentina in those years could've added to the shock factor (a military dictatorship ended in 1973 while another started in 1976, and movies like this were banned).

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 09:20:49 AM »

Not gonna lie, I'm mostly saying that because of what my dad told me about it. I watched the movie and loved it, nowadays that plot twist isn't that shocking but I can see it somewhat relevant back then. Maybe the times we were living in Argentina in those years could've added to the shock factor (a military dictatorship ended in 1973 while another started in 1976, and movies like this were banned).

I bet Trevor will tell us it was banned in South Africa too!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 11:32:45 AM »

I reckon BIRTH OF A NATION qualifies...I don't care for it myself.
TRIUMPH OF THE WILL as well.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 04:49:28 PM »

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (1955) - A movie about heroin addiction in 1955? You bet! It didn't receive a Production Code Administration seal of approval until several years after it was released.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 05:55:37 PM »

I consider all of the following both good and controversial:

Eyes Wide Shut

Bonnie and Clyde

Straw Dogs (1971)

Scarface

Life of Brian

The Rules of the Game

Citizen Kane

The Last House on the Left

The Wild Bunch

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
ralfy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 09:58:18 AM »

The Loved One
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »

...Honestly I don't remember anyone ever considering CHINATOWN controversial, but I was too young when it came out to pay attention. I'm sure someone did, but it was nominated for 11 Oscars.

CHINATOWN owes part of its greatness to the sleazy cultural slam; incest was still taboo in 1974... particularly since FAYE DUNAWAY's character makes it clear she wasn't raped...  

Remember!  Lots of movies were doing that in the 1970s like THE EXORCIST or DELIVERANCE... turning the culture on its ear.  

Oh...!  DEATH WISH (1974)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:45:40 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 01:11:54 PM »

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE became controversial just because it gained attention from Siskel and Ebert's show.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 01:15:10 PM »

Garbage like SNUFF and BLOODSUCKING FREAKS also gained attention just because they were so vile. But they seem just really stupid once you watch them.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »

The EXORCIST was good. So was ROSEMARY'S BABY.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 02:06:42 PM »

I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE became controversial just because it gained attention from Siskel and Ebert's show.

I hate that movie.  

Garbage like SNUFF and BLOODSUCKING FREAKS also gained attention just because they were so vile. But they seem just really stupid once you watch them.

BLOODSUCKING FREAKS  Lookingup silly, gross, "sexy"  Lookingup  Definitely "vile".   

The EXORCIST was good. So was ROSEMARY'S BABY.

Great movies.   Thumbup
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 02:09:10 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 02:56:53 PM »

here's a few more:

Eyes Without a Face

Heaven's Gate

Do the Right Thing

South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut

Brokeback Mountain

Lolita (1962)

Psycho

Requiem for a Dream

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Dressed to Kill

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Good and controversial movies. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.