Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:29:47 PM
714530 Posts in 53099 Topics by 7745 Members
Latest Member: Documentkgh
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ninja Condors (1987) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ninja Condors (1987)  (Read 1171 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 19, 2020, 12:56:39 PM »

I really love some of the ninja craze movies of the 1980s, from both sides of the Pacific.  So I saw this come up on Amazon Prime, saw it had Alexander Lo in it, and gave it a go.

Holy toledo...  What a mess of a film.  This feels like a Godfrey Ho pasted together hack job, except that it's clearly sourced from a single film.  Scenes start and end completely abruptly, cuts are constant and almost random, continuity is a total mess.  The dub job is often nuts.  They'll introduce plot hooks that seem like they'll pay off, then kill it off a scene later.  Or something will come up that does pay off in the end, but it's the sort of thing that in a normal film would be in the first act, but here it's like an hour in and pays off a few scenes later.  It's just bizarre.  An example, the main bad guy has a girlfriend and there's a back and forth with the hero over her.  But the girl isn't even REFERENCED until the movie is over half way over.  She ends up apparently romantically entangled with the hero, despite them having not a single actual conversation the entire film.

The hackiness of it even extends to the action sequences, which are clearly energetically performed by technically skilled stunt and martial arts people...  But are often badly damaged by bad framing and HORRIBLE editing.  Several bits and pieces I actually don't even know what happened.  There's a part where a guy grabs the hero's sword, then it cuts to a reaction of other characters, then back, and the guy holding the sword is facing the opposite direction (still holding on).  Then he starts bleeding from his mouth and falls over.  It's incomprehensible. 

That said...  It's not boring.  You get ninjas on a merry-go-round and ninjas on ice!  Constant location changes and bizarre dialogue.  Many here would probably enjoy it.  But, it is interesting to contrast with the American ninja film it most reminds me of, American Ninja.  Like American Ninja, Ninja Condors eventually becomes a sort of interracial buddy movie between a ninja and a black man (another note, Steve James in American Ninja has way more charisma) with martial arts experience.  There's a plucky girl who gets dragged along as a hostage at times.  There's an old master who trained the hero and gives him a mission.  It involves ninjas and modern day organized crime and the police/military. 

But, American Ninja, as stupid and often hilariously written as it is, is 1000x easier to follow and far, far better shot and edited.  The performers and choreographers aren't as good, but you can always tell what happens and there's proper build up and pay off throughout all the action scenes.  The end result - much better action scenes and better, much more coherent storytelling.  I'd recommend that instead.  But if you just want a really trashy ninja film, Ninja Condors is streaming free on Amazon Prime and YouTube, it'll scratch the itch too.  If nothing else, you'll see some of the most bizarrely abrupt scene ends and starts of any film ever made.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 10:39:15 AM »

I just flicked thru some of it on youtube (except I totally misread your thread title and searched for NINJA CORRIDORS instead..  I thought that was a weird name)

the intro reminds me of just about every Godfrey Ho film I've seen, with the random flying moves

it's got over half a million views so it must be doing something right

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ninja Condors (1987) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.