Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:47:48 AM
714432 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  H.P. Lovecraft Biopic « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: H.P. Lovecraft Biopic  (Read 3824 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: November 25, 2019, 10:26:29 AM »

Why isn't there one? I know writing is about "the tale, not he who tells it" but was HPL's life truly too boring for film?  Were his personal views really such that people can't get past them? (If he was such a bigot why'd he marry a Jew, you know?) If Robert E. Howard's sheltered life could be turned into a surprisingly good film (The Whole Wide World), surely by letting CGI enter his imagination Lovecraft's longer existence could be squeezed for 120 minutes. I know I'd go see it.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 01:55:03 PM »

I couldn't say if Lovecraft had a thing against Jews (he might have, I honestly haven't seen any special mention of them), although I know he had a problem with people of a different colour to him.

I wonder what he made of ginger-haired people?

I did find it interesting that despite the usual excuse made that "It was back then and everyone thought like that", that many of Lovecraft's friends found his race views rather distasteful. For myself, I think the guy was mentally ill and not just because of his large collection of phobia's (fish, low temperatures, non-whites and so on). It was also these fears however that helped make his writing what it was though.

Anyway, I digress. I too would like to see a film based on his life. I've heard rumours of a TV show called Lovecraft County. I have no idea if this is connected to the book of the same name about his life, or if it is something entirely different.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 06:11:15 PM »

lovecraft country is upcoming on HBO, which i don't have, and i haven't read the book yet, so...we'll see what comes of it. THIS time i'm waiting to read the book AFTER i see the series.

don't EVEN...EVER!
Archivist

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 08:45:39 PM »

Lovecraft was a very complex and flawed person, and I'm not sure how a director/writer would portray him in a sympathetic light in today's PC world. He had many mental issues along with his phobias and racist beliefs, not to mention his reclusiveness and penchant for writing and speaking like someone from the previous century. Perhaps some universal things might apply, like the death of his mother, his odd relationships, his continual struggle for recognition, as well as his prodigious letter writing.

I'm imagining Benedict Cumberbatch as Lovecraft, sputtering with rage and disgust but deeply generous and helpful with his letters. If you were to add a fantasy element, you could have him appear as both Lovecraft, as as his own dream character of Randolph Carter in his stories, or witness to the unspeakable jungle rites of his unnamed cults. When he 'returns' from his mental journeys, he commits them to paper and sends off the manuscript to August Derleth or whoever. Now that I give it some thought, it could be a really good film as long as it was written and directed properly. There's the opportunity to tie the contents of his work to his life circumstances and personal history. He was something of a prodigy, reading at the age of three; writing poems at the age of seven, and greatly interested in astronomy and chemistry.

The more I think of it, the more this seems like a Good Idea. But it needs a lot of writing and fleshing out to be something really viable.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 12:27:22 AM »

I couldn't say if Lovecraft had a thing against Jews (he might have, I honestly haven't seen any special mention of them), although I know he had a problem with people of a different colour to him.

From what I've heard he absolutely despised them. He was married to a Jewish woman. When she asked why he doesn't hate her he pulled some mental gymnastic bulls**t to say that she's not a Jew anymore.

chainsaw midget

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 11:29:55 AM »

I'm not sure how a director/writer would portray him in a sympathetic light in today's PC world.
You can't even mention Lovecraft's writing in today's PC world without people jumping up and down to yell about how he was suck a horrible racist person that was racist and how he wrote nothing but racist stories about being racist. 

claws
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »

I think to remember Marilyn Manson wanting to tackle a Lovecraft Bio of sorts in the 2000s, but a google search brought up nothing. Might have been another singer.
Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 12:03:54 PM »

I'm not sure how a director/writer would portray him in a sympathetic light in today's PC world.
You can't even mention Lovecraft's writing in today's PC world without people jumping up and down to yell about how he was suck a horrible racist person that was racist and how he wrote nothing but racist stories about being racist. 

*with tentacles.

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 09:57:09 PM »

John Lennon beat his wife, Martin Luther King Jr. was homophobic, and Gandhi was a racist.

You gotta take the bad with the good and separate the art from the artist.

Archivist

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 11:35:09 PM »

Tom Cruise is in the same boat. Regardless of what you think of his personal life and beliefs, he's been in some darn good entertaining movies.

As for Lovecraft, the biopic movie is forming in my mind and I'd love to see something like it made. Using a kind of crossover between his dream life and physical life, beginning with his interests and nightmares as a child, showing the conflict between his skepticism but his immensely detailed stories of cosmic horror, it would be really cool. You'd see him as Randolph Carter in the dream world, and a quite different person in real life.

I'm just not sure how the movie would end; would we go right to his death from cancer, or would it end on a high note when something major is accepted and published? Personally, I'd love it if the movie ended with him passing away from illness, but waking up in the dream world as a young Randolph Carter again, and he passes through the gate of the Silver Key.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 03:52:34 AM »

lovecraft country is upcoming on HBO, which i don't have, and i haven't read the book yet, so...we'll see what comes of it. THIS time i'm waiting to read the book AFTER i see the series.

Fantastic book. I'd like to see what they made of it on screen...

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 05:36:14 PM »

archivist, i think you should start writing a script, i REALLY like your concept. Cheers
  frank, i'll  probably get a month of HBO from hulu once it's done so i can see it, i'll be sure to post about it for you!

don't EVEN...EVER!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  H.P. Lovecraft Biopic « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.