Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:49:26 AM
714425 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  A Virtual Viral Pandemic. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Virtual Viral Pandemic.  (Read 2546 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: March 17, 2020, 11:21:39 AM »

This is an older story, back from when I used to play Warcraft. I remember this incident and going through the major alliance city, Ironforge afterwards. I was wading knee deep through corpses.

The Corrupted Blood incident was a virtual pandemic in the MMORPG World of Warcraft, which began on September 13, 2005, and lasted for one week. The epidemic began with the introduction of the new raid Zul'Gurub and its end boss Hakkar the Soulflayer. When confronted and attacked, Hakkar would cast a hit point-draining and highly contagious debuff spell called "Corrupted Blood" on players.

The spell, intended to last only seconds and function only within the new area of Zul'Gurub, soon spread across the virtual world by way of an oversight that allowed pets and minions to take the affliction out of its intended confines. By both accidental and purposeful intent, a pandemic ensued that quickly killed lower-level characters and drastically changed normal gameplay, as players did what they could do to avoid infection. Despite measures such as programmer-imposed quarantines, and the players' abandoning of densely populated cities (or even just not playing the game), it lasted until a combination of patches and resets of the virtual world finally controlled the spread.

The conditions and reactions of the event attracted the attention of epidemiologists for its implications of how human populations could react to a real-world epidemic.

History

The epidemic began on September 13, 2005, when Blizzard introduced a new raid called Zul'Gurub into the game as part of a new update. Its end boss, Hakkar the Soulflayer, could affect players by draining their blood and using it to heal himself. By intentionally poisoning one's own blood using a debuff called Corrupted Blood, which did a significant amount of damage to the player over time, Hakkar would drain blood and apply the disease to himself, allowing him to be killed. However, Corrupted Blood could be passed on between any nearby characters, and would kill characters of lower levels in a few seconds, while higher level characters could keep themselves alive. It would disappear as time passed or when the character died.

Due to a programming oversight, when hunters or warlocks dismissed their pets, those pets would keep any active debuffs when summoned again. Non-player characters could contract the debuff, and could not be killed by it but could still spread it to players; in effect, this turned them into asymptomatic disease carriers and a form of vector for the debuff.[1] At least three of the game's servers were affected. The difficulty in killing Hakkar may have limited the spread of the disease. Discussion forum posters described seeing hundreds of bodies lying in the streets of the towns and cities. Deaths in World of Warcraft are not permanent, as characters are resurrected shortly afterward.[2] However, dying in such a way is disadvantageous to the player's character and incurs inconvenience.[3]

During the epidemic, normal gameplay was disrupted. The major towns and cities were abandoned by the population as panic set in and players rushed to evacuate to the relative safety of the countryside, leaving urban areas filled with dead player characters.[4]

Player responses varied but resembled real-world behaviors. Some characters with healing abilities volunteered their services, some lower-level characters who could not help would direct people away from infected areas, some characters would flee to uninfected areas, and some characters attempted to spread the disease to others.[1] Players in the game reacted to the disease as if there were real risk to their well-being.[5] Blizzard Entertainment attempted to institute a voluntary quarantine to stem the disease, but it failed, as some players didn't take it seriously, while others took advantage of the pandemonium.[1] Despite certain security measures, players overcame them by giving the disease to summonable pets.[6]

Blizzard was forced to fix the problem by instituting hard resets of the servers and applying quick fixes.[2] The plague ended on October 8, 2005, when Blizzard made pets unable to be affected by Corrupted Blood, thereby rendering it unable to exist outside of Zul'Gurub.
Reaction

At the time, World of Warcraft had more than two million players all over the world. Before Blizzard Entertainment commented on the outbreak, there was debate whether it was intentional or a glitch. On Blizzard's forums, posters were commenting about how it was a fantastic world event, and calling it "the day the plague wiped out Ironforge." An editor of a World of Warcraft fan site described it as the first proper world event. After the incident began, Blizzard received calls from angry customers complaining about how they just died. Some players abandoned the game altogether until the problem was fixed. The hard resets were described as a "blunt ending" by Gamasutra.

The people who spread the disease out of malice were described by Security Focus editor Robert Lemos as terrorists of World of Warcraft. He commented that this might be the first time a disease passed from player to player in a game.

Jeffrey Kaplan—a game designer for World of Warcraft—stated that it gave them ideas for possible real events in the future. Brian Martin—independent security consultant for World of Warcraft—commented that it presented an in-game dynamic that was not expected by players or Blizzard developers and that it reminds people that even in controlled online atmospheres, unexpected consequences can occur. He also compared it to a computer virus, stating that while it is not as serious, it also reminds people of the impact computer code can have on them, and they're not always safe, regardless of the precautions they take.

That particular raid, Zul'Gurub kicked ass btw. I loved doing that back in vanila warcraft.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 11:23:50 AM »

This one, however I did not know about as it happened after I'd quit the game.

Green fire
On 12 January 2017, lasting for a day until a hotfix was released by Blizzard, a plague started, involving a debuff from the second boss in the instance Sunwell Plateau - Brutallus, called Burn which damages players over time, specifically doing significantly increasing damage. The debuff could be passed from player to player of the same faction within 2 yards, and would kill low level players[15] in a few seconds, while higher level players would manage to keep themselves alive. It would disappear in 1 minute or when the player died. The debuff would reset its timer if an ally was infected. It was believed that the debuff had been taken out of the instance using a hunter pet, which had the effect on. During the incident, Blizzard gamemasters disinfected players and kept the plague under control by warning groups, such as "Green Fire Parade", who were spreading the plague from Stormwind across Goldshire. As in previous plagues, the green fire had been kept alive by players in many different locations, including Northshire, Goldshire and Stormwind, until a hotfix was released.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 11:51:45 AM »

And who can forget....LEEEROOOOOOOY JENNNNNNNNNNNNNKINS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hooKVstzbz0

At least I have chicken.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 08:18:20 PM »

And who can forget....LEEEROOOOOOOY JENNNNNNNNNNNNNKINS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hooKVstzbz0

At least I have chicken.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  A Virtual Viral Pandemic. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.