Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:58:26 AM
714522 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  VHS Tapes from the 2000s « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: VHS Tapes from the 2000s  (Read 4585 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 08:29:44 AM »

I still have a VCR but I almost never buy tapes anymore. There's not that much that's still on VHS but not yet on DVD or Blu-ray (or streaming).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
dcj2112
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2020, 09:02:26 AM »

I still have a VCR but I almost never buy tapes anymore. There's not that much that's still on VHS but not yet on DVD or Blu-ray (or streaming).

If you hunt enough you'll be surprised what you find :)

Just check out these two links from a quick Google search:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls000028642/

https://bandsaboutmovies.com/2019/06/28/ten-movies-that-were-never-even-released-on-dvd/

As I said this was a quick Google search that literally took me less than 10 seconds. I'm sure a bunch of these have since made their way to DVD. I know Song of the South for instance has made its way to some bootleg release (and also helped ignited a pretty severe argument on this very forum recently haha).

VHS tapes are a little similar to vinyl. All the really good stuff has made its way to more recent formats A LONG time ago. However, as these were both dominant formats for 10+ years it stands to reason that there is a ton of crap people never saw any reason to transfer over.

As for me I have enough crap readily available on DVD and streaming that I'll probably never get around to watching. So my desire to hunt for obscure VHS crap isn't that intense.

The only thing that really sticks out is the original VHS version of I Was a Zombie for the FBI. That film actually did make it to DVD, but in a severely different form. George Lucas would wince at the alterations made to that film. For those who don't know when the DVD was released in the 2000s the director re-shot about half the film with significant changes. He then took out the old half and mixed the new stuff and old stuff together. It would be different if the DVD did the easy thing of releasing both versions. But only the new edit was released with a completely different soundtrack and literally half the original film missing.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 09:05:57 AM by dcj2112 » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 10:58:52 AM »

If you hunt enough you'll be surprised what you find :)

Just check out these two links from a quick Google search:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls000028642/

https://bandsaboutmovies.com/2019/06/28/ten-movies-that-were-never-even-released-on-dvd/

As I said this was a quick Google search that literally took me less than 10 seconds. I'm sure a bunch of these have since made their way to DVD. I know Song of the South for instance has made its way to some bootleg release (and also helped ignited a pretty severe argument on this very forum recently haha).

VHS tapes are a little similar to vinyl. All the really good stuff has made its way to more recent formats A LONG time ago. However, as these were both dominant formats for 10+ years it stands to reason that there is a ton of crap people never saw any reason to transfer over.

As for me I have enough crap readily available on DVD and streaming that I'll probably never get around to watching. So my desire to hunt for obscure VHS crap isn't that intense.

The only thing that really sticks out is the original VHS version of I Was a Zombie for the FBI. That film actually did make it to DVD, but in a severely different form. George Lucas would wince at the alterations made to that film. For those who don't know when the DVD was released in the 2000s the director re-shot about half the film with significant changes. He then took out the old half and mixed the new stuff and old stuff together. It would be different if the DVD did the easy thing of releasing both versions. But only the new edit was released with a completely different soundtrack and literally half the original film missing.

Yeah, I should have said "not much I'm interested in seeing that's on VHS but not on DVD or Blu-ray." And distributors like Severin and Vinegar Syndrome keep pumping out these old VHS-only ones on DVD or Blu-ray every month.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2020, 05:03:26 PM »

I was just cleaning my place and went through a box of free stuff I picked up a couple of years ago. It had some VHS tapes including some from the 2000s. For me it is kind of odd to see things like The Animal and Scary Movie 2 on VHS. In the DVD bargain bin on Walmart sure, but on this media it really hits home that 2000 really was 20 years ago!

I remember around this time they really tried to bulk up VHS tapes since they were starting to die out as DVDs took over. They’d even squeeze on as many of the DVD extras as possible without overloading some. For instance I remember they did that with The Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps. It had a bunch of trailers (nothing new there for VHS tapes), but also a pretty lengthy behind the scenes thing, a Janet Jackson music video, and maybe some other stuff.

Anyway, just a random thread about VHS tapes from this era. Any thoughts? Do you have any?

I have one VHS movie from the 2000s, Rush Hour 2 (2001) that I received for Christmas 2001, from an ex-girlfriend's nephew. I had bought my first DVD player, a huge RCA beast about the size of a laserdisc player, in 1999 for $400 bucks and had sworn off VHS for good after that. When my first DVD player finally crapped out on me in 2004, I bought a replacement for it from Target, a cute & tiny little thing with the exact same features as my first one for $30 bucks. I should have waited 5 years and saved myself $370 but you live and learn, I guess.  TeddyR

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  VHS Tapes from the 2000s « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.