Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:44:05 PM
714413 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  DARK SHADOWS (1966-71) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: DARK SHADOWS (1966-71)  (Read 12851 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: October 13, 2019, 08:19:09 PM »

On Hulu they have every episode of DARK SHADOWS starting with the first appearance of Barnabus Collins. I been watching it- the early episodes are in black and white. The show was real good! In the late 60's it got so convoluted I had no f**king clue what was going on.
Back when these shows first aired I never got to watch it, because I was in school! And this was a daytime soap!

Small | Large
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:24:37 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 06:29:15 PM »

Then they are not showing every episode, because Barnabas Collins (the late Jonathan Frid) did not start appearing in the series till 10 months into the series, which gave a big boost to the popularity of the series.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 01:52:18 PM »

Then they are not showing every episode, because Barnabas Collins (the late Jonathan Frid) did not start appearing in the series till 10 months into the series, which gave a big boost to the popularity of the series.

In fairness Ronny did say every episode "starting with the first appearance of Barnabus Collins." Every episode from there on was how I read it.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Paquita

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 11:11:20 PM »

It's been years since I watched, but if I recall correctly, I think for like 30 episodes (I'm exaggerating) before Barnabas Collins shows up, there's a guy trying all these Wile E Coyote type tricks to get into Barnabas' tomb.  It's kind of funny watching all the episodes together, but I could imagine how boring it would have been having to wait to watch each episode and seeing the same thing every time, one day it's a crowbar and the next it's an axe, and the next he's rigged up a chain and hammer..

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 11:27:58 PM »

^  Yeah. But Willie (That was his name in the show! Real close to Wile E.!)  did a good Renfield imitation!
The whole thing is drawn out contrived bulls**t. But it was better than all other soaps, and game shows!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:42:42 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 08:51:38 PM »

I remember the original broadcasts, in the afternoon, of this soap.  Suddenly, everybody (whoever that must have been) said to watch Dark Shadows at 4 o'clock... and me and my brother and sisters would run home from school in time to do it, always on time!  Now, I understand Barnabas was introduced to prop up sagging ratings.  The tomb was opened by the "handyman" Willie Loomis, who got a surprise when he found Barnabas alive in his coffin.  Willie then became Barnabas' slave.  Many years later, in the early 1980s, my brother and sister and I watched many of those early episodes again, and the swift segway to color, on late night TV, two episodes in a row each night, starting about 2 or 3 AM!  You will see scenery move, people moving behind it, revealed by stumbling cameramen, and boom mics, watch out!!!  The best though, is when they forget their lines!  Barnabas: "Hominahominahomina...and so, Julia, what was it you just said...?!"   It's really quite cheezee. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 07:19:58 AM »

^ I think I still have a VHS tape with all Dark Shadows bloopers!  Cheers

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 07:26:00 AM »

I was aware of Dark Shadows! I seen the movie at the Strand in 1970, it was in Famous Monsters, I had the Barnabas model kit- (first model kit I ever got!), they had comic books-it was like a craze!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »

I had this magazine in 1971! I still have a copy!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 05:36:11 PM »

My mother watched it during it's original broadcast and I often watched it with her. HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS was the first horror movie I saw in a theater. I made my dad take me when I was about 6 years old.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 07:32:50 PM »

My mother watched it during it's original broadcast and I often watched it with her. HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS was the first horror movie I saw in a theater. I made my dad take me when I was about 6 years old.

I was 8.  Thumbup

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 03:19:18 PM »

i was 9 and CRUSHED that quentin wasn't in it, i had such a crush on him, lol! the sequel did though, i think i saw that at least a dozen times at our local theater.

don't EVEN...EVER!
Kowdisc
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 08:07:49 PM »

they (abc) had changed the time from three thirty to four o'clock. the show was pre-empted a few times by apollo splashdowns. I started watching I think in late 1967 and watched the show to the end but by that time the storylines had gotten so convoluted it didn't matter anymore. the writers Gordon Russell and Sam Hall never should have taken their eyes of the fangs...BARNABAS COLLINS.
as for the nbc 1991 primetime revival which wasn't too bad they got a few things wrong however. they botched the casting of Angelique. lara parker with those eyes is unforgettable. but Barbara Steele must be acknowledged as having surpassed Grayson Hall as Julia Hoffman.

nbc pulled the plug too soon.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2020, 08:31:03 PM »

^ It would have been swell to see Barbara in all her glory every week on prime time TV!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 06:38:13 PM »

on that we agree, gentlemen, NOBODY holds a candle to barbara when it comes to the peepers! Cheers 

don't EVEN...EVER!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  DARK SHADOWS (1966-71) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.