Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:28:57 PM
714530 Posts in 53099 Topics by 7745 Members
Latest Member: Documentkgh
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do you have a living hero? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do you have a living hero?  (Read 5695 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: April 28, 2020, 10:32:42 PM »

I watched the PBS documentary Inside The Vatican tonight (it's a few months old).  It reminded me of how much I admire POPE FRANCIS.  He's my hero. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 08:04:45 AM »

I have a close friend who has faithfully served our country for 20 years, often at great personal cost.
That's my hero.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 11:51:33 AM »

My Mom, definitely. Young at heart, active, lived through two horrible wars, the passing of two husbands and she raised me which was no walk in the park.

What does she say about this corona virus thing? "It's actually nothing, I've been through worse." Cheers

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 01:03:06 PM »

I watched the PBS documentary Inside The Vatican tonight (it's a few months old).  It reminded me of how much I admire POPE FRANCIS.  He's my hero. 

I just wish Pope Francis would turn Catholic.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »

Me. In fact, I am sitting here signing photos of myself with "To me, with frank admiration."

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 02:33:00 PM »

Me. In fact, I am sitting here signing photos of myself with "To me, with frank admiration."

BounceGiggle

You kill me!

Do I have a living hero? I dunno...Bela Lugosi's dead...
All my hero's are dead. Crazy Horse, Geronimo, Franklin Roosevelt,...eh.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:37:28 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 02:40:10 PM »

I watched the PBS documentary Inside The Vatican tonight (it's a few months old).  It reminded me of how much I admire POPE FRANCIS.  He's my hero.  

The man has incomprehensible humility.  Your comment is of the ilk of this Pope's critics, Italian, British, American.  Meanwhile, church attendance continues to dwindle.  POPE FRANCIS realizes the Church must change in order to survive, anyone who will not embrace positive change is an elitist.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 02:55:16 PM »

I would say Michael Collins.

https://phys.org/news/2019-07-apollo-astronauts-pad-years.html

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 02:58:15 PM »

I watched the PBS documentary Inside The Vatican tonight (it's a few months old).  It reminded me of how much I admire POPE FRANCIS.  He's my hero.  

The man has incomprehensible humility.  Your comment is of the ilk of this Pope's critics, Italian, British, American.  Meanwhile, church attendance continues to dwindle.  POPE FRANCIS realizes the Church must change in order to survive, anyone who will not embrace positive change is an elitist.

I have to say I do like what I see of him. Seems to be what I think a christian should be.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 10:34:59 PM »

MICHAEL COLLINS is one of my heroes, along with his crewmate BUZZ ALDRIN.   Thumbup Thumbup

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 08:53:24 AM »

Humility alone is not a defense against criticism, nor is it a Christian's job to change to suit the opinions of the world; it is a Christian's duty to hold to Jesus' truth no matter what the world may want. There is a common misconception that Jesus did not judge others, when in fact Jesus most definitely did take strong stands against popular positions, and absolutely did tell people when they were doing wrong. Knowing someone is doing wrong does not release a Christian from his obligation to show kindness and charity toward a person or even toward an entire world, but a Christian is never free to follow another path just because society has made that path more popular. It takes tremendous courage to be a Christian.

And while I'm at it....

"I would say Michael Collins."

https://phys.org/news/2019-07-apollo-astronauts-pad-years.html

Oh, THAT Michael Collins! You scared me for a second, RC, I thought you meant Michael Collins the Irish terrorist, and I was going to point out that he's dead. Shows where my mind rests.  Question
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 09:11:32 AM by ER » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 12:53:54 PM »

...Humility alone is not a defense against criticism, nor is it a Christian's job to change to suit the opinions of the world; it is a Christian's duty to hold to Jesus' truth no matter what the world may want. There is a common misconception that Jesus did not judge others, when in fact Jesus most definitely did take strong stands against popular positions, and absolutely did tell people when they were doing wrong. Knowing someone is doing wrong does not release a Christian from his obligation to show kindness and charity toward a person or even toward an entire world, but a Christian is never free to follow another path just because society has made that path more popular. It takes tremendous courage to be a Christian.
Who needs to be defended against criticism?  Who defended Jesus? 
I believe the Christian's job is humility, charity, forgiveness and love.  Change is inevitable, adaptation is necessary.  POPE FRANCIS is not changing the truth, but an interpretation of practice. 
I see nothing anti-Catholic in POPE FRANCIS' actions.  I see the fulfillment of high Christian ideals.  You've got a flip-flop going on there, too ("Knowing someone is doing wrong does not release a Christian from his obligation to show kindness and charity...)  You know the Church needs to adapt.  You are obfuscating again, a practice popular in the USA these days. 

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 12:55:25 PM »

...Humility alone is not a defense against criticism, nor is it a Christian's job to change to suit the opinions of the world; it is a Christian's duty to hold to Jesus' truth no matter what the world may want. There is a common misconception that Jesus did not judge others, when in fact Jesus most definitely did take strong stands against popular positions, and absolutely did tell people when they were doing wrong. Knowing someone is doing wrong does not release a Christian from his obligation to show kindness and charity toward a person or even toward an entire world, but a Christian is never free to follow another path just because society has made that path more popular. It takes tremendous courage to be a Christian.
Who needs to be defended against criticism?  Who defended Jesus?  
I believe the Christian's job is humility, charity, forgiveness and love.  Change is inevitable, adaptation is necessary.  POPE FRANCIS is not changing the truth, but an interpretation of practice.  
I see nothing anti-Catholic in POPE FRANCIS' actions.  I see the fulfillment of high Christian ideals.  You've got a flip-flop going on there, too ("Knowing someone is doing wrong does not release a Christian from his obligation to show kindness and charity...)  You know the Church needs to adapt.  You are obfuscating again, a practice popular in the USA these days.  

John, sincere question. You ever been tested for autism? I've long thought that about you, not the least of which when something can be plainly stated and it eludes you to the point you refer to it as obfuscated.

Read some Chesterton sometime on the subject of the immutability of truth.

One doctrine of Church teaching clarified in the Counter Reformation is that a Pope's authority does not exceed Church doctrine, this was codified under Paul IV in the 16th century, and reiterated at the First Vatican Council in the 1870s. Should a Pope espouse heresy he loses office. (This is known as sedvacatism, or "empty chair".) I will not go as far as to say Francis has espoused heresy (many do) but I will say there are limits to the changes any Pope may bring about.

(I had to take a semester of Canon Law in high school taught by a Jesuit canon lawyer who studied in Rome. I got an A, by the way, and since I once learned it, being me and being afflicted by parahyperthymesia, I cannot unlearn it or forget it.)

Pope Francis is a kind man, much in the way Jimmy Carter was a kind President, but there are limits to his powers, and even should these changes be ex-cathedra, and endorsed by the College of Cardinals, they can still be heretical and not infallible.

I don't have a dog in the fight, despite my taking up this subject, but the laws of the Catholic Church fascinate me.

And I do wish you'd quit saying something is "obfuscated" just because your mind won't comprehend it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 01:07:43 PM by ER » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 01:28:27 PM »

John, sincere question. You ever been tested for autism? I've long thought that about you, not the least of which when something can be plainly stated and it eludes you to the point you refer to it as obfuscated.

You would not want to know what I've "long thought" about you, except you debate like a bully. 

Read some Chesterton sometime on the subject of the immutability of truth.
One doctrine of Church teaching clarified in the Counter Reformation is that a Pope's authority does not exceed Church doctrine, this was codified under Paul IV in the 16th century, and reiterated at the First Vatican Council in the 1870s. Should a Pope espouse heresy he loses office. (This is known as sedvacatism, or "empty chair".) I will not go as far as to say Francis has espoused heresy (many do) but I will say there are limits to the changes any Pope may bring about.
...And I do wish you'd quit saying something is "obfuscated" just because your mind won't comprehend it.

I assert "obfuscation" because that is exactly what you've done.  I am not going to assert my ability to learn and understand as you do, I have self confidence.  It is not necessary for me to reach for insults in a debate; one only does that with doubts. 

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 01:31:24 PM »

this made me think of " We need a living passion, to believe in..." David Hasselhoff song
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do you have a living hero? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.