Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:40:45 AM
714509 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hannibal « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hannibal  (Read 1214 times)
Reed Rothchild
« on: June 04, 2002, 02:25:26 PM »

Saw Hannibal last night and thought it was an interesting sequel which stood up as a good film in it's own right.
      I've never read the book, so the question is: what's different with the ending? A few critics cited they hated and couldn't accept what  Starling's character did, but what did she do that earned so much venom? Fall in love with him? Share that brain and onion stir fry? What was it?
Chadzilla
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2002, 04:52:26 PM »

Reed Rothchild wrote:
>
> < Fall in love with him?
> Share that brain and onion stir fry?

Yes and YES (Clarice even asks for seconds).  Hannibal and Clarice then run off together and hide out in South America and have lots of hot sex and cultured nights on the town.  A lot of people hated the ending, but I loved it (it creeped me out and robbed me of a good night of sleep, something that no other book has ever done).  I think that Thomas Harris was playing a sick, black joke on reader expectations of some kind of Starling saves the day ending and rubbing our faces in the sick love to the two shared in the previous book and movie (Harris himself states he was not comfortable with the ending, but could not find another one that wasn't cheap or contrived).  Whatever you do, don't dance with the devil (the novel ends with the two love birds actually engaged in a a dance).  The primary reason Jodie Foster refused to do the movie was the novel's ending, which she hated.
Steven Millan
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2002, 08:41:31 PM »

After Hannibal carries her away from the massacre at Mason Verger's place,Clarice falls in love with hannibal,they have hot sex,and she eats Kimble's scrambled brain's along with hannibal,and they ride off onto South America together.
                   That was the original ending,as opposed to the film's more literal(sequel-sense)ending.
                   Apparentely,Thomas Harris has gotten bored with the Hannibal concept,and decided to take it to outrageous extremes,since many fans more idealize with Hannibal(and any other movie monster),and just decided to have Hannibal get the girl,and sex it up with her.
                  Personally,I thought it was a nice,original take on the typical horror story ending(after all,the Frankenstein monster in "Young Frankenstein" also gets the girl,and beds her),though doing something very challenging,but original,for the genre for a change..
Reed Rothchild
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2002, 03:52:37 AM »

Cheers, guys. Jeez, I was joking about the sharing of the brains - ewwwwwww!
Neville
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2002, 05:55:05 AM »

Get the damn book, it is surely worth a reding. My personal opinion is that Harris decided to have a lot of fun at the studio's expense selling them the rights of an unfilmable book, filled with dark humour, wild, impossible plot twists and gore. It even makes fun of Jodie Foster! Really, at one scene Verger asks to one of the people to do research over Clarice, and the asks him if she is a lesbian! I athink Foster was angry with Harris for this rather than the ending.

About the movie, it has its ups and downs, but acting is solid and I just loved the scenes in Florence, dark & gothic, and the cat-and-mouse between Lecter & Pazzi. I also though the ending was very interesting, and overall I consider it a seriously underrated movie.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hannibal « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.