Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:10:42 PM
714456 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Guaranteed Minimum Income « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Guaranteed Minimum Income  (Read 2366 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: October 09, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »

I'm referring to the programs wherein people receive a set amount of "free money" to spend, courtesy of government social programs that exclude no one.

Not a loaded question, I'm not going to critique any replies, I'm just curious if there are thoughts on this concept.

Thanks!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 11:15:43 AM »

What 'free money' programs? Name ONE.

That hasn't happened in decades.

I'm poor. No one has ever gave me 'free money'. I had to quit my job after 4 heart surgeries, and it took me 3 + years to collect my SSI, which I paid into since 1978. But in those 3 years all I got from the government was a food stamp card, which allowed me to by $198 a month. Cant't buy nothing but food. That was it.
Many years ago, like back in the 70's, Michigan was called the Welfare Wonderland, because your rent got paid, you got food stamps, plus money! That was looong ago.
Where did you hear folks getting "free money"?  Question
Where do you live? Ohio or Indiana I think. If they got a 'free money" thing going on there, well dam! I should move there!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 11:26:08 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 11:28:18 AM »

It's a concept you hear about out there that's being discussed a bit by Democrats, even some Presidential candidates, and I was reading of a few small communities that are giving something like five hundred dollars a month to test the results.

My thoughts are first off how would this be funded on a national level when Bill Gates' entire fortune would give 300,000,000 people about thirty dollars each one time, and he's the wealthiest American, I believe. A sales tax would never begin to cover the amount, and how else could it be funded? Also if people got free money, would many stop working?

The concept very much puzzles me as to how it could ever begin to function.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 11:33:12 AM »

It's not going on right now. Just some s**t that the used car salesmen that run this country talk about? Bulls**t. Folks get into power- they ain't gonna give away s**t. No matter what party it is. So don't worry too much, dear.

BUT-yeah, I agree. It's an impossible stupid hippy idea. I don't think anything should be free. I know folks dumb as rocks work their asses off and some of the smartest people I ever met who worked their asses off. All at the the canning company. For real low pay too.

If us bunch of drunks and idiots can hold a job, any one can.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 11:45:29 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 11:46:26 AM »

We have plenty of those programs in Argentina. Without going into much detail, just let me say that those systems, combined with plenty others that are related, sucked our country dry, and are giving us the second highest inflation in the world.

Without proper control of the destination of this money and places to invest it (read: good jobs), it's nothing but a populist tool that does nothing but harm.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 11:48:44 AM »

Where do I sign up for free money?   BounceGiggle 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 11:51:16 AM »

Many countries have a welfare state of some kind that pays people money when they don't have a job.

Of course, there is always a fine balancing act between giving money to support someone having a tough time and people who, well in some places you have generations of people where no one in the family has ever had a job and are often not only quite proud of this, but are also openly contemptuous of people who do work for a living. There was a show in the UK called Shameless (I believe they did a remake in the US, but I have no idea how similar it is to the original), that was a fictional account of such a family but was fairly accurate.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 11:55:11 AM »

Where do I sign up for free money?   BounceGiggle 

That's what I wanna know!  Buggedout

Small | Large

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 02:00:28 PM »

It's not going to happen anytime soon, but it's actually a good idea and may be practical in the future.

Automation is increasingly taking over in all fields of labor---especially with AI improving exponentially---and there will be fewer and fewer jobs for actual people to do.

Someday relatively soon the only jobs that will be available will be for the people who design and repair the robots who repair other robots, until they put themselves out of a job by programming the robots to do it.

It's not practical now, but it's not too early to start putting the idea out there.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 06:28:07 PM »

The late science fiction author Mack Reynolds wrote a series of sf novels about a future sure most people lived on "negative income tax",  aka the dole.

It was due to automation mostly.

His works were quite prophetic in some ways. He had wrist tv,  phones, radio and credit cards all in one device back in the 70's and had TV screens a person could  access educational services of his choice.

"The towers of utopia" was a novel of his I read that I recommend. 'Sattelite city',  'the galactic medal of honor" and "the 5 way secret agent" are others.

Today his works seem naively optimistic as he assumed a certain level of civility would be maintained.

I recommend his books to anyone interested in the matter this post raises,  he made some valid points.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 06:30:36 PM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 01:56:33 PM »

This is an example of what I was talking about, in this case the concept is being tried on a small scale.

http://www.huffpost.com/entry/stockton-california-universal-basic-income_n_5c697700e4b05c889d20203a

Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 07:50:58 PM »

The fact is that modern technology has reduced the need for many jobs but has not reduced the need for employment. The 18-mid 20th  century paradigm has been permanently altered but we have yet to deal with the effects of the altered paradigm.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Guaranteed Minimum Income « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.