Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:58:29 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies You Outgrew « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movies You Outgrew  (Read 8158 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: October 07, 2019, 11:31:47 AM »

Dead Poets Society.

I used to adore this movie, just...loved it. Back in 1992 I left it in my VCR for weeks and would hit play in the morning before school and watch a few minutes and pick up the next day, rewinding when I was done, viewing the entire show too many times to count, knowing the lines, and it was like I was watching a group of people I knew and I felt a kinship to these characters, slugging through a tough private school, high expectations, the poetry and their classy rebellion, it was great.

Later I started thinking about the movie too deeply and I ruined it for myself. Did Mr. Keating truly have only that one class of students he let in on the secrets of the DPS? Was it realistic all these teen boys in the age of Elvis would fall so quickly for Romantic poetry of the Regency? Wasn't Keating kind of a pushy bully in some cases, and didn't he act like a coke-up loon?

As time went by I began to empathize with the headmaster and the set curriculum and eventually saw.... Keating had ruined some of these boys' lives.

Can't even watch Dead Poets Society anymore.  Bluesad

I can think of some other films I may talk about later but this is the big one. This and An American Tail. Totally outgrown that one as well, yep.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 12:11:12 PM »

both of the WAYNE'S WORLD, and BILL & TED movies

as a young teen funny, just cringeworthy now.

however other 'kids' comedies like PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE cannot be outgrown (for me anyway)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 12:44:13 PM »

THE HAUNTING (1963) 

Great movie, good performances, uniquely told "ghost" story, it does not hold up upon repeated viewing (RICHARD JOHNSON particularly). 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 12:49:08 PM »

THE HAUNTING (1963) 

Great movie, good performances, uniquely told "ghost" story, it does not hold up upon repeated viewing (RICHARD JOHNSON particularly). 

Awwww. There is a curse in too often seeing movies you love.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 01:04:18 PM »

the HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1959)
 What seemed spooky as a kid just seems corny now.
I like it. It just seems...corny.

Sinbad movies. the 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD is the only one that holds up.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 01:06:47 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 01:13:33 PM »

HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL is sh!t; but it can be fun.  Stupid movie. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 01:20:06 PM »

I can proudly say that the movies I loved years ago I still do.

There are some - like Amadeus - which I didn't like way back which I like now.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 01:25:46 PM »

I can proudly say that the movies I loved years ago I still do.

For the most part-me too. My brain and body is 57. My soul is-ehh- about 12.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »

When I was younger I couldn't stop watching Jim Carrey comedies. The guy was just awesome and made me laugh to no end. Nowadays I can enjoy them but to a certain degree - ACE VENTURA for example feels... stupid. And yes, that comes from someone who considers SUPER TROOPERS the best comedy of all times.
Ironically, I'm now more eager to watch good ol' Jim in serious roles like THE TRUMAN SHOW and THE NUMBER 23. I think he's a great actor but sadly was typecasted too early in his career.

Having said that, DUMB AND DUMBER it's still perfect and didn't lost a single laugh from me.

-------------------------

ER, regarding DEAD POETS SOCIETY, since you brought up the subject, I would like to share my take on the movie (although I haven't watched it in years, so most of it got lost in my mind). I hated that movie back then and I hate it to this day, and not just because I can't stand Robin Williams.
The whole message is cleverly disguised as "freedom of thinking" but if you look closely, they're just blindly following the commands of their new teacher, who has no problem in discarding all the knowledge we adquired as a human race and just go with what he feels it's ok to teach. And the whole "boo hoo, my dad won't let me act" deal that led a kid to suicide was almost insulting. Poor fella, he has the chance to go and study medicine! I hope no one else has to suffer that terrible fate!  Lookingup
One (of many) thing that I hated of the recent TOLKIEN "biography" was the fact that half of the movie it's a s**tty copy of DEAD POETS SOCIETY, and it's just dreadful. Especially the part in which one of the kids confronts his evil dad who won't let him drink alcohol and fool around in his house. The fiend!

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 01:40:04 PM »

^ Dam! I reckon I'm never gonna watch this movie!
(Mostly because I don't like Robin Williams either.) Plus it sounds like a real downer.
If I'm gonna watch a downer movie, I'll watch TAXI DRIVER.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
claws
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 01:47:50 PM »

Never seen Dead Poets Society. Never appealed to me.

I don't outgrow movies. It would be terrible if I did.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 02:22:15 PM by claws » Logged
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 02:01:17 PM »

talking of Jim Carey, I watched THE MASK for the first time since at least the late 90s the other week, fully expecting it to be exactly the kind of wacky zany comedy that now looks lame, but in fact I found it the opposite. holds up really well, imo

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 02:48:28 PM »

When I was younger I couldn't stop watching Jim Carrey comedies. The guy was just awesome and made me laugh to no end. Nowadays I can enjoy them but to a certain degree - ACE VENTURA for example feels... stupid. And yes, that comes from someone who considers SUPER TROOPERS the best comedy of all times.
Ironically, I'm now more eager to watch good ol' Jim in serious roles like THE TRUMAN SHOW and THE NUMBER 23. I think he's a great actor but sadly was typecasted too early in his career.

Having said that, DUMB AND DUMBER it's still perfect and didn't lost a single laugh from me.

-------------------------

ER, regarding DEAD POETS SOCIETY, since you brought up the subject, I would like to share my take on the movie (although I haven't watched it in years, so most of it got lost in my mind). I hated that movie back then and I hate it to this day, and not just because I can't stand Robin Williams.
The whole message is cleverly disguised as "freedom of thinking" but if you look closely, they're just blindly following the commands of their new teacher, who has no problem in discarding all the knowledge we adquired as a human race and just go with what he feels it's ok to teach. And the whole "boo hoo, my dad won't let me act" deal that led a kid to suicide was almost insulting. Poor fella, he has the chance to go and study medicine! I hope no one else has to suffer that terrible fate!  Lookingup
One (of many) thing that I hated of the recent TOLKIEN "biography" was the fact that half of the movie it's a s**tty copy of DEAD POETS SOCIETY, and it's just dreadful. Especially the part in which one of the kids confronts his evil dad who won't let him drink alcohol and fool around in his house. The fiend!

That is close to how I feel about DPS. The more you think about it the less it works.

Another movie that is completely different IMHO from how the public seems to perceive it is The Breakfast Club, a terrible film that is really about conforming for the sake of popularity. Change to be like the popular girl and the jock will want to go out with you? What was that?

Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 03:21:20 PM »

the HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL (1959)
 What seemed spooky as a kid just seems corny now.
I like it. It just seems...corny.

The House on Haunted Hill has low production values and a silly plot, but it still works for me because Vincent Price sells it so well.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 04:30:54 PM »

PINK FLOYD: THE WALL. Loved it as a moody teenager; now it just seems whiny. (Although maybe that's more outgrowing the album the movie's based on, because I still think the visuals can be great).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies You Outgrew « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.